PDA

View Full Version : flu shots?

surbet
12-13-2003, 09:44 AM
WAS DIAGNOSED ABOUT 3 YRS AGO.33/F/NY.MAJOR SYMPYOMS ARE FATIGUE AND JOINT PAIN.STARTING TO HAVE IBS (I THINK) :MY QUESTION...SHOULD LUPUS PTS GET FLU SHOT/ AND CAN I DONATE BLOOD?OH ONE MORE HOW ABOUT TANNING BEDS ?

muriate
12-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Hello

I was told by my rheumie that a flu shot is a must. But it will bring on a flare up. Not recomanded to donate blood. And tanning beds are also a no no cause us to make lupus cells. Any uv light causes this even florescent light is harmful

Saysusie
12-16-2003, 12:38 AM
That is so funny.....I was told by my Rheumatologist that flu shots are an absolute "NO-NO" :lol:
His rationale was, "with an already compromised immune system, the flu shot will bring about a flare and cause a viral infection which may lead to hospitalization!!"
Go figure! I guess it depends on the severity of your Lupus and your doctor!! :lol:
Since Lupus is a chronic disease, you cannot donate blood! Tanning usually uses ultra-violet light...another "no-no"
Try some of the tanning gels or lotions - be careful about their ingredients!
Saysusie

batgirl
12-16-2003, 03:43 PM
i heard that a "dead virus" flu shot (the normal injectable kind) is ok for us but not the "live virus" (which includes the new inhalable kind of flu shot). good luck!

muriate
12-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Yes the new nasal flu mist is live and no we should not take it

muriate
12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
That was the info I got also. I did ask the same question to the lupus foundation about a year ago and they said the same thing. That the injectable was dead. And that it would cause a flare up. But if we got the true flu that we were being given a shot for it would be very difficult to fight it. Due to the immunosuppression or us not having the ability to fight it off.
The only thing I can say is this disease has many of choices of treatment. ANd we must find a good rheumie and follow their advice each person is different. And research research research everything. And that proves this board helps us fight it as one.

tahohvn
12-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Out here in No. CA, my Rheumi also told me "no" on flu shots. Same reason: compromised immune system :?

JenHa55
12-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Hello,

I have been told by 3 of my docs including my Rheumatologist that we should get the shot - not the mist, but definitely the shot. The flu that you could get without it is much tougher on your body then the flu shot is. I have been getting the shot for at least 4 years and it has really helped keep me out of the hospital! That's for sure... Each doc is different but I personally find it helpful. It has never given me a flare, but that's just me. At times I feel I am one big flare - so hey...

tinajee
12-26-2003, 11:16 PM
I can really relate to your situation. I took the flu shot for the first time this year and so far no flu. My doctor insisted that I take it. But everyone please still be careful because there are several kinds of flus out there that the shot does not protect you from. Good Wishes For Everyone!