PDA

View Full Version : Yummy recipe for baked potato soup...not Lupus related

littlered
01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
this is not Lupus related, but it's great comfort food, esp. in the winter--

6 slices of bacon (use turkey bacon if you're not into the real thing, but add a bit of olive oil.)
2 large onions, diced
1 tbsp flour
7 large russet potatoes
2 cups of milk (for lactose intolerants, use acidopholous milk.)
1 small container of sour cream (fat free if you're concerned about it.)
chopped green onions for garnish
shredded sharp cheddar for garnish
salt, pepper to taste

Fry the bacon, drain on paper towel, then fry the onions in the bacon fat until translucent.
Boil the potatoes, skin ON. After fork tender, cut half the potatoes into chunks, and mash the rest.
Transfer bacon fat and onions into a larger pot (a frying pan would be too small for this soup.) Add the tbsp of flour and stir for about 1 minute. (It should bubble.)
Add milk on low heat, add potatoes (SKIN ON) and let simmer for 30 minutes. Check frequently to make sure heat is low enough. (milk scalds easily!)Add sour cream and simmer another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with green onion and cheese.

This recipe is easy and soothing....even on "icky stomachs"! Bon Appetit

browneyedgirl53
01-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey Littlered,

THANKS FOR THE RECIPE, yummmy - here in the Pacific Northwest we've had nonstop rain for MONTHS, so hot soup sounds heavenly. I love baked potato soup. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks for sharing.....how are you feeling, my friend? It's 2 in the morning, I think I better go to bed.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
01-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Potato soup is my absolute favorite...yum. :D I'd never make it on the Adtkins diet! I'm printing this recipe and will make it as soon as it gets cold. The weather in Northern Minnesota is just amazing this year (sorry Browneyedgirl....I know you've all been suffereing in the Northwest.) It's been nearly 50 here this past week and we have NO SNOW. So weird. Maybe a little snow today and back down into the 20's this coming week..still above normal for here, though. We're all saving on heating costs, but I live in the country and have a well. I'm worried, worried, worried about our water. We had almost no rain last spring, summer or fall. Lake Superior (and that's a BIG lake...the biggest) is at it's lowest level in many decades. That could affect shipping. Anyway...I'm rambling. :oops: Thanks for the recipe, Littlered!

littlered
01-07-2007, 08:55 AM
ummm....duh. I forgot to add that you can crumble the bacon and add it to the soup, or put it on top of the soup for an extra garnish--eat up, everyone!
I am making my "Hell on the Red" chili for the teachers at school for Monday. Since I've always made it in BIG batches for chili cookoffs, I've never cut the recipe down (superstitious, I am)--- :)

Missy
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks! I love new recipes - I've been needing some inspiration in the kitchen lately.

I think we should share more recipes....it's nice to have things others have already tried.

Does anyone have ideas for what (maybe a soup) I can do with my leftover turkey and ham from the holidays that I have in the freezer? I know I can experiment, but something tried and true would be great!

littlered
01-07-2007, 01:40 PM
Ohhhh cabbage and ham and potatoes...a good old Irish recipe....

Boil the ham in about a cup of water on med heat til it starts falling apart. Then add wedges of cabbage, cook on low til cabbage is tender. Add about three or four potatoes (peeled) cut into halves. When potatoes are tender, serve!

You don't need salt (ham adds plenty) but I like to put tabasco or pepper vinegar on this. This is GREAT with cornbread. (Jiffy brand is the best...but don't y'all DARE tell my mama I said that...she'd say, "boxed cornbread mix, indeed!"

Missy
01-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks! I wish I had some cabbage and potatoes so I could try it tonight!

My newest favorite cheater cornbread is Bob's Red Mill. I don't know if it's available everywhere, though.

MARYCAIN
01-07-2007, 03:39 PM
I love all the Bob's Red Mill products, especially the gluten-free cinnamon bread mix - yummy! They have a website where you can order all their mixes and a lot of other stuff, like flours, rice, and cornmeal in small or bulk quantites - lots of gluten-free baking mixes. It's www.bobsredmill.com

Does anyone know a faster way to get the potassium out of potatoes, so those of us on a kidney diet can enjoy littlered's soup? I love potatoes but they are a no-no on a renal diet unless you soak them overnight, boil, rinse and drain them - by that time I've usually forgotten what I intended to cook with them in the first place.

littlered
01-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Mary, you could make this without potatoes...still delicious!
oops...I meant the cabbage and ham...just use a ham BONE if you don't want meat. Is that allowed on a vegan diet?
Potato soup without potatoes.....hmmmmm. The soup is so worth the skinning/boiling and soaking.

browneyedgirl53
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Hey Littlered,

I had my best friend over today, and that potato soup was HEAVENLY !!
So, it's in my recipe book to stay.

Thank you so much for sharing. I like that we don't always have to share stuff pertaining to lupus. Way to go, very nice of you.

Liking my lips and spoon....again saying thank you.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
01-09-2007, 03:30 AM
We're actually supposed to have 'winter' weather this weekend....I'm going to make the potatoe soup. I can hardly wait! Hey, maybe we should have a recipe forum. :wink:

littlered
01-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Fine by me...just ask Psalm, I have tons of recipes! yeh, I'm a COOK! 8)

psalm 56 3
01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
littlered is absolutely right, she has many recipes and good ones at that!

I have one that my dad used to make for us when we were growing up. He was born and raised on a farm in Wisconsin. The name is odd but it has proven to be a favorite through out the years.

Hamburger Soup

Note this can be made w/o the meat

1-2 lb hamburger
1 large onion
4-5 large potatoes
1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
1 sm. can tomato paste
1 32 oz. can chopped tomatoes
Tony Chachere's to taste- this is a seasoning that comes from Louisiana (very spicy)
You can also use salt and pepper. The ingredients add all the flavor.

In preparation peel potatoes and dice them into large pieces, do the same with the onion.
Cook ground beef until done, set aside.

In large pot add the ingredients except the ground beef. (Adding this too early effects the flavor of the meat).
Bring all ingredients to a boil, once boiling turn down to a simmer. Cook for 1 hour or until potatoes are done. 5 minutes before the soup is finished add the meat.

I like to serve this with big slices of Italian or French bread. It is a hearty soup and tastes better when reheated.

I make this in a huge pot and send some home with my children for their families. I also add extra potatoes to mine. You can easily adjust this to suit your preferences.

Missy
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm making the cabbage and potatoes with ham tonight for dinner! Can't wait!

Quarterhorsegal
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I love potato soup, so this was definately on my must try list. I decided to make it today since I was home today and my little guy is a bit under the weather with a tender tummy. I knew I did not have much bacon in the house, but I have a bunch of frozen ham left from christmas, so I decided to use that instead. I waited all day to make it, then when I finally went to the kitchen to start, I found I was missing a few other ingredients. Like potatoes, onions, green onions. I did have the tablespoon of flour though, so not all was lost. Fortuenately, we have a little market about 10 minutes away. I did make the soup, and it was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe Littlered. Hope you are feeling better.

Missy
01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I'm eating the ham/cabbage/potatoes as we speak (or write!).

It is so yummy and so easy. I love the tabasco on it.

Thanks for helping me use up my frozen leftover ham!

littlered
01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
no problem---I feel sorry for ppl who don't like cabbage. It is SO yummy nd SO good for you!
I make stuffed cabbage rolls all the time...Let me know if you want the recipe.
Love, Kathy

Missy
01-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Um, yes, of course I want the recipe!

The ham/cabbage was a hit!

littlered
01-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Ok, how about this? I will TRY to post one recipe a day. Most of them I can just sit and do from memory. Warning--I'm a Rachel Ray kind of cook. I "just eyeball" lots of things...but I'll try to be as accurate as I can be. I am such a foodie. I love to cook and I love to share recipes that are easy and healthy (ok, ok, I'm Paula Deen too because I use a lot of butter, heavy cream and sour cream. You can sub margarine, half and half and fat free sour cream, if you must.)

THIS one does not require the "bad for you stuff." :o It's very healthy and very low fat.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

1 large head of cabbage
1 lb ground beef (can be left out if you are a vegan...or use tofu!)
1 cup of rice (use brown if you like it.)
1 large onion, chopped finely and divided into halves.
2-3 bay leaves
1tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce

Use a large pot, and fill it with about 1 cup of water. Set the cabbage head with the core on the bottom and the leafy part on top. Put a tght lid on the pot. On medium heat, boil for about 10 minutes. (this softens the cabbage so you can work with it, but leaves it a little firm too.) Use large forks to remove from pot. DO NOT Throw away the water!

While cabbage is cooling, mix the ground beef with the uncooked rice and half the chopped onion, salt and pepper. Mix VERY well.

(Here's the tricky part...but you'll get the hang of it.) Pull the cabbage leaves off. Use a knife to cut off the small very tough core piece of the leaf. Now, make a large "meatball" with the meat/rice mixture. Put it in the leafy end of the cabbage leaf, and roll over, tucking in the ends into the meat as you roll, until all meat is covered up by the cabbage. (It will look like a little green "package".) Repeat until all meat mixture is gone.

Now add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining onion and bay leaves to the water in the pot.Add about a tablespoon of salt and pepper, and add more of each if you think it needs it. carefully place all cabbage rolls into the pot. chop remaining cabbage into wedges and add on top. Bring to a boil, then simmer for an hour. Much of the liquid will disappear because the rice will absorb liquid as it cooks. Don't stir or your rolls will fall apart!

I like to serve this with hard crusty bread to soak; A little Tabasco is great on this also!!
Fear not...this seems more complicated than it really is. This recipe was handed down from my grandma to my mother, then to me. Enjoy!

mnjodette
01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Yum..more comfort food! I've always wanted to make these. My husband and oldest son have asked for them. Now that I'm 'semi-retired' I'm trying to cook things other than the same old-same old stuff. I've give 'em a try...thanks, Kathy. I'm excited to see what other recipes you come up with. I hope others will be likewise inspired to share!

MARYCAIN
01-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Jody, I know there are a lot of Scandinavian folks in Minnesota - do you ever make aebleskiver? It's one of Michael's favorite comfort foods, and I've got a couple of different recipes. Like littlered, I've got tons of recipes and would be glad to share - are there any particular kinds of foods you don't like? We have a lot of Amish and Mennonite in the area, so I have quite a few german recipes acquired from them - many southern recipes, and whole books of nothing but bread recipes,

mnjodette
01-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I've never heard of aebleskiver...what is it? My husband's father was Norwegian, so Mark grew up eating a lot of traditional Norwegian foods. His favorite, hands down, is lefse. For a guy who doesn't like to eat potatos, he can sure pound down the lefse! I have a friend who makes it for us, but next year during the holidays I'm going to get my own 'equipment' and make it myself. I DO know how...it's just so much work, and I don't have the right griddle...or those special paddles...whine, whine, whine.

My son's new girlfriend is German; my sister is law is a Georgia girl - so both German and southern cooking would be great. Of course, I'd eat bread all day long!!

I eat most things. A few things I'm not crazy about are hard cooked eggs, oysters or clams, feta cheese and cilantro. Otherwise, I'll try most things. (I will admit, there were some things in Egypt I was a little afraid of!)

MARYCAIN
01-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I hear you - the sheeps' eyeballs almost got me in Egypt - and of course it's impolite in most arabic cultures to refuse food. I got around the problem by explaining I had a religious taboo against eating animal meat - that works pretty well in most places!

Aebleskiver are Danish pancake balls, but I've had them in other scandinavian countries too. In the Netherlands, I think they are called Poffertjes, and something else in Norway. They are also popular in Germany but I don't know the German term - i think it's munker or something similar. You can buy a special aebleskiver pan (also called a monk's pan) in many speciality cooking stores - including Williams-Sonoma - mine is a heavy cast iron pan with round holes, from Lodge Manufacturing in Tennessee, but you can also use custard cups or those silicone baking cups placed in a heavy pan on the stove, or a round drop biscuit skillet if you have one. If there are a lot of scandinavian stores, you can probably find a pan easily - they aren't very expensive, and you can also use the pan for other dishes.

Aebleskiver are delicious and you can vary them from sweet to savoury, or add fillings or toppings, so they are versatile too - I make mine from scratch but you can also buy mixes as well as pans -just do an online search for aebleskiver and you will find tons of info - and think how impressed your scandinavian friends will be.

Danish Aebleskiver Recipe
Makes about 2 dozen

2 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter
Confectioner's sugar )optional)
Optional: apple slices or other fruit

Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy, then add the sugar and salt. Sift the flour with baking powder and baking soda, then add it to the egg mixture, alternating small amounts with the addition of the buttermilk, as you continue mixing. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold them into the batter.

Heat the Aebleskiver pan. Place approximately 1/2 teaspoon of butter in each cup and heat until foamy.

Drop batter into cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
If you wish to use apple slices or other fruit, drop a slice in the center of each cavity. You can also fill the inside by pouring some batter in the mould, adding a teaspoon of your filling, and covering with another layer of batter.

Cook over medium heat until browned and crisp on bottom. Turn each cake with a fork to cook the other side.

The Aebleskiver is done when a toothpick, or cake tester, inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove cakes from pan and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar, if desired. Best when served warm. They also freeze well, and can be reheated.

Sweet fillings could be jam or fruit preserves, savoury fillings could be herbed butter, grated cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, etc. Williams-Sonoma has a nice recipe that uses wild blueberries. If you wanted to be truly scandinavian you could use lingonberry jam. These are great for brunch, and also are nice to serve at parties.

Enjoy!

mnjodette
01-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh, I've had those! Just didn't know what they were called. Delicious..another recipe for my 'file!'

littlered
01-13-2007, 04:40 PM
OK, my recipe to share for today: Peach Cobbler (easy,easy!)

1/2 cup sugar plus 2 tbsp large crystal sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/8th tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
3/4 cup heavy cream (sub half and half or milk if you must...but the heavy cream is sooooo good in this!)
6 tbsp melted butter
1 large can sliced peaches, with juice.

Make batter by mixing flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add heavy cream a little at a time, til blended. Melt 4 tbsp butter in square baking pan. Pour half the batter in, then carefully place peaches and spoon the juice over the top. Then ladle the other half of the batter on top of the peaches. Cut up remaining 2 tbsp butter and dot the top. Sprinkle large sugar crystals over the top if you have them. (If not, use about 2 tbsp of regular sugar.)
Cook in 325 degree oven for 45 minutes.

Missy
01-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Can't wait to try the cabbage rolls! Thanks!

I'm definitely a Rachel Ray and Paula Dean mixed, too!

I don't think I could possibly live without feta (I have a great sundried tomato/feta dip!) and cilantro (it makes every salsa salsier!).

I love Poffertjes! We have a lot of people of Scandinavian descent in a small town to the North of us, and every year at the county fair, there is a booth for Poffertjes. They are great!

littlered
01-14-2007, 02:48 AM
I love sun-dried tomatoes...I like to grab a handful and chew them. Hubby hates them, though, so I don't use them much in cooking :(

MARYCAIN
01-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Instead of food, how about a beverage instead? Jody, you said your sister in law was a Georgia girl, so I'm sure she's probably taught you how to make sweet tea. But for those who don't have a southerner in the family, here's how to make real Southern sweet tea, perfect with any Southern meal,

3 family size tea bags ( I like Luzianne Tea Bags )
2 cups of cold water
1 cup of sugar
pinch of baking soda

Place tea bags in cold water and bring to a boil... As soon as water starts to boil, remove from the heat (at this point add a pinch of soda to the tea. This makes it darker and removes any bitterness) Place tight fitting lid on pot and steep tea for about 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a gallon container, place the sugar and enough hot water to dissolve the sugar, making a sugar syrup. After tea has steeped, remove tea bags from pot, and pour tea into the sugar water. Stir well so that sugar water is completely mixed in. Add enough cold water to make 1 gallon. Store in refrigerator. Serve over ice in tall glasses or pretty mason jars, with a wedge of lemon on the side.

littlered
01-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Ahhhh, yes...sweet tea is the house wine of the South! :lol:

mnjodette
01-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Two more winners - peach cobbler and sweet tea! Thanks! I've got to dig up some of my recipes to share. I DO love to cook.

It'll be fun to surprise my sister in law with sweet tea next time they come north! Thanks, Marycain.

MARYCAIN
01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
One of my absolute favorites is bread pudding - I have a dozen different recipes - this one is pretty enough for company but easy to make.

Crockpot White Chocolate Bread Pudding

1/2 cup dried cherries, cranberries, or dried fruit of your choice
*dried blueberries and blackberries are wonderful combined
3 Tbsp. brandy or bourbon or apple cider
3 oz. bar white chocolate
2 Tbsp. butter
6 cups stale French bread cubes
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla

Look over the fruit to make sure any pits or stems are removed. Combine dried fruit with brandy (or apple cider) in a small bowl and microwave on high power for 30 seconds. Remove and let stand for 30 minutes to cool.

Coarsely chop the white chocolate. Drain the dried fruit. Generously butter the crockery insert of a 3 1/2 quart slow cooker. Cover the bottom with half of the bread cubes; then scatter with half of the drained cherries and chopped chocolate. Layer on the remaining bread cubes and top with the rest of the cherries and chocolate. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until smooth; then whisk in the half-and-half and vanilla until blended. Carefully pour over the bread mixture, gently pressing down on bread to cover with the egg mixture. Cover crockpot and cook on high for 1 3/4 hours, without lifting lid, until set and puffed. Serve warm or at room temperature, with your favorite vanilla or hard sauce. Garnish with additional dried fruit or chocolate curls if desired.

Easy Vanilla Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
(or two tablespoons flour)
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash salt

In small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in 1 cup boiling water. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla extract and salt; blend well. Serve vanilla sauce warm with your favorite pudding or other dessert.

This bread pudding is a little different. For those who don't like Granny Smith Apples, you can substitute any tart baking apple.

Apple-Cinnamon Bread Pudding

4 cups soft cinnamon bread, torn into small pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, very thinly sliced
1/4 cup raisins or chopped dried cranberries (optional)
2 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Butter an 11x7-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, combine bread, cinnamon, and apple slices, and raisins or chopped dried cranberries, if using; toss to mix.

In a medium saucepan, combine milk, brown sugar, and butter; heat over medium heat until hot and butter is melted. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with vanilla. Quickly whisk in the hot milk mixture then pour the mixture over the bread. Stir to mix well.

Pour bread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set a jelly roll pan or large shallow baking dish in the oven. Set the bread pudding pan inside the larger pan. Add very hot water to the outer pan to a depth of about 1/2-inch. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature - cut into small squares to serve. Top with apple brandy sauce or your favorite dessert sauce.

Apple Brandy Sauce

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons corn syrup
dash salt
3 tablespoons apple brandy or Apple Schnapps
*sunstitute apple juice or cider for a non-alcohol version)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 6 minutes longer. Watch to make sure it doesn't boil over. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Serve warm with bread pudding.
Makes about 1 cup.

Kentucky Bourbon Sauce

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup Kentucky bourbon whiskey

In a saucepan, melt butter; add sugar and egg, whisking to blend well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Whisk in bourbon to taste. Remove from heat and let cool. Whisk before serving. The sauce should be soft, creamy, and smooth.

Enjoy!

littlered
01-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Omigosh these sound heavenly! Just the thing for a cold winer night! (the white chocolate bread pudding has my mouth watering!)

I once made a bread pudding with pecans, dried apricots and a warm brandy sauce...maybe I can find it when I can get around better. I will most definitely try your recipes, though!

MARYCAIN
01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I make it sometimes with a combination of blueberries, blackberries and rhubarb - the boys call it bumbleberry pudding and they would eat the whole pot in nothing flat if you let them. Dried goji berries (wolfberries) are also delicious if you can find them. If you can't find dried fruit in your local grocery, there are several good online sources - two of my favorite online places are www.bulkfoods.com and www.nutsonline.com
Nutsonline is also a good source for gourmet coffees and chocolate-covered dried fruit.

MARYCAIN
01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Onion Cornbread

1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
1 large sweet onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) can cream-style corn

Mix cornmeal and onion in medium bowl.
Mix oil and sour cream in small bowl then add to cornmeal mixture.
Add eggs, beating one at a time.
Add corn and mix until just combined.
Pour into a well-greased 9 or 10-inch iron skillet or baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown and center tests done.

Easy Onion-Poppy Seed Rolls

2 onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons poppyseed
1 package refrigerated crescent rolls

In a skillet saute sliced onions in butter over medium heat. Add in sugar and poppyseed. Cook until the sugar melts. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
Separate refrigerated crescent rolls and spoon the onion mixture onto each roll. Roll up from the wide end and place on a baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes in a 400*F. oven or until golden brown.

Shaker Cheddar Bread

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, well beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups firmly packed grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dried dill, optional
Preheat the oven to 350.
Combine the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl, combine the beaten eggs with the applesauce and milk. Whisk together until well blended. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until completely mixed. Stir in the cheese and optional dill.
Pour the batter into an oiled, 9 x 5 loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the center tests done. Remove from the pan after 10 to 15 minutes and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

littlered
01-16-2007, 10:59 AM
I love cornbread! Good Irish/German southern girl that I am!

Here's a good recipe if you like Mexican food. (MaryCain, I have sometimes made this without the chicken and it's still yummy.I even subbed tofu for my vegan friend and she loved it.) Think of it as the Hispanic version of Lasagna.

Layered Chicken Enchiladas

One large chicken, cooked and deboned (or, if you're lazy like me sometimes, you can use 2 large cans of drained chicken.)
One container Queso Fresco (if you cannot find this in your stores, sub container of ricotta cheese)
1 small can chopped green chiles, drained (Hatch* brand the greatest.)
1 large can/jar green salsa (as mild as you like it)
1 cup chopped onion, "sweated" in 1 tsp oil and 1 tbsp. salt til tender.)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1 finely chopped, deseeded jalapeno (cook this with the onion. again, optional for those who can't take the heat!)
1 tbsp cumin
1 can of chopped tomatoes, drained (I use yellow for looks, but tastes same as red.)
1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
1 cup Cheddar cheese (mix these two.)
1 large container sour cream (can use fat free if you MUST--but it won't be the same)
12 soft corn tortillas

Mix all ingredients well together except green salsa, tortillas, cheese and half the sour cream. Mix together the remaining salsa and sour cream. Lightly grease both bottom and sides of casserole dish, and tear the tortillas in quarters. Line the bottom of the dish with tortillas. Add a layer of the chicken mixture, the salsa/sour cream mixture, and the cheese. Repeat in layers til all the chicken mixture is gone. Top with remaining sour cream/salsa and cheese. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let casserole cool for fifteen minutes before serving.

*My hubby's from Albuquerque, New Mexico (an enchanted place, if you've never been--gorgeous mountains, mesas, and a desert sky so wide you can hardly take it in.) Hatch, NM is totally devoted to chiles--smoked, dried, and canned. We went there once for their chile festival and Oh! It was marvelous!

This is not as spicy as it sounds. The sour cream cancels out much of the heat. Then, too, you can control the spiciness to your liking by choosing mild salsa and/or leaving out the jalapeno. But never the chiles! Enjoy!

mnjodette
01-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow...I've been gone for a couple of days, and I've returned to an entire cookbook! You guys are great, except I'm never going to lose weight if you keep sending me these incredible recipes!

Marycain, bread pudding is probably my favorite dessert in the world (well, except for creme' brulee.) I can't wait to try the apple brandy sauce!

I really DO have a lot of good recipes to share. Next week I'll post some.

MARYCAIN
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I love crume brulee too, especially creme brulee coffee - yum, yum. I've always been afraid to use a cooking torch, so I just use the broiler. If you like cheesecake, I've got a yummy recipe for Creme Brulee cheesecake - I've also made the same recipe as mini tarts for parties.

Creme Brulee Cheesecake

16 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (preferably Madagascar vanilla)
2 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1-9 inch graham cracker crust (Keebler pre-prepared crust is fine)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon water

Mix cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs and egg yolk, mix until blended. Pour into pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes or until center is almost set.

Refrigerate overnight or for at least three hours.
Just before serving, heat broiler, mix brown sugar and water, spread evenly over cheesecake. Place on cookie sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until topping is bubbly. You can use a creme brulee torch if you happen to have one, but the broiler does just fine.

mnjodette
01-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Our younger son bought me a creme brulee set a couple of Christmases ago, complete with the cooking torch and a cookbook. I haven't used it yet...afraid I'd burn down the house. But he felt bad when I told him I hadn't used it, so next time he comes up for dinner I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes!

The cheesecake recipe sounds fantastic. Sigh...my hips will never fit into my swimsuit at this rate! :cry:

littlered
01-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Christmas Tequila Cookies
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup (two sticks) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups dried fruit (dried cranberries or raisins)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
2 cups all purpose flour
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila (silver or gold, as desired)

First, sample the Cuervo to check quality.
Take a large bowl. Check the Cuervo to be sure it is of the highest
quality.
Pour another 4 ounces in a measuring cup and drink.
Turn on the electric mixer.
Beat one cup of the butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add one teaspoon sugar. Beat again.
At this point, it is best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK.
Try another 4 ounces, just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break two leggs and add to the bowl and
chuck in the cup of dried fruit, picking the frigging fruit off the
floor.
Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, just
pry it loose with a screwdriver.
Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift 2 cups of salt or something.
Check the Jose Cuervo.
Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and
make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher

MARYCAIN
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Kathy, that was too funny! I'm babysitting for my cousin, her baby is four months old, and I was trying to bounce her and use the computer at the same time - I got to laughing so hard I almost dropped her! Shame on you!!!

MARYCAIN
01-21-2007, 12:39 PM
As you've probably figured out I love my crockpot. This one is a great way to turn that leftover steamed rice from your chinese take-out into dessert.

Crockpot Caramel Rice Pudding

3 cups cooked white rice
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. good-quality vanilla
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

The recipe also works well with brown or red rice, and it's especially good made with purple sticky rice.
Spray inside of 3 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until liquid is absorbed and mixture is thickened. Stir well. Serve warm.

kkgadro
01-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Alot of literature and my DR says that white potatoes are very bad for lupus or arthritis. I feel much better when I do not eat these. I just thought I would mention this and maybe someone could research this more.

MARYCAIN
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi, Kathleen. People on a potassium restricted or "renal" diet have to be careful about potatoes because they are high in potassium. Diabetics have to be careful about potatoes because they raise blood sugar levels much like eating sweets. As far as potatoes and arthritis, potatoes are members of the so-called "nightshade" plant family, which includes potatoes, tomatoes, all peppers except black pepper, eggplant, aubergine, papricka and many poisonous plants. Some people are sensitive to chemicals called solanines in these foods and they can make arthritic symptoms in those people worse. Other people don't seem to be bothered, and eliminating nightshade foods from their diet doesn't improve their symptoms. So it's basically like a food intolerance - it affects some people but not others.

kkgadro
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I have been very curious about that for a long time. I did not know that paprika was included. My family is hungarian. Paprika, potatoes, tomatos, and alot of beef. When I do not eat these I am ok. I have read that people with lupus should avoid nightshade veggies and red meat but I was not sure if it was true. I do have food allergies so maybe that is why it affects me. Thank you

MARYCAIN
01-23-2007, 05:24 PM
My sister sent me one of the Paula Dean Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes - oh my! Talk about death by chocolate.... but if anyone's looking for a valentines day gift for a chocoholic, it definitely takes the cake!

littlered
01-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Last night I actually cooked and enjoyed a full meal...something I haven't been able to do in awhile, if you've followed my "saga"...anyway, I just got hungry for roast chicken, so here's how I do it: (this looks "hard', but it's the easiest thing in the world and good enough for company!)
1 medium sized whole chicken
1 stalk celery, coarsly chopped
3 lemons
6 (Yes, SIX!) cloves of garlic
1 orange
2 tbsp of sage (If you can get fresh, 2 tbsp chopped.)
1 tbsp of rosemary (or 1 fresh sprig)
2 tbsp pepper
4 tbsp salt
1/8 cup olive oil
1 onion, sliced

Discard the "parts" inside the chicken and wash the chicken well. Pat dry.
Quarter two of the lemons and the orange and put in a bowl. Add the chopped celery and 4 of the garlic cloves, crushed. Toss with the spices and 3 tbsp. of the salt. Fill the cavity of the chicken with this mixture (You may have to push it in pretty hard, but that's ok.) Slice the remaining lemon into thin slices, and do the same with the remaining garlic cloves. Slide these between the skin of the whole chicken and the meat. You may have to push your hand way back, but be careful not to tear the skin. Use toothpicks to secure the opening of the cavity so the orange/lemon mixture can't come out. Use the Olive oil to coat the chicken, and sprinkle remaining tbsp salt on the skin. Place the chicken breast side up on top of the onion slices in a roasting dish. Tie the legs together so they won't be overdone. Add about 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the baking pan. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes, then at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. If the chicken skin is getting too brown, baste with the juices. It's done when the legs move easily in the joints, or the meat thermometer registers 180 degrees. Let the chicken "rest" so the juices will remain in the meat, then carve. (I always serve this with cranberry/orange relish.)
Besides being really delicious, this makes the house smell WONDERFUL! The lemons, garlic, orange and spices soak into the chicken. Even I had a great appetite when I smelled it cooking.

mnjodette
01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
She's back and my mouth is watering already! Thanks, Kathy - roast chicken receipe sounds amazing.

Jody

MARYCAIN
01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I've got the perfect way to use up the leftovers, assuming there are any - Kentucky Hot Brown sandwiches. "Hot browns" are very much a Kentucky thing - no one else ever seems to know what they are. The closest thing I can compare it to is a Welsh Rarebit. The Kentucky version often includes country ham, but it's just as good without. And a good way to use leftover chicken if you don't want to make soup.

Kentucky Hot Brown

3 ounces chicken or turkey breast, roasted, sliced
1 slice toasted white bread
2 slices tomato
2 slices bacon, cooked and drained

Sauce:
2 ounces butter
3 ounces flour
3/4 cup cream
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
salt and white pepper to taste

Heat butter and add flour. Whisk and slowly cook for 5 minutes. Whisk in cream and milk and heat. Whisk in cheese until melted. Season. Simmer for 30 minutes. Sauce should be very thick.
Quarter toast and place in an oven safe dish. Top with chicken or turkey and tomatoes. Cover well with sauce. Bake at 400 F. for 10 minutes. Garnish with bacon - serve immediately.

littlered
01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh, my...this sounds wonderful! I will try it tonight if my tummy agrees. It's just the two of us, so when I roast a chicken, there's a LOT of leftovers. Last night, I reheated some breast pieces with a mixture of orange marmalade, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce, served over brown rice. But THIS I gotta try! Love, Kathy

mnjodette
01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Honestly, the two of you (Marycain and Kathy) should write a cookbook! I love to try new recipes, but I only rarely 'create' something of my own - even with leftovers. I've got a good start for you - I've copied nearly every recipe you've given us and have it in a folder in Word. :D

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Oh, I love to experiment with cooking - some things turn out great - others not so hot. What's really frustrating is when I'm experimenting and it turns out so well that the kids want it again, but I can't remember what I put in the first time! This happens a lot with the lupus fog - LOL. Right now I'm trying to go through all my mom and grandmother's old handwritten recipes and type them up, then scrap them into a cookbook album. It's one time when I regret not having a daughter to pass them on to - none of my boys are very interested in cooking, just eating. But as I come across some of the really good ones, I'll try to share some of them here.

mnjodette
01-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I really get a kick out of it when one of my sons calls for a recipe. One of them cooks pretty well; the other has a girlfriend who loves to cook. I just started organizing my mom's recipes. I also came across an old cookbook in her things that had recipes that worked well during the rationing of WWII; and they had hints on how to create a dinner party or celebration 'with servants' and 'without servants'! Hilarious!

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I love old cookbooks - I've got some that date back to the late 1800s, many of which call for ingredients I've never heard of! But much as I love reading the old cookbooks, I'm very grateful I don't have to chop wood or haul coal to fix a meal the way my mom did in the first years of her marriage - otherwise my kids would be eating a lot of cold cereal.

One of my favorite stories from my mom was her first experience with canning. My dad loved sauerkraut, so when they had a lot of cabbage in the garden, she made a bunch of sauerkraut, sterilized the canning jars, and canned the whole batch in quart mason jars. Unfortunately nobody told her that sauerkraut expands as it ferments, so she filled the jars to the very top. A couple of days after she proudly stored them in the root cellar, every single jar exploded. My dad always said it sounded like the 4th of July with all the glass breaking, and it was months before the root cellar stopped smelling, So that's one recipe she definitely didn't pass on to me.

MARYCAIN
01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
In some parts of the Deep South, it's almost required that Sunday dinner include chicken-n-dumplings, even when you are having something else. This recipe comes from the Blue Willow Inn Cookbook, which is one of my absolute favorites.

Chicken and Dumplings

1 pound broiler-fryer chicken
2 quarts water
cup melted butter
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups self-rising flour
cup shortening
cup cold water

In a stockpot or large pan,combine water and chicken. Cook over medium-high heat until done (about one hour). Remove chicken from pot reserving chicken broth. Cool chicken in cold water. Remove bones, skin, and fat. Cut or dice chicken into bite size pieces.

In mixing bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until batter is coarse. Add water and mix well.

Bring chicken broth back to a slow boil. Do not rapidly boil. With floured hands pinch quarter size pieces of dumpling mix and drop into chicken broth.
Gently stir after adding several pinches.

Repeat until you have used all the dumpling mix. Stir gently. Add butter and black pepper. Stir gently. Allow to simmer 8-10 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken.

Serve in soup bowls with your favorite crusty bread or rolls.

mnjodette
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
I just made chicken and dumplings for dinner last night, but I always have trouble with it burning while the dumplings cook. This recipe sounds like it'll work a lot better. My husand (and me too!) just LOVE chicken and dumplings. I'll try this one next time.

littlered
01-31-2007, 07:11 AM
To me, cooking is a "creative" thing...If I am making something for the first time, I follow the recipe. After that, I am compelled to add "my own touch"--and most of the things I make a lot, I never really "measure" unless it's baking (you MUST measure then.) Experimentation is so much fun!

Saysusie
01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Marycain and Littlered;
I had not posted on here because I am not a cook! I mean, I can "throw down" when I need to..I just hate doing it as I was required to cook for my family from the time that I was 12 years old until I was married and my children were old enough to cook. Now, my husband is the cook and he enjoys it (because he never was ORDERED to cook)..so like you two, he loves to experiment and he is good at it!
I have been sharing your recipes with him and we've tried several of them with great success. Marycain, we had your "Hot Browns" last night and guuuurrrrl..it was to die for!!
So, I am planning a virtual trip to both of your houses and I am inviting myself to dinner 'cuz each time I read these posts, I start salivating (Like Pavlov's dogs!!)
There I am...at the head of the table with fork and knife in hand and a napkin under my chin to catch the saliva (roflmao)

Luv Ya Both :lol:
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
01-31-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed them! You're right, having to cook because someone forced you to would definitely take the pleasure out of it. I learned to cook standing on a box at my mama's shoulder because I wasn't tall enough to reach the table. With all the boys running around the house (I had seven brothers), it was about the only time I got to spend exclusively with my mom, so I treasured it for that reason. But I feel the same way about housework that you do about cooking - when we were kids, the boys got the fun chores on Saturday morning - feeding the animals, getting to rake leaves and make a mess, or washing the truck, while I was stuck inside polishing table legs and dusting knicknacks. Since there were a lot more boys than girls, their chores got done a lot faster. I still hate dusting with a passion, almost as much as I despise ironing. I love to cook but I'm definitely not Martha Stewart.

We would love to have some of your hubby's recipes if you can persuade him to share!

MARYCAIN
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I love sweet potatoes and apples and this is a great way to combine the two. It works as a side dish or a sweet casserole.

Baked Sweet Potatoes and Apples

4 large sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup real maple syrup
2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
Cinnamon
Ground cloves
1/2 cup apple juice or cider

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until done but still firm. When cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Oil a deep casserole dish. Arrange half of the sweet potato slices on the bottom. Drizzle with half of the melted butter, then half of the maple syrup. Top with the apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon and cloves. Repeat the layers, then pour the apple juice over the top.

Bake for 30 minutes, covered, then for another 10 minutes, uncovered. Serve at once or cover and keep warm until needed.

littlered
01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
You T try this...it's great with pork, but you can make it for your kids and just eat this stuff....my hubby goes NUTS when I make it--

Fried apples, potatoes and onions

4 granny smith apples, cored and coarsely chopped
2 onions, medium chopped
5 or 6 potatoes, medium chopped
rosemary (USE FRESH--about one sprig, finely chopped)
Salt to taste n(you may need a lot...add a tsp at a time when its done.)
pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil

heat the oil to "frying temp"--(stick a wooden spoon in...if it bubbles, it's ready.)
Add first the potatoes, then the onions and finally the apples (like, layer them in the oil.) sprinkle the rosemary on top.
After about 5 minutes, use a spatula to check the potatoes...if they are browning, use the spatula to cut the skillet into squares that you can flip.
Let the mixture continue to fry until onions are just beginnig to brown. Do not stir too much, as this will mush up the apples too much.

This recipes is centuries old. I got it from the Irish side of my family, and it may sound wierd, but the apples and onions both sweeten and add depth of flavor. Sensational!

by the way, Saysusie, I didn't learn to love cooking until I was bedridden with the operation on my leg...started watching FOOD NETWORK...started experimenting with the same old stuff...went to a 6 week cooking class (BORED me to TEARS, as all they talked about was the "proper" way to sanitize, use utentils, and other mind-numbingly boring stuff) so I said, to h--- with it? I don't wanna be a chef---I wanna be a COOK 8)

littlered
01-31-2007, 09:00 PM
so sorry! meant to say add the apples last. sighhhh brain fog again :oops:

Saysusie
02-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Marycan:
My husband said he'd be honored to add some of his recipe's. As soon as he writes them down for my, I will post them. But, knowing him, that could take a while :lol:
I'll keep on him about it!!

Saysusie

MARYCAIN
02-01-2007, 03:44 PM
This is a nice vegan recipe you can adjust to your taste - a bit of a change from plain old dried beans. It works best if you use four or five different varieties of dried beans - most heirloom beans work well, but you could also use kidney beans, lentils, flagolet beans or whatever you have. You can also add or take out vegetables depending on your taste.

1 lb beans, assorted, dry
2 cups vegetable juice (I use low sodium v-8 but substitute your favorite vegetable juice))
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup apple or pineapple juice
vegetable stock or water
1/2 cup celery -- diced
1/2 cup parsnips -- diced
1/2 cup carrots -- diced
1/2 cup mushrooms -- diced
1 onion -- diced
1 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp parsley, dried
1 bay leaf
3 clove garlic -- minced
1 tsp black pepper -- ground
1 cup rice or pasta -- cooked

Sort and rinse beans, then soak overnight in water.

Drain beans and place in crockpot. Add vegetable juice, wine, soy sauce, and apple or pineapple juice. Cover with vegetable stock or water; the amount added depends on whether you prefer a soup (more liquid) or a stew (less).

Cook at high for 2 hours. Add vegetables, herbs, and spices, and cook for 5-6 hours at low until carrots and parsnips are tender. When tender, add rice or pasta and cook for one additional hour. Serve with your favorite crusty bread or rolls.

mnjodette
02-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Love the soup/stew recipe! Wish I had bought the ingredients today - it would've been a great thing to try this cold weekend. But, I'm not goin' out of the house until it warms up! (I could be here a longgg time.)

About the sweet potatoes and apples: I do a similar recipe but I use butternut squash (or any deep orange, sweet squash) instead of sweet potatoes. It's also yummy to top it with some pecans that have been chopped, toasted and coated with butter and sugar. Ummmmmm good.

littlered
02-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Making pulled pork with saurkraut tonight...it's sooo good on a cold messy day!

3 boneless pork chops
2 tbsp olive oil or bacon fat
1 large jar saurkraut (I like Vlasik's)
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp sugar
pepper to taste
salt to taste ( add at the end...saurkraut has salt in it!)

Brown the pork chops in the oil until completely done. Remove the pork chops and shred with two forks. Add all other ingredients to the pot and cook over medium heat until all ingredients are blended to taste.

This sounds wierd, but we eat this over mashed potatoes! The potatoes cut the sourness of the kraut, and it's to die for. I bet it would be just as good over noodles. Love, Kathy

mnjodette
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey, Kathy, I'm making your potato soup recipe right now! It's so cold today, I've been absolutely craving a creamy soup. I'll make some big biscuits and we'll have a perfect cold day supper. Can't wait!

Jody

littlered
02-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Yes, there's nothing like baked potato soup to keep you warm on a cold day! Love, Kathy

mnjodette
02-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I lovvvvvved it! Our younger son came out and had a big bowl...it was a big hit! Our other son is coming out for lunch today and I'll warm it up for lunch - he'll go wild for it too. Thanks, Kathy!

Jody

littlered
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Didn't want this thread to "die" so here's a familiar recipe.

Kathy's Special Soup

First, brown 1 lb. of hamburger in a skillet, ordering the dogs out of the kitchen about every 2 minutes. Trip over your smallest dog, sit there for a few minutes to make sure you are ok, put the dogs outside, and scrape the hamburger meat out of the skillet. Discard half of it because it's burnt. Decide it doesn't matter.
Drain the grease out of the meat in a thin plastic bowl, then hurry up and put the grease and meat back in the skillet because it is so hot it's melting the bowl. Discard the bowl into the trash. Decide it doesn't matter.
Chop one onion and two ribs of celery, stopping halfway to rinse and wrap your finger tightly with a dishtowel where you cut it while chopping. Pray that it is not so deep you need stitches. Put onion and pepper in the pan to fry in grease. Check your finger and decide it's ok, disinfect with alcohol , jumping up and down until the stinging stops, and put on a bandaid. Decide it doesn't matter.
Let the dogs in, because the big one is chewing on the doorframe. Scold him, then go back into the kitchen, where your onions and peppers are stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Scrape it. Decide it doesn't matter.
Add one cup of chopped carrots but this time don't cut in such small pieces because you do not want to cut yourself again. Add one tablespoon of flour, stirring until bubbly.
Add a large can of tomato sauce and a large can of tomatoes. Drain the tomatoes first, then realize that when you drained them, you dumped out half the tomatoes in the sink. Decide it doesn't matter.
Add 1 tablespoon each of salt, garlic powder and pepper. Clean up the pepper where you sneezed and half of it went all over your counter. Decide it doesn't matter.
Add one can of beef stock. Bring your heat up to medium so it will all come to a boil.
Answer your phone, because it's your attorney calling after you've been trying to reach him for two days. Separate the dogs, who have begun to fight, while on the phone. Reassure your attorney that you are yelling at the dogs, not him. Get him the information he needs out of your home office. While doing this, put the little dog outside while keeping the big one inside. Hang up and pick up the papers you dropped before the dog eats them. Rub your eyes, then run to the bathroom because you had pepper on your hands. Rinse your eyes thoroughly with saline. Detemine that your eyes are ok, and decide it doesn't matter.
Return to the kitchen, where your soup has boiled over and is now all over your stovetop. Take the soup, dump it into the sink, and turn on your disposal unit.
Call your husband. Tell him to pick up McDonald's on his way home. Cry. Then laugh. Decide it doesn't matter.

camyskitties
05-23-2007, 10:16 AM
WOW - sounds familiar -

Only substitute the fighting dogs for fighting kids (over a toy), and substitute tripping over the dog for tripping over the cat who smells the meat cooking and is now stuck to the bottom of my leg in hopes of getting a bite of it (the meat, not my leg)!

:lol: