PDA

View Full Version : A question about our Immune Systems.

Lula2ya
01-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question? We as lupus patients have over active immune systems... correct? Then SHOULD WE be taking supplements to "build-up" our immune systems OR is this a bad idea? I'm always hearing... take this and that from people.. it builds up your immune system. I am very careful about what I take and don't listen to most of them. I'm thinking it's a bad idea since we are usually put on immunosuppressants. If we take methotrexate or drugs like this isn't building up your immune system going against what the drugs are doing? I am very curious if any of you have ever discussed this with your doctor. Or just curious about what you all know. I'm asking my doctor next time I see him. Hope you are all well.
Thanks.
:?

mnjodette
01-24-2007, 07:20 PM
That's a good question - I'm glad you asked. I'd love to hear what others have to say about that. My rheumy knows I take Omega 3, calcium and a multi-vitamin (with B6 and B12) and an antioxidant supplement. She said it's all OK. I wouldn't take anything else without asking her first - I agree - we have to be very careful about listening to the well-meaning advice of others when it comes to taking this or that supplement.

MARYCAIN
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
There are certain things like echinacea, goldenseal, and zinc that lupus patients definitely need to stay away from - several of us have found out the hard way that they can trigger a nasty lupus flare. So can anything with alfalfa, which is an ingredient in many herbal arthritis remedies. Anything that stimulates the immune system is bad for a lupus patient, since our immune systems are in hyperdrive anyway. There are various alternative remedies like plant sterols that are used to "modulate" or normalize the immune system - these are different from the immune "boosters", and don't cause the same problems. I use some alternative remedies to minimize the side effects of the prescription meds, but they are usually things recommended by my rheumatologist, who is very interested in complementary therapies.