PDA

View Full Version : Yeast infections

Razzleberry
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm wondereing if a yeast infection is more common with lupus. I seem to be experienceing one after years without one. Since I was just diagnosed with lupus last June this is new since then. My lupus manifests in UTIs frequently and now I'm wondering if the yeast is aonther gift from lupus. If so, can I sucessfully self-medicate with OTC or should I be calling my rheumy? As always, thanks for your input.

MARYCAIN
03-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Have you been on prednisone, imuran, or any of the immune-suppressing drugs? They can definitely trigger the yeast infections. So can the lupus, although the meds are often the culprit. It usually takes longer for someone with lupus to recover from a yeast infection because the otc meds don't seem to be as effective for us. So if a couple of days of otc treatment don't seem to be helping, you might want to call your doctor and ask about diflucan or one of the prescription treatments. And if you like yogurt, eating yogurt with active cultures will help too -

IloveHistory
03-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Hi MrsMurdena!

I get yeast infections so often that it's actually unbelievable! :x

Yeast infections can contribute to U.T.I.s as well, so if you manage to control the yeast infections, perhaps the U.T.I.s will clear up or at least, perhaps they will not occur so often?

I'm sure that your doctor will be able to help you. I've been on Diflucan, Sporanox and Nizoral, which all generally work pretty well; they are all anti-fungals. If you are struggling with terrible itching, I generally find Canesten cream to be very helpful (it's O.T.C.).

I hope that this helps!

Please let us know how you get on!

Keep well! :)

Missy
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Oddly enough, I used to get yeast infections ALL THE TIME before I was diagnosed with Lupus. Once I went on immune suppresants, they got better. I haven't had one in a really long time, but have gone off most of my meds and will be curious to see if there is some kind of connection. I don't know why, but this does all seem to be connected to Lupus.

My sister also gets recurrent UTIs.............

Good luck!!! they are not fun, huh?

Razzleberry
03-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes Marycain I'm on prednisone so that's probably not helping but after a week with OTC treatment it seems mostly better. If it recurs tho I'll call and see if I can get the Rx stuff.

I'm at my daughters helping with her newborn (it's absolutely wonderful!) and I've strained my back picking up the sweet little (10lb 5 oz) thing! It's screaming pain down through my bum and into my leg. Do you think lupus inflamation is making it worse than just a regular strain and thus the shooting pains? I hate to be a focusing on stupid aches and pains when I have a daughter and granddaughter who need me 100%. I'm being very careful to nap and get adequate rest.

Thanks all for your input on the yeast thing.

Laura07
03-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I got a terrible yeast infection about 2 months ago. It took a full month for it to heal completely. In the meantime, I gave it to Travis. :( We were both in pain. I had never had one before in my life. It was terrible! The doc said it was because he had me on such a high dose of antibiotics for bronchitis that I had. He said sometimes with that high of a dose, it can cause the yeast infection. :?:

IloveHistory
03-20-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Laura07!

Yes, your doctor is quite right. It is very common for antibiotics to cause yeast infections. I am extremely prone to them and so, whenever I go on antibiotics, I am given a course of high-dose Inteflora (probiotics). Perhaps this is something which you should suggest to your doctor in the future when he prescribes antibiotics for you.

I take probiotics everyday because I am so prone to yeast infections and this is a side-effect of some of the medications which I am currently on. You can buy most probiotics over-the-counter.

Keep well! :)