PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

Kahalagurl
12-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Merry Christmas everybody. My name is Casula and I am 25 and I was diagnosed with Lupus SLE this week and as well as an underactive thyroid. This is after about 6 mo. of testings to find out what was "wrong" with me. I have a mild version of it as my rheumatologist says, and so far my symptoms have been manageable. The need for sleep is the most annoying symptom as it takes up so much of my time outside of work. I realise this may be a petty concern considering how much worse my symptoms could be, but it just makes me worried about the future in being able to work certain jobs that would demand more of me or having kids. It just seems overwhelming exhausting.

I am just starting to do research about lupus and how to manage it. I started Plaquenil this weekend and had such a serious reaction to it (ended up in the emergency room) that I had to stop taking it after one dose, after consulting with my doctor. This is the start of a long journey ahead of me learning about living with lupus and how to take better care of my body. I am happy to have found this site and I hope to learn a lot from everybody's experience. If anybody needs a recomendation for a great rheumatologist in Hawaii, let me know. Mine is fantastic. ~ Casula :D

MARYCAIN
12-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Hello, Casula - what a beautiful name. Welcome to this forum. I know doctors use the term "mild" lupus, but what they really mean is that your lupus doesn't involve your internal organs - not that your symptoms are necessarily mild. And fatigue can be one of the most disabling symptoms with any type of lupus. So you will find a lot of people here understand your situation and your fears for the future. Hopefully, once your thyroid levels are back to normal, some of your fatigue will improve. Has your doctor recommended other treatment for your lupus since you can't take plaquenil?