PDA

View Full Version : I guessed wrong on my ana test 1:1280

kkgadro
02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi! Everyone I thought my ANA test came back at 1:12 but It is 1:1280 which I am guessing is alot higher than my previous test result of 1:640. I know the 1:640 was positive. Now I am really positive. What does it mean for it to up so much higher. Does this mean the disease is getting worse? Because I am feeling really good. Just the arthritis is bothering me. Whats up with that?
Thank you
Kathleen

MARYCAIN
02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi, Kathleen. ANA numbers can be very confusing, because of the way the test is done. An ANA test involves diluting a blood sample repeatedly until no ANA is detectable - the result is reported as a "titer", such as 1:40, etc. But because the amount of fluid used to dilute the sample doubles each time, so do the numbers. This means the numbers go up very quickly - 1:40 - 1:80 - 1:160 - 1:320 - 1:640 - 1:1280 etc. So the difference between 640 and 1280 sounds huge, but it's actually only one dilution, and doesn't necessarily mean the disease is more severe or more active. It is typical for your ANA levels to go up and down throughout the disease and ANA levels don't correlate to the severity of your lupus. So it's good to know your ANA numbers, but don't get too stressed out by the numbers - neither diagnosis nor treatment is based on your ANA levels. Your other blood work, including sed rate, c-reactive protein, and complement levels are a much better indicator of whether the disease is active. Hope this helps.

kkgadro
02-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Thank you. This was very easy to understand and very helpful. I definitely learned something new. I wish I could find info like this online myself and not bother any one but then I would not have met someone like you. Thank you again

MARYCAIN
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Kathleen, it's never a bother for anyone to ask questions - that's the great thing about a support group - we can ask all the stuff our doctors don't explain very well. :)

Kokopelli
02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
So, silly question...what is a "normal" ANA? I saw my mom's on the nurse's computer it said .58something and I wasn't at all sure what that meant and neither was she.

Saysusie
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Kokopelli;
The results of an antinuclear antibody (ANA) test are expressed in titers. A titer is a measure of how much the blood sample can be diluted before the presence of the antibodies can no longer be detected. A titer of 1 to 80 (1:80) means that antibodies could be last detected when 1 part of the blood sample was diluted by 80 parts of another liquid (usually a dilute salt solution). A larger second number indicates that the antibodies are present in greater concentration. Therefore, a titer of 1 to 320 indicates a higher concentration of antibodies in the blood than a titer of 1 to 80. Normal values may vary from lab to lab, but generally, SLE can be present with titers from 1 to 40 and higher.
I hope that I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Kokopelli
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Thank you Saysusie. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

IloveHistory
02-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi!

If your A.N.A. Test is negative, does that mean that the titre is too low to be significant or that it is 0?

Keep well! :)

Saysusie
02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
It means that it is in the normal range. Normally, ANAs are described as Negative when they are less than or equal to 1:40 dilution.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

IloveHistory
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi Saysusie!

Thanks very much! :)

Sorry, it must have sounded like a very silly question, but I had to ask!

Keep well! :)

Saysusie
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
NO.....there is no such thing as a silly question here. Please don't ever feel that way. Every question is important to whomever asks it..at least that is how I treat each question!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

IloveHistory
02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much, Saysusie.

The support, advice and encouragement on this Forum really means SO much to me and to many others out there, I'm sure. I really, seriously and honestly appreciate every single one of you more than you could ever imagine! It's wonderful to know that everyone is so friendly, helpful and supportive, no matter what your age is.

Keep well and God bless! :)

Saysusie
02-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Thank You for your kind words. And remember, you can ask us anything at all. Tell us anything and even just vent your frustrations...we are here to help you in any way that we can!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie