PDA

View Full Version : bad chest pains, but they only lasted about five minutes

homenow
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
I've had this five or six times over the past five or six years. My doctor did a heart test (adenosine something-er-other) and my heart was fine. So when I got this again last Saturday night, I didn't call emergency--I just waited for it to go alway.

Can pericarditis or costochondritis (sp) last for just a few minutes like that?

beth2300
02-07-2007, 05:54 AM
hello - i have had the same thing lately - 3 or 4 times. the pain is unbearable. ekg came back fine, but have an appt fri with pulmonary dr.
could the pain be from the lupus pneumonitis? it feels like what a heart attack would feel like i think.

MARYCAIN
02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Esophageal spasms are fairly common in both lupus and sjogrens, and they can cause bouts of intense pain that feels like it comes from the heart. Normally the pain only lasts a few minutes and goes away, but sometimes spasms can last longer. So if your doctors have checked out your heart to rule out angina, ask about esophageal conditions, as many of them cause episodic chest pain.

homenow
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
MARYCAIN,

Thanks so much for your response! I bet that's it!

I thought I had a tumor in my throat because I constantly coughed and swallowed, and I could feel something go up and down when I swallowed. Come to find out I had GERD, but the strange part is, I have never had heartburn!

I'm due to have a colonoscopy in a week or so, maybe I should ask for the whole up and down routine, yes? :)

MARYCAIN
02-07-2007, 09:15 AM
As long as you are going for the other test anyway, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask for an endoscopy too. That way your docs could rule out any serious esophageal problems.