PDA

View Full Version : OT question about Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2007

homenow
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
I want to buy my this book for my daughter who just got her CMA certification. But I wanted to get the hardcover edition, not the paperback. But it seems that it's either in paperback or the PDA software that you put on a PDA. There is also a mini-CD version--is that the same thing as PDA software?

Are there any nurses out there who can set me straight? I would especially like to know if you have used the software on a PDA, and if so, what kind of PDA and was it easy to use, etc.

Thanks for your help!

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Most of the nursing drug texts come in high quality softcover rather than hardcover because a different edition comes out every year as new drugs are approved. Although I'm not a nurse I do use dozens of medical and nursing reference texts. The paperbound version of Saunders includes a mini-CD ROM, which has 400 different searchable and printable drug cards. A mini-cd rom is smaller than a standard cd, and fits into the deep well in the center of a cd player. So it will work on almost any PC with a cd drawer. The difference in this and the CD-PDA is that the PDA version is a software program (powered through skyscape, which is a major medical information vendor) that is more interactive than the text CD, and lets the user access different clinical information that isn't included in the text CD (which is basically the book in electronic format). If she already has a PDA, the software is very easy to use - it comes on a mini-cd or it can be downloaded from a website. If you want to check out all the different titles available for PDA, go to www.skyscape.com - they have the best selection of medical reference materials.

Butterfly RN is a nurse, and quarterhorsegal is a pharmacist, so you might want to send them a pm - I'm sure they will have some valuable input.

Congratulations on your daughter's certification - you must be very proud.

homenow
01-31-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks so much for your reply, MARYCAIN. My daughter works as a CNA in a nursing home and dearly loves the old folks. But she is not all that well (lupus on the way?) and she was hoping not only for a little better pay, but lighter duty as well.

LPN school is further down the road . . .

Do you have any recommendation on a PDA? I tried using the Internet feature on a Blackberry at work--horrible to use! Seems like a PDA would need a full-scale keyboard to really be user-friendly, no?

mnjodette
01-31-2007, 08:04 AM
My husband is the CIO at a university and he tested several PDAs for use by staff there. He likes the Palm Treo. There are a many models and it can be used with a variety of cell phone plans. I have a Palm Zire 71 PDA, but not one that I use with email - it's just my calendar and address book - very basic.

MARYCAIN
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Our office uses the Dell Axim X5, which runs on a windows mobile platform and isn't Mac-compatible. It has the advantage of being able to access wi-fi, which is nice when you don't want to carry your notebook computer around all day. But there are a lot of options available in the Palm series, and the high end Palms are about $100 cheaoer than the dell. The best one for your daughter will really depend on her specific needs - if she needs internet access, you might want to check with the wireless carriers in her area to see if any have a good deal available on a smartphone. But if you want to get her a PDA or a smartphone for graduation, it might be better to give her the money and ler her pick out the one she wants, because you almost have to play with several to pick one that feels right for you. There's a lot of difference in the various models between the style and stiffness of the keyboard, whether it's a full or half keyboard, how long it takes to load applications, and how easy the screen is to see. And if she works in a nursing home or eventually in a hospital, there might be restrictions on what type of electronic equipment she can have - a cell phone signal can interfere with cardiac monitors, implanted cardiac devices, pacemakers, so they are not allowed in most patient areas. So if you want something she can use at work, this would definitely be a factor.

homenow
02-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks SO MUCH for the great information. I'm gonna print it out and get with my daughter :)