PDA

View Full Version : Questions....about disability and such...

letsbeatthis
03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
HI -

I just joined the forum and think you are all great. Like i said in my intro i have a 7 yr old daughter that her father is refusing to pay child support, we have been in court for 2 years.....i attend Washington State University full time and don't work, have been able to live off of the grants/ lons after books which is a VERY small amount. Because of the no income while in school, my daughter and I are on State Medical, thank god because i would never be able to make it otherwise.

My question (was just giving a little info) is i hear a lot about disability....my sister (who died less than a month ago due to health reason) was on disability....i have never looked into it because I wasn't sure how it would work with attending school, lord knows i miss enough school because of Lupus.....

Sometimes i have to admit i wonder if i am insane trying to finish school... i know it is a great example for my lil angel (Ashley) but is the disease going to progress to the point that i can't even work by then? i know that is impossible to tell, i should graduate Fall 08....

Also, it is just Ash and I, i cant seem to find a man to date that either doesnt have a problem with me being sick, or that i can tolerate , lol... i mean that seriously....and im not being self-rightious or anything, its just not a connection.....

I think i have rambled enough, if anyone would contact me if intersted to chat with me about any of the questions/ problems please do so, i also have some grievance issues with my sister's death, we were best friends for 21 years.....i appreaciate anyone who contacts me....

Jen

angela
03-13-2007, 10:44 PM
hi there! i don't see why u shouldnt check it out. i got it with absolutely no problems - my counselor said that my case was the fastest processed she's seen in her 25 yrs with social security. however i dont think im the norm though. i wish my experience could be for everyone who needs it. now that i have it, it's a god send. i get payments for myself, and my 5 yr old daughter, along with medicare which you get if you are under 65 and are on disability. the amount you is based on what you've paid into social security over the years.

i suggest you apply in person so that there's a personal connection, so they can see your situation. i truly believe that's why i had NO problems with my application.

well, i hope this helps and i wish you luck :wink:

letsbeatthis
03-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Well i will look into where the nearest office is because i live in a college town and all obviously and there isn't a lot here.....i was just afraid they wouldn't because they might think "well if she can go to school.....etc", also i do have handicapped status with the state dont know if that makes a difference either.(hated that but sometimes i swell bad and hard to walk...) thanks for your input..Jen :D

MARYCAIN
03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Jen - there are two types of "disability" programs available through the federal System - Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and "Supplemental Security Income" (SSI) You can only qualify for SSDI if you are "insured" - in other words, if you have worked and paid into the social security system for a certain number of "credits". The number of work credits required depends on your age, but you still have to have a minimum number of credits to be eligible for SSDI.

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is funded through general taxes, not social security taxes, so you don't have to met a minimum work requirement. It is available for elderly, blind or disabled individuals with "limited resources" - the income cap varies from state to state. To qualify for SSI, you must meet the Social security definition of "disabled", and have very little "countable" income or resources. You can use the benefits eligibility screening tool on the Social Security Administration website to see which programs you might be eligible for -

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps7/best/benefits/

letsbeatthis
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time and letting me know all that info !

Jen