PDA

View Full Version : Why are Doctors so Protective over Blood and Urine Tests?

IloveHistory
01-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi!

I don't know what the situation is like in the U.S.A., but I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the fact that I never get to see any of my blood and urine test results! :x

It is SO annoying! After all, it is my blood and urine that is being tested and I should have a right to see the results!

It's not that I don't believe my doctors when they tell me what the results are, it's just that I would also like to take a look at them myself, sometimes.

Sometimes, the doctors don't even tell you how the results come out (I experienced this all three of the times that I have been in Hospital recently - it's a certain doctor)! :mad: Infact, when I am in Hospital, I actually have to take a "sneak peak" at my Hospital file, if I ever want to know how my results came out! Then, I feel guilty, as if I was doing something wrong! :mad: It just isn't fair! :x

Thanks for letting me vent... Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Keep well! :)

mnjodette
01-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi, Val. You may want to check into patients rights laws there, and how they pertain to your medical records. The fact that you're still in high school (right?) might have something to do with it as well. Or, you could just have a cranky doctor. :wink: My doctors have been very open with me about that sort of thing, but I don't think they have much choice here. However, that doesn't mean some doctors don't try to keep those things from patients. I think it happens all the time.

IloveHistory
01-09-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi!

Thanks very much for your response! :) Yes, I suppose that my age probably has something to do with it, but most of the adults that I know have the same problem! I suppose that it's just a "power and control" issue with some doctors! :wink:

I've read that some people on this forum actually got their lab. results posted to them! I wish that they did that here too!

By the way, I'm not Val! :lol: Val is British, so I suppose that is why you assumed that I was her, but I'm South African! :lol:

mnjodette
01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Oops! :oops: Sorry about that. I'd attribute it to brain fog, except I made those kind of mistakes before I had lupus! :D

MARYCAIN
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Well, South Africa has a Patients Rights Charter that guarantees everyone the right to participate in decisions about his/her own health care. I would make the argument that it's difficult to participate on an equal basis unless the patient has access to the same information the doctors do. Your age would definitely be a factor in the US - unemancipated minors under 18 have few rights here as far as medical treatment issues go, but if you get your Mom to write a letter to your doctors specifically allowing them to share all medical information with you directly, and provide you with copies, then they probably have to comply. But someone in the South African department of health should be able to tell you specifically what rights you have to look at or copy your records.

IloveHistory
01-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi!

No worries Mnjodette! :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the wonderful advice, as always, Marycain! :) I suppose my age has a lot to do with it!

Missy
01-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I think it's great that you want to see your test results, and it's a bummer that your age might preclude such a bright girl from receiving info about her own body. I hope your parents are on board and can at least ask for the test results on your behalf, then pass them to you as well. I know that if I had a child with Lupus, I would want to have copies of all test results.

I do get copies of all labs I have done. I just sign a release every few months at the lab and copies are mailed to me. I keep my own spreadsheet to track changes and trends. I think that an informed patient is a healthier patient (both mentally and physically). My Rheumy was the one who started me doing this at the beginning.

I've only had one problem with this - where I was mailed a copy of someone else's labs in with mine. It must have been pulled off the printer with mine. I was really worried when I saw some of the numbers until I realized it wasn't mine. I was irate, because it had her full name, address, and birthdate. Of course, I called the lab supervisor, who took it very seriously, and insisted they call the patient to inform them. I also burned the copies in my fireplace.

Anyway, good luck!

IloveHistory
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi!

Thanks, Missy! :D

Wow! It sounds like you have a wonderful Rheumatologist! :)

That's quite scary that you were sent someone else's results! :(

Thanks and keep well! :)