PDA

View Full Version : Flares? How long do they last and other misc....

Kat1224
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone,

I think that I posted the question in the wrong section before. I was asking about finger and hand numbness. Thanks to everyone who is answering my questions.

I was just wondering how long do flares usually last? I have been diagnosed two weeks ago with Lupus and I am on an anti-inflamatory Naproxen which helps abit with my joint pain but not much. I have found that it helps most with the migraines I was getting. I haven't had a migraine in the entire two weeks ( knock on wood). I do notice though along with my finger and hand numbness I sometimes see a funny light in my left eye. It happens almost nightly. I am also having restless legs at night when I try to sleep which is not often as I am also having insomnia. I start Plaquenil after seeing an eye DR, but I am still waiting for an appointment. Is all this related to the Lupus?

And sort of off topic but I work at an animal hospital as a receptionist, and I am currently on sick leave, but I am supposed to be going back to work at the end of March. I don't know if I can do it..with not sleeping and still being in so much pain, feeling sick all the time...
Do you all find that working full time is no longer an option, because I feel that right now not even part-time is in the cards!

Sorry this is so long and that it turned into a semi-rant, but this is all so overwhelming! :oops:

MARYCAIN
03-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi, Kat. It can be really overwhelming when you are first diagnosed, because there is so much new information to take in. Unfortunately, there is no way for any of us to tell you how long a flare might last - everyone with lupus has different symptoms, and everyone is affected differently by the disease. So some people might have a flare that lasts for a few days, for others it might last months. So it's important to look at your symptoms, and notice if there are things that make you feel better, or worse. For instance many people with lupus are very sensitive to UV light, so being outside without sunscreen might make you feel dizzy or sick, or cause a skin rash. Some people find that certain foods make them feel worse. After a while, you might find a pattern of "triggers" that make your symptoms flare up so you are able to avoid them. A healthy diet, plenty of rest, exercise and minimizing stress are all important in managing flares, but sometimes you will need medication. Hopefully you will be able to start plaquenil soon. It does take a long time for plaquenil to "kick in" - up to six months - so please don't be discouraged if you don't see results right away.

angela
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
amen and exactly what dearest marycain said. it is overwhelming! it's been almost 3 yrs for me and im still feeling my way around, but with resources like this board, you'll figure it out. and it will get better!!!

be well :wink: