PDA

View Full Version : Trazadone Not Working - Now What?

mnjodette
01-29-2007, 07:35 PM
My doctor recently prescribed trazadone for my occasional sleeplessness. Problem is it doesn't seem to work very well. I don't fall asleep very fast, and I wake up off and on all night. I used to take Ambien but was not a fan of it - and some new info (according to my doc) indicates that it can be addictive. She thought trazadone would be a good alternative. Ambien worked for me. I fell asleep quickly, stayed asleep for about 6 - 8 hours and had no 'hangover.' Benedryl made me groggy in the morning, so those OTC sleep aids aren't helpful. If trazadone doesn't work, then what? What's working for the rest of you? I need to sleep! :sleeping:

MARYCAIN
01-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Lunesta has less potential for addiction than Ambien, but also lasts longer in the bloodstream, so you might feel hung-over the next day. I've heard very good things about Rozerem, which is supposed to be totally non-addictive and safe for long term use. I don't take sleeping meds unless I absolutely have to - usually relaxation techniques and my sound therapy machine do the trick, but if I'm hurting a lot and don't want to take a pain pill, I sometimes take Sonata. The nice thing about it is you can take it as late as 1:00 a.m. and not feel groggy at 6:00 a.m.

mnjodette
01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't take sleep aids very often either. Most nights I sleep pretty well - I have my little 'rituals' that help (I've always had sleep issues.) But if I have a bad night or two and know that I need to get some solid sleep, then I'll use something. I'll talk to my doc again and see what she says about Rozerem. I can't stand feeling groggy the next day (same reason I don't like to take narcotic pain meds) so Lunesta wouldn't work for me.

MARYCAIN
01-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I hate feeling groggy from any med - to me, that and nausea are almost worse than pain. I hated neurontin when I first started taking it because I felt so terribly sleepy all the time, I didn't need anything else to make me drowsy. It would drive me bonkers in the hospital when the nurses would wake me up at night to ask if I wanted a sleeping pill! DUH - what did they think I was doing?

littlered
01-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I, too, take Trazodone and Neurontin. Usually they help me sleep, but if I am really "wound up" for some reason, I'll be awake for awhile. I tend to sleep later than I normally would, so I don't feel the "grogginess" (is that a word?) I've had sleep issues most of my life also. I don't EVER drink caffeine (I'm abnormally sensitive to it) bt--I love to eat chocolate, esp. at night. Imagine my horrific surprise when I found out that chocolate, especially the dark kind, which I adore, has LOADS of caffeine in it. Awwwww noooooo! :cry: When I have insomnia, I write rambling emails to my nephew, who's in Iraq. He is so hungry for email from family, and it keeps me busy. (He, by the way, has no trouble sleeping because he works 15 hours a day. The only thing that keeps him awake is worrying about the spiders and the scorpions.)

Milagro
01-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Ho much trazadone do you take? I have been on it for about 3-4 years and am rx'ed 150 mgs. At one point I was taking 250-300 mgs! Now I am down to 1/4 to 1/2 a 50 mg tablet.

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Kathy, do you have any trouble sending his "care packages" to your nephew? I didn't allow enough mailing time this past Christmas and my cousin ended up getting her Christmas treats for New Years instead. So I sent her valentine package early this year. I always send enough for her to share, and a big box of ziploc bags every time. She has complained about the spiders and the constant sand in everything (thus the ziploc bags), but not scorpions. I wonder if anyone manufactures a scorpion repellant?

littlered
01-30-2007, 01:28 PM
MaryCain, it does take forever for him to get the things I send. He didn't get my Christmas stuff til January 6th. Funny, but the things he misses terribly are: Velveeta cheese, oreos, and those cheese crackers with peanut butter. Also he begs for Reese's Peanut Butter cups! He'd love it if I could send him BEER but of course I can't do that! He is such a doll. He looks exactly like my brother did at that age, and wears his helmet cocked the same way my brother wears his hard hat! I love him so and he is doing a VERY dangerous job (don't think I should say it here.) When I see the conditions he is living in, I want to weep. I tell him all the funny stories I can think of, because he REALLY needs to laugh. He catches scorpions in 2 liter bottles. He cuts the top off and ties string to the top, then puts cracker crumbs in the bottom. He says the scorpions crawl in, then he yanks the string until the bottle is upright. Makes me shudder!

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 02:04 PM
What my cousin misses most is being able to wear makeup! Of course, that's probably not an issue for your nephew - LOL. She loves chocolate but I've not tried sending her any for fear it would melt - I do send her fancy european cocoa but what she loves are those Crystal Light individual packages you can mix into bottles of water, so I always try to send a lot of those because all the people in her unit beg for them- also baby wipes. lotions, lip balm, playing cards, etc. If I know I won't have time to get a package to her, I sometimes send PX gift certificates through the AAFES because they get there faster, and she can use them to get goodies from the PX. But it's still not as much fun as getting a box from home, so I try to send boxes as often as I can.

biancavizz
04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I was on trazadone and I had REALLY BAD side effects. I had terrible nightmares.. horrible ones I won't even begin to explain..
So i got off of that fast!
Now i am taking oh darn, i forget the name i believe it's amo-amitryptaline, but it doesn't matter because they're not very helpful at all. i'm awake all the time.
The good thing about trazadone though is that it knocked me right out!
And with the ones i'm on now, like trazadone, i still feel very groggy in the mornning. I rarely ever want to drive.

Good luck!

kkelly
04-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Trazodone gave me the spins - it was bad. I hated it. I take Imovane - not sure if they have in US. Its pretty good, no real hangover but I can't sleep without now which I hate....

littlered
05-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow, I am glad it is not just ME that gets wierd dreams from Trazodone. Mine aren't really "nightmares", thank goodness, but are always very, very vivid. They are so real, it takes time for me to wake up and realize that it was just a dream. I don't mind the dreams, as that means I am getting deep sleep (something almost nothing else gave me.)
But--
You can develop a tolerance to the trazodone. I started on 150 mg at bedtime, and now take 300 mg. My doctor told me that it's important to take it 20-30 minutes before bedtime and then GO TO BED. There's some kind of "time window" involved. If you stay up too long after taking it, it can backfire and actually keep you up. (I had this happen a couple of times.)
My nightly ritual: I run the water for a bath. I take my nighttime meds. Then, I rub a good cold cream into my face.
I take a warm bath, thoroughly washing off the cold cream, put on my pj's, brush my teeth and apply night moisturizer (eye cream, etc.) I turn on my nigt sounds machine (I like the rainfall one.) By this time, I am sleepy and I go to bed. Works every time. I keep a dream journal, and I do find some insightful things from these dreams.
I hope you do find a good way to get some great rest. We need it to stay healthy and sane. Love, Kathy

mnjodette
05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I still have my prescription for trazadone, but I'm using Ambien again instead. It works for me (when I need it). Fortunately, I'm sleeping a bit better on my own (without help) now, and only need to take something to sleep once or maybe twice a week. I'd really rather not take anything if I can help it. Speaking of weird dreams, I've never had dreams more weird and vivid than those I had when I first went on prednisone...they were really bizarre!