PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk insurance

tahohvn
12-17-2003, 09:34 AM
I have been without health coverage since the end of October. My hubby was laid-off from his job in June and we just couldn't pick-up the $1,050.00/mth. cobra! I have been hitting brick walls when it comes to finding insurance. The company I was with for the past 12+years won't insure me under an individual policy because I told them about the Lupus. Now my rheumi told me NEVER mention the word! He said to specify a "non-specific autoimmune disease in remission" and he will confirm that info. What do you all think? Also, any suggestions? Thanks for the input.

batgirl
12-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi!
I don't know if this will work for you, but I read on the internet about a California government run program ccalled "California Major Risk Medical Insurance Program". I am putting the website link in the website forum for you to check out. I am not using it personally... I went back to school to get insurance :)...of course not an option for everyone. good luck to you- this is the major battle of our century.
I think Americans will look back in 75 years and say "what barbarians, they didn't have national (or state-wide) health care for everyone!?". Every other industrialized nation has national health care- what's wrong with us?

Gwen Miller
12-22-2003, 11:30 AM
California also has a program available called Healthy Families/Healthy Children. You may want to look into this, also.

With the Cobra notice I believe you should have received an Insurance Portability Notice which should allow allow you secure health insurance with minimal "pre-existing conditions" restraint. I will do some reasearch on websites that may provide more information for and post.

Good luck. Lossing health care coverage this a fear for all of us.