PDA

View Full Version : Finger and Hand Numbness

Kat1224
02-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi all, just a quick question: I have been experiencing numbness in my hands. It's kind of like pins and needles when your hand is asleep but it only last for 5 mins tops. Also some of my fingertips get swollen and numb. Is this normal? Thanks in advance!

msdawnie44
02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Ditto.....it seems to be the norm in some people....I have the same thing....and when it is cold out my fingers and toes turn white and go numb it will usually get better as long as I try to keep them warm....I get the tingleing all the time.....nearly daily....I just watch it closely and keep a journal for my next dr.s visist. I always call my doctor when this and something new crops up.....There are some great books out there also....you might want to check into...I just got finished with one "Lupus" A guide for the newly diagnosed. Sorry cant remember the aurthors name.....typical....brain fog is pretty much a constant as well. Good luck to you and god bless. Dawn

Kat1224
02-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks Dawn, I think I will pick up that book. I got a couple of other names of books to read as well. I think it's a good idea to read up as much as we can! About the numbness it doesn't seem to happen regularly but it is definately scary when it does happen.

IloveHistory
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Kat1224!

I don't know if this is normal, but I have exactly the same problem! :shock: My hands often go numb for approximately five minutes and my fingers are often swollen. :( I would also describe the sensation as an asleep/pins and needles feeling.

I'm afraid that I can't tell you what it is, as I have no idea either! Hopefully, someone will be able to shed some light on this! :?

Keep well and God bless! :)

angela
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
hey guys, i get the same things too, and i'm pretty sure it's called 'neuropathy'. it can be the numb, pins and needles or asleep feeling, or the creepy crawlies too. hope this helps!

be well :wink:

tess
03-02-2007, 02:44 AM
Hi, I'm Tess I'm a junior doctor working in the UK. Pins and needles and swelling in my hands was my first symptom of lupus and it was due to arthritis in my wrists putting pressure on the median nerve : carpal tunnel syndrome caused by lupus arthritis. It's different from when your hands go cold and white which is due to spasms in the blood vessels.

IloveHistory
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi!

I have had my wrists and hands ultrasounded and fortunately, I do not have Arthritis in my hands or wrists. :)

I think that what I experience is Neuropathy, myself.

Thanks for replying, Tess and Angela! :D

Keep well and God bless! :)

TammyR
05-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I have this issue too and never even thought of it being from the Lupus. My hands swell and tingle and I wake up with a feeling they are asleep. Mine just started a couple of months ago so I added it to my question list for my doctor. I keep finding something out new the more I read here.

Ruth1980
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I have experienced this for years...its so important to talk to your reuhmatologist about it, because usually they are the ones to be able to read the symptoms and help alleviate the symptoms. When I was 16, ( I am 26 now) I used to have horrible problems with my hands and arms going numb. I saw the a general practioner and he said it must be carpal tunnel. He gave me some stupid braces to wear that didn't do a thing. It wasn't untill I was diagnosed with lupus that my dr told me that the neuropathy was probably an effect of my lupus. It makes sense to me....I don't know if anyones else has this problem, but since being diagnosed I have gotten horribly clumsy. My legs sometimes just give out on me.

magistramarla
05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
I've been feeling the same numbness or pins and needles in my toes and sometimes my hands for the last three months. At first I blamed it on wearing dress shoes and being on my feet in front of a classroom all day. Then I noticed that it happened even on days when I wore my Keds, or even when I was home and berefoot all day. My toes usually bother me the most in the evening, and sometimes, it is somewhat painful to feel the sheets on them when I go to bed.
The leg suddenly giving out symptom that Ruth described was the first symptom that I had, over 10 years ago. I remember parking my car one day and getting out, to just suddenly sit down HARD on the ground because my knee just buckled. It frightened my young daughter, who was getting out on the other side of the car. Now it happens often, and I've learned to compensate enough that I rearely fall.
Marla

chichibug
05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I too get this peripheral neuropathy. I get it in my right hand and my feet.

Docs have NO idea why. I haven't pushed it to see about getting to the bottom of it.

I have SLE and vasculitis... And this problem got worse (exponentially) after I had my last heart surgery.

--Kristin

angela
05-07-2007, 01:34 PM
hi again everyone! as with you chicibug, i have vaculitis along with my sle too (can i have fries to go with that shake! :lol: i also have brain, heart, and lung involvement).

off topic for a moment - i dont know how else to explain the sle and the cns-sle stuff without eing all long winded! per my doc's, i thnk the sle is the heart/lung and regular 'ole lupus stuff, and then the brain stuff is the cns-sle, which the doc says is different, but the same???? so why cant i just say cns-sle? wouldn that cover everything? if you have a way to say all that better, pls let me know!! :roll: :lol:

so anyway, based on my docs, and a pathologist friend, hte neuropathy is the inflammation effect that the sle causes. in some people its true vasculitis (due to the sle maybe, like me). so much overlap that it hard to know which is what :x

hope this helps! :wink:

chichibug
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
"so much overlap that it hard to know which is what"

Ain't that the truth!

--Kristin :icecream:

tbird
05-15-2007, 10:26 AM
My hands all the way up to to my forearms I get the tingling sensations and numbness. I can deal with it fine I guess. I wish we could all get together somewhere - which I know is impossible- and meet and just vent and talk. It would be a nice thougt now wouldn't it! I hate to be a burden to my husband alway feeling funny or bad or tired all the time. But he is wonderful to me and understands. I have a 2 yr old too that really lights up my down days...He is great therapy. I just don't have time to be sick, ya know! Anyway, I hope this helps ya'll to know that we are all in this together. :lol:

magistramarla
05-20-2007, 09:43 AM
You're right Tbird! A convention would be a great idea. San Antonio is a great convention site!
Marla

lauclair
06-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Sounds like raynauds is common amongst us lupusites! That was the first symptom that I experiences. It gets worse over time, then when the correct medication regimin is found, it abates, except in the winter. I am working on ways to keeps my fingers warm in the winter, since I live in northern New England, it's not easy. I am trying make fleece mittins with a pocket inside for a warmer. It's the little things you don't think about, the door handle, the steering wheel, the keys! Then the fingers and hands blanch out, get all white and tingly. Then they just plain don't work. It's a pain in the patute, but I found that a parafin spa (cheap at Walmart) with the hot wax is wonderful!

icegurl121691
08-12-2007, 12:56 PM
the tingling pins and neddles feeling is called raynauds phenomen its a condition in which the blood vessels in the fingers and/or toes go in2 spasm when triggered by factors such as cold, stress or illness
i get the same thing sumtimes