PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarten

akcdoas
02-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Happy Friday,
I'm registering my son (who has discoid lupus) for kindergarten. I have mixed feelings about letting the school know about his lupus. I don't want him to be labeled and looked at differently. Also I feel if the school knows he has lupus, they won't make sure he is wearing his hat outside and sunscreen. I think it'll still be up to him to remember that. So is it real important that I tell?
Please let me know what you all think.
Thanks,
Kelly

Missy
02-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Oh, that's a tough one and everyone has different experiences. It really has been a positive thing for me to share about my Lupus. Most people that know me know I have Lupus, and in that way I've educated a whole bunch of people that wouldn't have known........

I don't have kids, but personally, I would tell the teacher. Then, they would take it seriously about the hat and sunscreen. It's an opportunity to educate school personnel about this disease. Also, there might be a way to educate other kids in the future. Kids are very open and impressionable when young, and I think that any opportunity they have to learn about others' differences is a good thing. I teaches understanding. Diseases don't make us bad and shouldn't have to be hidden. I think this is an opportunity.

MARYCAIN
02-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm afraid if you don't tell his teachers, they will probably be calling you every time he has a rash or a lesion for fear it is something contagious, which could be stressful for both of you. If you have some information printed off the internet, or a brochure from your doctor, you could share that with his teachers to explain the importance of hats and sunscreens. Most teachers are used to dealing with children with specific medical needs, and they take their responsibilities seriously. I don't think they will view him differently.

littlered
02-26-2007, 08:16 AM
The truly great thing about kids is that early on, they don't SEE any "differences." I'm with the other posters here. This is a great time to teach the teachers and the other kids about Lupus. So many people know so little about this disease. And as a teacher myself, if you don't tell the teacher about it, she won't know how important the hat/sunscreen are, and she would want to know.