PDA

View Full Version : Connection between Lupus and Psoriasis?

littlered
02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi....My daughter has TERRIBLE psoriasis....it, too is an autoimmune disease as I understand it. Is there a connection between the two? Thank you. Love, Kathy

MARYCAIN
02-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Yes, there is a particular gene - Runx-1 - that is associated with a genetic predisposition for psoriasis, SLE, and RA. Having this particular genetic change doesn't mean you will inevitably develop an autoimmune disease - just that your risk is higher than normal. The genetic material binds to a different chromosome in each of the three diseases, so having the gene doesn't increase your risk of developing all three, although researchers aren't sure why one person develops SLE while another develops psoriasis from the same altered gene, so there are factors they can't fully account for, like environmental triggers. Many psoriasis patients develop a form of arthritis that resembles lupus arthritis, so they have that in common too.

littlered
02-05-2007, 08:10 AM
MaryCain, thank you so much for anwering so quickly. She has no insurance, but I plan on getting her to my doctor as soon as possible. My poor baby's SKIN--I can't stand to see her suffer like this. Love, Kathy (P.S. Over the counter cortisone creams do NOT work well for her.)

MARYCAIN
02-05-2007, 08:21 AM
The OTC steroid creams aren't strong enough to help psoriasis - and I will tell you up front that some of the prescription psoriasis meds are enormously expensive, so I would suggest contacting a prescription assistance program once she has her prescriptions, rather than trying to fill them through a pharmacy. You might start with the Partnership for Prescription Assistance website. Until she can get into a doctor, there's an OTC product called psoriarid that's pretty helpful with the skin lesions - acne preparations that contain saliclyic acids or retinols can also be helpful but need to be used with a lot of caution if she has any lesions that are open or oozing.