PDA

View Full Version : makeup sunscreen question

hooversmom
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
What have you guys found that works well for foundation? I just can't seem to find something with enough sunscreen that doesn't irritate. I am very fair but have a lot of reddness in the cheeks.

rockinrobin
01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, SPF is like a layering process for me. I start with a 45 spf (ombrelle, is my fave), and then a 15 spf moisturizer (neutrogena) and then Elizabeth Arden foundation. Now I realize that there is no SPF in the foundation, but it feels like it is working, had not had any unmaneageable flares in about 3 years.

Hope this helps.

Rockin Robin

Missy
01-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I thin a lot is going to depend on our personal needs and skin, but I'll tell you what I've (finally) found that works for me!

I use Avalon Organics cleanser and toner, then their moisturizer that has SPF 18. Then I use Clinique's Almost Makeup that has SPF 15 as a "foundation." It takes out the red, but is very light. This is enough for me on winter days. During the summer, if I go out in the sun, I have to put actual sunscreen over, but usually I just wear a hat and don't go out in the sun much.

Not all sunscreens work well with my skin, especially on my face, so I find makeup and moisturizers to work well - because I use the ones made by cosmetic companies......I have to check the ingredients and what oils they use.

Good luck!

littlered
01-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I like long wearing makeup...the only problem is, if you use ANY product over or under the makeup that has oil in it, the oil eventually breaks down the long wearing makeup.
Does anyone know of a sunscreen that has no oil in it?
I also use loose powder. I think it, in itself, provides some sunscreen. I've been doing this for years, in addition to staying out of the sun, and get compliments on how young my skin looks all the time. (Ppl say I look about 30, and I am fifty!_ :D

MARYCAIN
01-06-2007, 11:02 AM
I like the Clinique Ultra City face block - SPF 40 and very light and non-oily. They also have some products that are SPF 50 and their products are hypoallergenic so they shouldn't bother anyone with sensitive skin. I also love the CoverBlend concealing treatment makeup - pricy, but one application lasts for hours and it does a fantastic job of covering the facial rash. It also has SPF 20 built right in. I always get tickled when people compliment me on my skin - I'm thinking good thing you don't know what it really looks like.

littlered
01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, it takes me 30 minutes to get "that natural look!" :lol:

browneyedgirl53
01-07-2007, 03:26 AM
Vanity or vanity - what we women go through just to look "natural"....isn't that hilarious?

Here are my concoctions: Cetyphill (for face wash); Clinique CS (Redness Relief)...Eucerin (spf 45) sensitive lotion works well also.
I also use Clinique cover-cream ( yellow) which does a great job of covering the redness. I use Almay for eyes (I too have super sensitive skin).

Hope you find something that works for you, enjoy!

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

mnjodette
01-07-2007, 06:25 AM
My neice sells Mary Kay products and she found a good daytime lotion that has 25 spf sunscreen in it for me. I put it on first, then a second moisturizer (I'm old...my skin needs a lot of help!) and then a not-too-heavy foundation from Mary Kay that has a yellow base...seems to cover the red pretty well. If I know I'm going to be outside much (or in a room with big windows) I use Aveeno 45 spf sunscreen (the one that came out last year..seems to last longer) under my makeup. One thing I've found is that if I make up my eyes (brows, lids, eyelashes...the whole nine yards) it seems to balance out my face, even if it's red. I have Sjogren's so I have to be careful what I put on my eyes...they're pretty sensitive. But Mary Kay stuff seems to work without giving me the itchies, and I'll bet Almay (or any hypoallergenic stuff) would do the same.

Missy
01-07-2007, 10:25 AM
My sister with Lupus loves the Clinique City Block, too, so there's another vote for it!

MARYCAIN
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I have kind of an odd skin tone because I'm a Heinz 57 mix - anything with yellow undertones makes me look like I've got jaundice - definitely not the look you want. If the redness is really bad I use a green-toned concealer - Physicians Formula works well for me and it's discount priced at Target. I like their blusher and lip gloss too. I splurge on the expensive department store foundations because my skin tone is so hard to match, and a lot of brands turn orange or pink on me, but for things like blush and lip gloss I like the Physicians formula and the Almay and Neutrogena - I mix and match from all those brands to get the colors I like.

One little tidbit I found out the hard way - a lot of the "sensitive skin" products in health food stores and "organic" products have chamomile because it's supposed to soothe the skin. But it's in the same plant family as ragweed, so if you have hay fever or ragweed allergy, chamomile can trigger a major allergic reaction. I found that out when I used some of the Camo-Care products and broke out in hives - not fun! My PCP always told me you couldn't have allergic reactions while on prednisone - turns out you can.

ButterflyRN
01-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I use marykay products. I use the moisturizer (time wise) that has a spf of 15 in it and then I put my foundation on. I do pretty well with it. an spf of 15 is as high as the moisturizer comes. They also sell sunscreen. I love their products!

peach224
01-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I love Mary Kay too. The AM solution has SPF 25. It is a moisturizer that goes on under foundation. I can't use the MK foundation anymore though, it is just too heavy and makes me break out no matter what I do (although they now have a tinted moisturizer with SPF 15, but I don't know how that would cover the redness). I started using Bare Minerals, which has SPF 15 also and I can control the coverage, so I just put more on the red places and buff really well. I am very happy with the results.

kkelly
01-08-2007, 11:12 AM
These are great tips. I have been using "Mineral" powder make up by Physician's formula. Its called Mineral Wear- in beige. I picked it up at our grocery store and have found it works wonders on the redness and makes me look a bit bronzed. My rash seems better and less irritated since using. As for face sunblock - there is a product called "Avene 50" its a creme block with a bronze tone - only comes in one colour though so its tough to match.
I love Burt's Bees products as well - the lip balms with the tinted pink and red "rhubarb" is the best. Don't know if Burt's Bees is Cdn?
Karen
PS
I got highlights and I love the texture - makes hair seem thicker. But I definitely flared after. Probably because of bronchitis though.....not sure I will rush back for highlights just in case.

MARYCAIN
01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure where the Burt's Bees company is from, but I definitely love their baby care products! I give them as baby shower gifts all the time. And their gardener's hand soap is really good if you've been handling something like garlic or onions - it takes the "stinky" right off your skin.

kkelly
01-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Yes Marycain
The baby stuff is great too. Glad its accessible everywhere....Also the ointment in the green tin is very soothing for cracked dry skin (I think its called rescue balm (burts bees). :D bye for now..
K

Missy
01-08-2007, 09:10 PM
I think Burt's is on the East Coast? Can't remember but they have a good website and they sometimes have extras on sale for cheaper.

My husband used to use their Bay Rum shaving bar & aftershave. It smelled so good, but not chemical perfumy. Of course, they discontinued it and you could find it on e-bay for $40 a bottle! People were trying to make a buck. Well, little did he know that they released the shave bar and cologne for Christmas this year. He was so excited when he opened his gift! It was great!

Aubrey Organics is a good line for minerals powdres that I've liked, too.