PDA

View Full Version : photosensitivity

nizzmo
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
My girlfriend and I are considering moving down to Florida, where I am from. The hospitals their are much better and we both love the beach. She was diagnosed with lupus 10 years ago and has never been bothered by the sun. She says she feels much better when she is in the sun. My question is how likely is it that this will change. Obviously if it becomes an issue we will have to move, but I am not sure how likely a change would be. Her symptoms havn't changed much and has no dermitalogical issues. Any advice would be appreciated. I know with anything she has to be carefull not to overdo it, but if it makes her happy and feel bettter can it be that bad?

Kokopelli
03-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Over exposure to the sun can make her sick, but if she tolerates it, it's her decision. Sun hasn't ever really bothered my mom too much either, except when she was on prednisone or having a flare up. Being in the sun is part of our nature as humans and some sun is healthy for us in a lot of ways.

The thing to remember with Lupus (and I didn't really understand this, truely until this board) is that it effects everyone differently....and it changes quickly. I'm sure that Florida is also good for those with joint pain, so even if she becomes sensative to the sun it doesn't mean you'd have to move. She'd just have to be careful about how much sun she's getting.

Personally, knowing a loved one has Lupus, I would probably try encourage that person to be careful with sun exposure. It doesn't mean they can't be in it or be outside, but maybe have a big umbrella for shade and alternate short periods of sunlight but be in the shade too...and always protect the skin with sun block.

But keep in mind that I'm not a doctor. I just hate to see my mom unhappy so I try to find ways to work with things she likes to make her life as happy as possible, and if sun was her thing, we'd work out something so she could get some, but still not over do it.

Good Luck!!! And never under estimate the advice of doctors either. That might be a question to ask the doc in Florida when you get there.

MARYCAIN
03-13-2007, 07:41 AM
You do need to take into account that the intensity of the sun is much greater in Florida than it would be in Vermont, so the amount of UV exposure would be higher for the same period of time. And that might make a difference. So she might want to start out slowly, just to make sure it's not going to bother her.

You can get more information about the UV index for any area at http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html.

nizzmo
03-13-2007, 12:10 PM
We are definatly aware of the difference in the UV index and we are both from the south. Her mother was Native American Indian and I think that may help with her tolerance for the sun. I just wasn't sure how likely it would be to change. We are set on Florida, but definatly want to move somewhere where it doesn't snow (like the 4' we recieved on valentines day) and as close to the ocean as possible. We are also trying to research health care in different areas and any input, either good or bad, would be appreciated.