PDA

View Full Version : Organic Food

Jukebox
11-30-2003, 07:33 PM
Hi people!!! :lol:
Are any of you on organic diet? I heard it is beneficial for our illness and such :?: If so, what do you usually include in your diet?

Cheers~

Saysusie
12-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Hi Jukebox;
I guess no one is on an organic diet :?
Tell me about it...are you on it? If so, what types of foods are you finding that help your Lupus symptoms!

Saysusie

muriate
12-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I have tried organic food. I found that the availability and price were two things that I could not deal with at this point. This past year I have been off work 6 months so far and had to cut back to part time. It did help when I was on it. Soy helped with hot flashes and the lack of chemicals did help my sed rate and c rates drop. I have found two things that help that are less espensive. My tooth brush now sits in listerine to help kill germs since I started this the mouth sores are gone. Also there is a lotion by Mary Kay it cleares and helps lesses the rashes. If you choose to get this any mark kay rep will know the lotion.
Muriate

Jukebox
12-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Generally, I heard that Organic food do not include meat...but instead of buying organic food, you can use something call the ozone sterilizer which "cleanse" the food. You can use it to clean the vegetable or meat you buy...it's as good as organic and you don't have to search for them...

muriate
12-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Does the ozone sterilizer use radiation to clean it? The whole reason for organic it not to have the food or meat sitting in nasty things to grown into each cell. I am not sure if the sterilizer is helping. Or maybe just exposing to more chemicals or radiation.

JenHa55
12-27-2003, 09:48 PM
I eat organic because I don't want the pesticides in my food and I don't want growth hormones in my meat. There are many reasons to eat organic but most of all, the way it's grown and the lack of crap put in the animals and plants. I heard the ozone thing is more hype then good. My nutritionist told me many reasons to eat organic, whether or not you are sick. You should see what they use on these farms and what they put in the animals that you are eating. Organic is pricey, but I have found it helps me - especially symptomatically.

Good luck. Just eat healthy overall and you should be good. I saw a nutritionist and she helped but you have to make sure they understand Lupus and what not to eat like alphalpha etc...

Good luck!

tinajee
12-28-2003, 04:30 PM
:?: Just wondering has anyone did any kind of study on what kind of diet is best for Lupus patients overall? I know some foods can have more helpful vitamins than others, but on the average these days most of the foods we eat are full of bad toxins and others bad things. If you do hear of any kind of diet study let me know please. thanks

JenHa55
12-28-2003, 06:00 PM
I hope I am allowed to do this but there is a website I have always found useful and my local Lupus Society has also checked it over. It's www.uklupus.co.uk

I live in Canada but this website has natural and medical information on Lupus that I have found helpful and I know they have nutritional facts on there that were well researched. Good luck

Saysusie
12-30-2003, 04:53 AM
Hi JenHa55;
No problem about posting web sites here. There is a forum on this site specifically for web sites though. Perhaps you can post it there also. :lol:

Thanx
Saysusie

JenHa55
12-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Thank you and I will post it on the other forum. It's a great site.

Thanks!
Jen

Joanne Hageman
01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Buying organic can be the most difficult of all things. Certified organic products tend to be the real deal, but we are often taken by name alone...

But, I have found organic to be extremely beneficial when you have to make a meat choice. I buy organic beef, chicken and also eggs.
The switch to soy milk seemed to help, but by far the most important dietary adjustment I have made for my lupus...which may be different than yours, is eating "cooling" foods.

I suffer a great deal of heat and inflammation. No citrus has helped also. Coffee is gone too ...sadly...I was a coffee-holic.
I have cut out tomatoes, and stick with not only cooling but also foods that are dry...as I tend to have edema. Keeping the balance of alkaline and acid helps lupus, especially those of us with joint pain. Buying certifed organic helps all of us...especially those of us who are not certain what toxins are bodies react to with flares.

I hope this helps!
Joanne

JenHa55
01-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Joanne,

You had an excellent point in making sure you are buying from a reputable company or you may be wasting your money but for the most part all organic is better.

For me, I have vasculitis and therefor need "warming" foods. I'm always cold. It's amazing how different things can be for all of us - it's all on an individual basis and talk to your doctor and see a nutritionist or something as well.

I also have to stay away from acidic food because of acid reflux and everything, mouth sores - all that stuff.

Take care and hope everyone finds the best nutrition plan for them.

frazzledfraggle
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I buy ONLY organic milk and I try my best to buy organic meats. The reason for this is the hormones that they use. Unfortunately, these cant be washed away.

I have found that non-organic milk makes me feel flu-ish and causes my skin to break out. My dermatologist says that it is widely believed that hormones in milk and meat are the reason for a sudden explosion in adult acne cases.

I figure, if the birth control pill sends me into a flare, added hormones of any kind cant be good.

Missy
04-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Me, too - I almost exclusively eat hormone-free or organic milk, veggies, and especially meat. I was doing this before I was sick, so I don't know if it helped keep symptoms at bay or if it has made a difference at all. Mainly, I feel better not putting chemicals out there in the world or in my body that were not intented by nature or necessary to my body!

When I can't afford all organic, I get free-range or no-hormone products, like eggs and milk. I think the milk tastes better, but my husband calls me a food snob!

Frazzledfraggle- very interesting what your dermatologist says about acne - I have heard they are thinking earlier onset of puberty in kids may be linked to hormones in foods, especially dairy products. Hmmmm.....

Missy