PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather

rdiienno
01-03-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there that actually feels better in cold weather? Seems like most people feel better in hotter weather, but down here in Alabama, the heat and humidity really get to my lupus. I seem to do much better up north.

Am I nuts or is there anyone else who is the same way.

Ron

Saysusie
01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
No, you are not nuts. The sun is not our friend, the ultraviolet rays can cause flare-ups which include muscle and joint pain. Hot weather (especially with humidity) zaps the energy from healthy people. It is not hard to imagine what it does to those of us who suffer from the chronic fatigue of Lupus. So, that added to the damaging effects of the sun makes most of us suffer greatly during the summer months.
We feel as if we have a bit more energy in the colder months and that is the time of year when we can actually spend a bit more time outdoors. Now, we do suffer from joint siffness and pain which is often aggravated by the cold - but for some reason, the debilitating fatigue and the rashes seem to be a bit milder in colder weather!
So, you are not nuts. You have Lupus - the disease is nuts (lol)
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

rdiienno
01-16-2007, 08:53 AM
SaySusie,

Thanks so much for your kindness and inspiration. It is kind of strange, but I can be freezing cold and feel better. I may be cold, but my joints feel better!

God bless,

Ron

LMH
01-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Ron,
I live in Perth in Australia, and everybody tells me, that the warm weather must be soooo good for all my aches and pains, but like you I feel much better on colder days. On hot days I prefer staying inside, but the effect of the weather still "ripples" through the walls - aircon or not :( . We've just had a period of humid hot 30-40 days, and I felt soooo bad. Aches, pains, ithing, depressed, and tired tired tired. The last couple of days we've had 24-26, and even though the sun is shining from a clear sky, and even though I walk my dogs each and every day, these last couple of days have been amazing. More energy, hardly any itching, pain much less and happy :D . It truely is a weird illness this Lupus. I was only diagnosed half a year ago, but have had it for years . I'm still struggling to find out what's good for me, and what's not, but the weather definetely has a big impact.
What I find weird is how quick the body responds. On Sunday we had 40, i was sitting outside, cause we went to a pool-party (of all things!!). I expected to be "down and out" on the Monday, but because the temperature had dropped 16, I instantly felt fine. Do you have the same experiences??

rdiienno
01-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I sure do. It was 72 degrees here the other day and I was really hurting. Today it was 35 and I feel great. Like you, I'm still trying to figure this Lupus stuff out. I have had Lupus for a while, but was just recently diagnosed.

Alkaseltz9
01-17-2007, 05:37 AM
:cry: I think my symtoms have gotten worse since it has gotten colder. I can hardly walk! Yes the sun made me tired but that I could fight more than this pain.

On another note, I have been on plaquenil for over a year after having been diagnosed with an undetermined connective tissue desease. in June I ended in the hospital for emergency surgery for a pericardial window, and a new diagnosis of lupus, since then it has really only gotten worse. I really think the meds are making me worse. Does anyone else feel that way?? I am tired of complaining but I also am tired of being in pain. I switched from cellcept to trexall and so far it is no better but I only changed two weeks ago.

Milagro
01-30-2007, 10:55 AM
the cold makes me hurt more when I live in it, but when I have visited other cities that are cold, the new 'atmosphere' seems to make me feel better during my visit.