PDA

View Full Version : Could it be Lupus?

Levon
02-08-2007, 09:52 PM
First, I just wanted to say hi.

Second, I was hoping I could list some of my current symptoms and see if someone could give me their opinion on whether or not it could be lupus. I entered some of the symptoms on webmd and Lupus was the first thing that was listed.

Here's what I've been experiencing:

Achy, sore joints. Especially my ankles and feet. When I wake up in the morning, I walk like both my legs are in casts. I've been having this problem for over a year now.

Abdominal pain, bloating and gas. This has also been going on for about a year.

The occasional sharp pain on my side and pain when I breathe deeply. Sometimes it also feels like my lungs are wet. Again, going on for about a year or so.

Recently, within the last 2 months, I've been experiencing a lot of pins & needles and numbness in my fingers, especially at night when I'm trying to sleep. And in the last week my lips have been numb too. In fact, I tend to drool a bit when I chew gum...very embarrassing. Also, my ears sometimes go numb and have a burning sensation.

The rash...I experienced a "butterfly" shaped rash on my face (nose & cheeks and across the top of my hairline) about a week ago. The rash occurred on two seperate occasions and lasted less than a day each time.

I would appreciate any feedback. And yes, I do plan on going to the doctor in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

MARYCAIN
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Levon, I wish there were something constructive we could tell you - unfortunately, there just isn't enough information to go on. Some of the symptoms could be from lupus, but the tricky thing about this disease is that it can mimic a hundred other diseases. So it can't be diagnosed - even by a doctor - on the basis of symptoms alone - the diagnosis has to fit into a whole pattern of symptoms and lab results. Non-specific symptoms like achy joints, abdominal or chest pain, numbness and tingling could easily fit with a dozen different diagnoses other than lupus. So I'm sorry, but I think you will have to wait for a doctor to weigh in on this one.