PDA

View Full Version : Mycelex?

ganesha
01-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Today at my nephrologist appointment he prescribed Mycelex (Clotrimazole) to prevent thrush due to the cellcept (1000mg/day) and Prednisone (60mg/day). I did a search here and did not even get any results on this drug and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Is thrush really such a concern that I need to suck these lozenges twice a day? I appreciate his breadth of knowledge and trying to steer me clear of problems, but I always like to know what I am taking and that it is absolutely necessary. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
Peace
Brent

MARYCAIN
01-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Having had oral thrush on several occasions during cytoxan and/or high dose prednisone treatment, I can tell you that it can be very serious indeed if it gets down into your esophagus, trachea or lungs, which can happen very easily if oral thrush is not treated. My doctor has prescribed various meds including diflucan (fluconazole ), the mycolex troches, and the dreaded Nystatin "swish and swallow", which makes me sick every time I use it. The mycolex is pretty nasty too, but not as bad as the nystatin. I try to eat at least two servings of yogurt with active cultures every day when I'm on the immune-suppressants, plus I use a toothpaste and mouthwash with tea tree oil, which is a natural antifungal agent. You can also take probiotic capsules if you can't tolerate yogurt. That will help reduce the chances of getting thrush as severely or as often, but if you do get it, it needs to be treated. Oral thrush is not just a nuisance when you're immunosuppressed - it can create major health problems.

ganesha
01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Thank you so much for the reply. I eat yogurt everyday already to combat the antibiotics and to get calcium, so I am doing that already, and I will get toothpaste with tea tree. I filled my mycelex script, but think I will likely not suck them twice a day. I cant eat candy without biting it and it tastes good, so a nasty lozenge will be a huge challenge:)
Thanks again,
Brent

Milagro
01-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I am fairly new here and noticed your bio at the end of your post. I'm intrigued by your use of medical marijuana. I have never met anyone who is doing this. What form do you use and do you find it helps with the lupus too?

ganesha
01-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I will be sending you a message, so make sure you check them.
Brent