PDA

View Full Version : Found out I don't have Lupus !!!!

carolyn
01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi..

I just learned that I don't have Lupus....even though my ANA count was high twice. I have something called Fifth Disease, aka Parvo disease....well, it's not a disease but a virus. My doc tested me for this and it came back positive. The joint pain can last any where from weeks to months to years. I'm just grateful it's not Lupus. I wonder how many people out there get tested for Lupus and have this virus instead. Hopefully not too many, but you may want to check it out....as my doctor was sure I had Lupus.

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi, Carolyn - I'm very pleased for you! This is one of the reasons why it's so important for doctors to look at all a person's symptoms before diagnosing lupus - not just the ANA result. But since fifth disease is a very common childhood illness, many people in the United States have been exposed in childhood, so there are people with lupus who would also have parvoB19 antibodies, even if the virus were no longer active. This is part of the reason why most doctors order specific antibody panels before they make a diagnosis, because there are certain antibodies that are fairly specific to lupus, that someone with fifth disease doesn't have. I do hope that your joint pain resolves quickly and you get to feeling like your old self again soon! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.