PDA

View Full Version : Chills

GlassHalfFull
01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I've been reading a lot here lately about how many people get the chills and I was just curious -- since I have always felt cold in restaurants or other people's house, wear sweaters in summer etc...

How much of this is Lupus vs other related conditions vs. meds for most people...

littlered
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Well, I seem to not be able to regulate my comfortable temperature at ALL! One minute I am shivering and the next I am too hot. It drives me crazy sometimes. I have learned to dress in "layers" so that I can put on or take off, as my silly body demands. love, Kathy

MARYCAIN
01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a portable electric heater and a fan both sitting in my office - like Kathy I seem to fluctuate between hot and cold with no predictable pattern. I think mine is more hormonal and meds than lupus.

Quarterhorsegal
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Hmmm, don't know how to post a 'vote'. Anyway, I am definately in the 75-80 degree group. I get laughed at because in August when it is 90 plus degrees, I will get cold to the point of shivering. I do not like to be hot either, it makes me cranky, but it happens so seldom, that it is not really an issue with me like being cold. I never really considered it being related to a disease, but then I did not consider the sores in my mouth to be abnormal, or the nasty headaches I got multiple times a week, or the arthritis like pain that the doctors just shrugged and dismissed, so I did too, ect,ect. Oh, and by the way, I have a really low 'normal' body temperature too - 96.5 F.

Quarterhorsegal
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Nevermind, I just figured out how to vote. Nice girl...not too bright.

MARYCAIN
01-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, my "normal" body temperature is low too,, around 96.2 - it makes it hard to explain to doctors that when your temp goes up to 99.0, it's not just a "low grade fever". And many GP doctors don't seem to realize that steroids suppress fever - I'm had them tell me I couldn't have an infection because I didn't have a fever. Duh? Don't they teach those folks about steroids?

psalm 56 3
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
LOL ... Marycain, I have a fan and one of those plug in blankets throws in my office.
I finally figured out why I am always tired in the morning, it is from the constant thrashing I do at night. One minute I am hot the next freezing. Poor Bobby (husband) will wake up roasting because I threw all the covers over him. I figure it all works out in the wash, he wakes me up with snoring off and on.

Like you Kathy I have also learned to dress in layers. My daughter pointed this out to me a few weeks ago. It works for me!

psalm 56 3
01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Quarterhorsegal
I just read your post and noticed that you also have a low core temperature. Mine is not that low, it is usually around 97. My daughter is like that as well. I am definitely starting menopause and the hot flashes do not help. It would be nice when you are freezing but they come at an inopportune time. Typically it will happen when we are in church where they keep it on the warm side. Luckily it is momentarily as they only last a matter of seconds, for me anyway.

stjames13
01-17-2007, 10:02 AM
With the RAYNAUDS and CARDIO problems I have I am always FREEZIN !!!!!!

ST JAMES 8)

littlered
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Ahhhhh, menopause....I went throu it years ago, and had hot flashes, crazy mnopause-moments, etc...once i had passed, I was GLAD~! I am not on HRT because I've heard too many bad things about it, but my Primary Care Physician wants me to try it in cream form for my :oops: you-know. Does anyone know about this type of hrt?

psalm 56 3
01-17-2007, 11:28 AM
ST JAMES I have never put the two together before. I have heart issues as well so maybe that has something to do with it. All I know for sure is right now my hands are freeeeezing. I am not talking just a little either, my nail beds are blue. I am constantly rubbing them together and blowing on them as if I were outside in freezing weather. I never recall them being this bad before. My right hand is far more sensitive than the left. By the way I am praying for you. I hope you bounce back ASAP!

Kathy, I have been taking premarin for 6-7 years now. To my knowledge I have had no problems with it. I saw my doctor last month and she did her lab work and wrote refill for me. So I am assuming all is well.

mnjodette
01-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I also have a low core temperature - often less than 97. I know what you mean, Marycain. It is hard to get the docs to understand that 99 is not a low-grade fever when your 'normal' may only be 96.6!

I'm done with menopause and those hot flashes, but still fluctuate between freezing and sweating. It's not the same kind of hot flashes, however. My younger sister is always saying she can't wait for menopause (she's always cold) and I keep telling her to be careful what she wishes for. It is NOT the same as being cozy and warm..trust me!

IloveHistory
01-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi!

I also have a very low body temperature - 35.4 degrees Celsius (95.72 degrees Fahrenheit)! :?

I am always FREEZING and wear jerseys when the temperature is 31 degrees Celsius (87.8 degrees Fahrenheit)! I can't handle air-conditioners or those freezers in food stores! :( When I saw my Rheumatologist for the first time, he was wearing a short-sleeved shirt and he had the air-conditioner on full blast (we were having a heat wave at the time)! I was freezing and was turning blue/purple/etc., while he examined me and he actually had to turn the air-conditioning down!

My Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist says that it's probably the Raynaud's, but who knows? :?

Keep well! :)