PDA

View Full Version : Does massage cause flares?

Milagro
02-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I am still learning what causes flares, and I have really struggled this week. I had a massage at the end of last week and one on Monday. Could this have done it?

Missy
02-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I think flare causes are different for everybody. I've been getting massage pretty regularly and haven't had any problems. I think it helps my circulation.......I'm interested to see what others think.

angela
02-16-2007, 11:49 PM
hi milagro! i get what i think are flares after a massage too. i started getting reflexology to see if that is defferent and it seemed to be. i have'nt gone in a while because i'm in teh midde of a really bad flare. i hope this helps! be well :)

Laura07
02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I hope it doesn't cause a flare for me. I am going tomorrow to purchase a shiatsu massager. My back has been killing me, so I hope to find some relief

Milagro
02-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks all. Laura, I think a massager will be okay. I had two hour long intense massages about 4 days apart.

I think I'll stick to the lighter massages and reflexology after this. Thanks!!!

ganesha
02-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I get massage fairly regularly and I have never thought it to trigger any type of flare in me, but I do know that when I dont drink enough water for the next day or so I feel pretty crappy. Massage releases toxins into the blood and makes you feel bad, so the water flushes them quicker. So make sure you drink LOTS of water afterward. I also feel that deep pressure is worse for me. Also sometimes a therapist may interpret your swollen joints as overuse, not Lupus and give them too much attention. But overall I love massage and seek it out as often as possible. Good luck
Brent

GlassHalfFull
02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Myofascial massage and accupuncture help me. But they are right about the water after -- you really need to stay hydrated.

Could something else be causing flares -- like sun exposure, stress, overwork, food allergy, etc?

MARYCAIN
02-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Just one caution - anyone with osteoporosis or osteopenia should check with their doctor before they have shiatsu type massage or any deep tissue massage, or using a massage chair or a deep muscle massager - if you're osteoporotic - the pressure can be enought to fracture a vertebrae - if you've been on prednisone for a while, assume you probably have osteoporosis and get a bone density test first just to safe -