PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry sensitive question!

hooversmom
01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I started on Cellcept the beginning of December. I also have a Mirena IUD. My rheumy couldn't answer this and my ob/gyn was in Tuscany in December and when I asked him today he was baffeled.
1. Are IUD's safe in patients treated with Cellcept as it is an immunosuppresent.
2. Cellcept is known to decrease the active ingrediant in Mirena when given as birth control pills, does the same hold true for the IUD as the mechanism is slightly different.

Sorry for all the sensitive ?'s. I can't find anything online and I really don't think its in my best interest to get pregnant, especially being 38 and with my disease out of control. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

I'm feeling terrible and really don't need one more thing to stress about!

Missy
01-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I have had the Mirena IUD for 4 years, 11 months and love it. I'm getting it replaced in February.

I have been on Cellcept for Lupus Nephritis since December 2003. The highest dose I was on was 2000mg a day and now I am on 500 mg a day. I have been on Prednisone (highest dose 30 mg), Plaquenil, and Lisinopril all while having the IUD.

I have told all my doctors about the IUD as part of my meds list and no one has ever mentioned it as contraindicated with anything I'm taking. I've never had a problem with it.

All I can give you is my experience - but I hope it's helpful!