PDA

View Full Version : Cough - All by Itself?

mnjodette
02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I've had this cough a few days now. Deep, raspy cough - dry. And I seem to have to clear my throat about a million times an hour. No fever or runny nose or other 'cold' symptoms. The cough seemed worse when I woke up, so last night I slept on a wedge to keep me more upright. Don't know that it made a lot of difference. Just doesn't seem like my normal cold. Anything to be concerned about? I go to Mayo next week for an evaluation, so I guess they can check it out. But I hate to have my tests skewed by a virus or something.

MARYCAIN
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Jody, do you have any problems with acid reflux? I have a form of GERD (reflux disease) that is apparently very common with Sjogrens, but mine doesn't cause heartburn - it does cause the dry hacking cough - my doc calls it "microaspiration", where apparently tiny amounts of digestive acids get into your lungs and cause severe coughing because your lungs and windpipe are so irritated by the acid. Something about the fact that we don't produce enough saliva makes us more prone to this - I'm never researched exactly why. Lupus pneumonitis can also cause the "barking seal" cough, but you would probably feel like you were having a flare if it were lupus-related. So you might ask your doc about reflux.

mnjodette
02-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Well, now I have some mild cold symptoms along with the cough (just developed today) so I'm going to assume just your garden variety cold. Just came on so weird. I don't remember getting such a deep cough all by itself before. My doc said I could take most over the counter cold stuff, with the exception of echinacea and Ibuprofen, so I'll treat it that way and see what happens.

I have read about acid reflux and Sjogren's. It can actually be pretty serious if it gets out of hand. I'm also wondering if some of my chest pain is related to that sort of thing (esophageal spasms maybe?) Or am I reading too many descriptions of symptoms? I'm so tired lately, I'm not sure which end is up. I'm probably just feeling symptoms more than I would normally. The funeral and all the family company just wore me out - not recovered yet.

MARYCAIN
02-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm not surprised - you've been through a lot in the last few weeks with your mom. It takes a long time to get back to a routine. I hope you start to feel better soon - take care of yourself.

IloveHistory
02-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Mnjodette!

Just a quick message to say that I sincerely hope that your cough disappears and that you get better soon! :(

Feel better! :)

mnjodette
03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm 'laying low' for the next couple of days and should feel better. (Big, big snowstorm here - that'll keep me at home!)

Jody