PDA

View Full Version : Disease.....by Peter Hammond

ButterflyRN
01-08-2007, 09:05 AM
I was reading my journal of Christian nursing and I came across this poem by this man whom both he and his wife have been diagnosed with cancer. After reading it I thought how much it pertains to anyone. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Disease...

...is always a suprise,
...is an uninvited and unwelcome guest,
...sobers its host,
...introduces new fears,
...expands your vocabulary,
...is a declaration of war,
...is a complex challenge,
...heightens awareness of your body,
...puts death on the agenda in new ways,
...makes your doctor almost a family member,
...draws some friends closer,
...brings new friends, and scares others,
...introduces awkwardness in relationships,
...is not a suprise to God,
...is an unelected course in the school of faith,
...invites reflection on all of life,

...and, is not going to be in charge of me!

MARYCAIN
01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
I think I'm going to print it out in big letters and put it right where I can see it every day.

browneyedgirl53
01-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Sweet Butterfly,

I was so excited to see your post....I rushed right in to read it. Wow, isn't that so true? It makes me want to make a business card size, and when people ask me why I'm hurting so much - I can hand them this poem.

Thanks so very much for sharing !!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
01-09-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks, Butterfly. Loved this poem. It deserves a spot on my refrigerator. And the only other thing that goes there is granddaughter pictures, so you know that's a place of honor!

Jody

littlered
01-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Terrific! Now if only there was a space left on my mirror to put it....(it's so crowded with wonderful things that I can only see my face in it now!)

Saysusie
01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
You and me both Littlered :lol:
But, that's ok..I have more than one mirror. I am going to start pasting these wonderful words of wisdom in the guest bathroom!

Saysusie

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 11:54 AM
That is such a good poem. My sister-in-law lost her 43 year old sister to cancer 12-31-2006. She was buried on Saturday. As the Pastor stated, "She was too young to die". Now my stepmother is battling breast cancer again. She is in her second round of chemo and it is not looking good. We are all holding our breath. This is a great poem to send to her. She is a lot like me in her positive attitude. So I have no doubt she will like the last line the best! Thank you for posting it.

mnjodette
01-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Psalm, my sweet mother-in-law had two battles with breast cancer and won both times! She had many healthy, happy years after that. She lived well into her 80s. I pray that your stepmother has the same outcome.

Jody

psalm 56 3
01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
mnjodette I am going to hold on to that. Thank You for your prayers, I always appreciate them....

psalm 56 3
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
I received a call from my dad late last night. He said they got the test results back and for right now she shows NO signs of cancer. Now I can breathe easier.

mnjodette
01-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Wonderful news, Psalm. I'm so happy for you all!