PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried meditation for relief?

littlered
01-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I pray and I suppose that's meditation of sorts...but I have a friend who's undergoing chemo and she is very into meditation when the side effects are bad.
Feedback, anyone? I know NOTHING about meditation, but might be interested in giving it a try if it works....thanks. Love, Kathy

MARYCAIN
01-13-2007, 05:22 PM
It works for me - I use it for stress relief, and to get to sleep at night. I also use it when I'm in pain. It was also very helpful for me when I had to have some painful dental work done - I'm the original cowardly lion when it comes to the dentist. Does your friend do just meditation, or is she doing visualizations/guided imagery too? A lot of cancer centers use visualizations. I usually combine my meditation with aromatheraoy and that seems to help too.

browneyedgirl53
01-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi Littlered,

I discovered it when I began taking yoga, it takes time (because our society is so geared towards....move, faster, etc.)...it takes time to slow your physical momentum into a place where breathing becomes your momentum, and visualizing becomes your feet.....I love it, it's natures stop light (if you will) to help us guage our thoughts, perceptions, feelings, etc.

Try it my friend, it's a brand new year and nothing but life awaits your discovery. Hope you are feeling well.

Much love,\
Browneyedgirl

p.s. it's so flippin cold, I'm IN my house wearing gloves to type...now how crazy cold is that? ha ha (with frozen breath....and about now is when I meditate about those incredibly warm breezes and soft sand beaches, hooray !!! Giggle

littlered
01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
My friend doesn't do visualizations...she does things like" first, count 20 deep beaths" and so on. I am not sure what kind of meditation she does. She says if she ever writes a book, It'll be "Meditation for People who don't think they can meditate." She says she'll start it off by saying, "If you are too busy to meditate, consider this: You are not that d-mned important that you can't sare 20 minutes!" and so on. She has told me it helps her "escape" painful stimulus. I am intrigued. I may do some research on it...

MARYCAIN
01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I find music helps me meditate - I have several meditation cds and a sound therapy machine - combining that with aromatherapy helps me concentrate and block out distractions.

Missy
01-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Meditiation, visualizations, breathing and focus exercises.......they all have different meanings to everyone, but I've found them helpful.

You can look up Yoga Nidra (put your body to sleep, but mind awake - sort of meditative state) or pranayama (breathing focused exercises) to get started. Different paths have different forms of meditation. I think the key is to find what works for you.

I'm fortunate to get to do almost a 1/2 hour of guided yoga nidra every week at the end of my yoga class. In fact, I spent 1 1/2 hours on New Year's day doing a guided yoga nidra workshop. It was a great way to start the new year and for me it is more meditative than traditional yoga meditation (which is clearing the mind - not focusing on the breath or a mantra).

Good luck!

hooversmom
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Try "Full Catastrophe Living" by John Kabat-Zinn. This deals with mindfullness meditation for people with chronic disease and pain. My rheumy suggested and its been very helpfull. He has a whole program that you go through step by step.

mnjodette
01-15-2007, 04:56 AM
I learned guided imagery/visualization techniques when I was injured in car accident and was referred to the local pain clinic. I haven't used it in years, but I remember how helpful it was then. My husband meditates to relieve the stress of his job - he's been telling me to 'get on board' with it for a long time. Reading these posts, it sounds like it could be helpful.

littlered
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, I have read a little on meditation and have tried it in different scenarios: going to sleep, trying to calm nausea, and for pain reief. It works well for going to sleep. Not very much help for the nausea or the pain relief, though. My mind is just too active during those times. I do find that soothing music helps a TON~!

MARYCAIN
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Do you have an aromatherapy diffuser? You can find inexpensive ones at many health food stores - combining aroma and music can be very effective - the scents of peppermint, spearmint, ginger or rosewood can all be very effective in calming nausea. If you don't have a diffuser, soak a cotton ball in peppermint or spearmint extract and wrap in a hankie to make your own "smelling salts". peppermint, spearmint and catnip teas are all very tummy soothing - I like celestial seasonings "grandma's tummy mint". A combination of deep breathing and humming can sometimes stop to urge to yurp. And sometimes when I'm feeling really icky - instead of soothing music, I put on something upbeat I can sing to, or put on the funniest movie I can find. Laughter has an amazing healing quality.

GlassHalfFull
01-19-2007, 07:43 AM
You're right about laughter -- especially movies that are silly or so bad they're funny. I know everyone's senses of humor vary -- but what are some movies that fall into this category for folks? Don't forget that many library systems have DVD/VHSes and are set up so you can request any item in the whole network sent to your branch -- free!

I'll kick it off. In the silly category.... Better off Dead -- not as sad as it sounds for those not familiar with the film. John Cusack plays a hapless high-schooler whose girl friend breaks up with him. Watch as he trys to cope with a crazy family, the typical high school dynamics and a host of unbelievablly funny cameos with various characters that cross his path.

Saysusie
01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
"Better Off Dead" is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies and the movie that started my love affair with John Cusak!! His latest movie (The Ice Harvest)with Billy Bob Thorton is a dark comedy, but still funny!
I totally agree about laughter. I was an avid Sci-Fi/Horror fan, and to some extent, I still am. But, lately, I have found that I feel so much better when I laugh. So, I have moved into comedies. Some of my other favorites are:

"The Ref" (1994) with Dennis Leary, Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey. He (Dennis Leary) is a burglar who takes a family hostage, but they end up driving him nuts! It is intelligent and hilarious.

"Ruthless People" (1986) with Bette Midler, Danny Devito, Judge Reinholdt and Helen Slater. Bette Midler is kidnapped and her husband, Danny Devito, does not want her back and keeps egging the kidnappers (Judge Reinholdt and Helen Slater) to kill his wife. Sounds morbid, I know, but it also hilarious.

I could go on, but I'll stop here.
P.S. I meditate for 30 minutes (minimum) each and every moring, followed by affirmations for making my day be one of peace and blessings and to allow me to be a kinder, more understanding and more loving person than I was yesterday!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

GlassHalfFull
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Ruthless People is excellent -- I literally rolled with laughter on that one.

And I adore Dennis Leary! (Even though he curses up a blue streak in his comedy routines and TV show -- a bit over the top for me. I don't mind strategically applied words, but with him there's something in almost every sentence. ) I loved the small role he played in the Thomas Crown Afffair (remake) -- he was great in that. Like Cusack -- it's clear he's a very intelligent guy. Plus he's done lot's of charitable work for firemen/policement. He's soooo sexy in general, except for the smoking thing.

One other hilarious movie is He Says, She Says with Kevin Bacon & Elizabeth Perkins. It tells the story of the romance between two newspaper columnists / TV commentators from BOTH the male & female perspective. It is especially funny in a few scenes that exactly recreated from both views -- comparing some of the wardrobe differences, variations in how lines are delivered etcetera.

And then of course, there is St. Elmo's Fire. Here's my logic on that movie being an upper. Everyone in the movie seems so successful and lucky on the surface -- but they really don't have it together AT ALL. I always feel really (comparatively) good about myself after watching it. Is that awful of me?

I keep promising to try meditation -- but I never seem to have the ability to concentrate like that -- it actually makes me more stressed. Any suggestions anyone?

littlered
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
For laughs, I have always liked:
"Everything You've Always Wanted To Know About Sex..." (Woody Allen is just so unbelievably goofy!)
"Uncle Buck"
"The 40 year old Virgin"
"The Wedding Crasher"

(these last two are newcomers, but I got a chuckle.)

MARYCAIN
01-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm a sci-fi buff like Saysusie, but I love the old sci-fi and horror movies that are so incredibly cheesy, you have to laugh because the special effects are so bad they wouldn't scare a two year old. Like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and "It Came From Outer Space", not to mention "Bunnicula" and "Bambi Meets Godzilla".

mnjodette
01-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I really, really love movies. We don't get the chance to see as many as we'd like (never go out to movies anymore..just wait for them to come out on pay-per-view.) But, some of my favorites for a laugh are "A Fish Called Wanda" (some of the Monty Python crew in that one - John Cleese is a riot.) Also love "Midnight Run" with Charles Grodin and Robert DeNiro. Rober DeNiro is a bounty hunter bringing in Charles Grodin who plays a reluctant accountant for the mob. A more recent favorite is "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt - some of the best one-liners I've heard in a movie. One more..."Waking Ned Devine" about a small Irish village and a lottery ticket. Hilarious!

Saysusie
01-20-2007, 08:37 AM
OMG Marycain..speaking of cheesy SciFi and horror that makes you roll with laughter because of the so-called "special effects" and just the general terribly written scripts, how about: "The Giant Gila Monster" or "Atom Age Vampires" or "The Atomic Brain" or "The Attack of the Mushroom People" or "Plan 9 from Outer Space"
I am laughing out loud just thinking about those!! :lol: :D :lol:

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
01-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I love Plan 9 from Outer Space, but I have somehow missed out on the the Giant Gila Monster! This sounds like a must-see - hope it's available through netflix. The tiny drive-in near where we live can't afford to get any first-run movies (or even second run movies), so they decided to stay in business by running old b-movies and cult classics instead - they have western week with old John Wayne movies and spagetti westerns, and "horror week" with old B&Ws like "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dracula". They even show old Elvis movies and have fried peanut-butter and banana sandwiches at the snack bar. The speakers are tinny, the popcorn is greasy, and the JuJuBees taste like they were left over from the 60s, but you pay by the car instead of the person, so it's a cheap date for the teenagers and a bit of nostalgia for the old married folks. And it beats driving thirty-five miles to the nearest indoor movie theater. And seeing the original version of "The Blob" at a drive-in is just too much fun for words - it makes you long for a convertible and a guy with a flattop haircut.

Saysusie
01-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I LOVED drive-in movies and everything that you described made me long for it even more (even the decades old juju bees!). And, seeing the original "BLOB" with Steve McQueen would be the "feat de resistance!"

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie