PDA

View Full Version : still sick

Laura07
12-23-2006, 08:04 AM
I know I had bronchitis a week ago (went to doc) now I have gotten worse. I don't have med insurance, so I can't afford to go back. I'm worried that I might have pneumonia. I've never had it before, but I know that every breath I take hurts. and I am miserable. I can't sleep well because of all the coughing. I have been off work for 2 days, but had to come in today in order to get the holiday pay on Monday. I work in customer service call center and I keep having to mute my phone so customers don't hear me hacking. I sooo hope they let us go home early. I'm trying to be strong and still be a good stepmom since we have Lydia this weekend and it's Christmas. But it's hard! I just wanna lay in bed and give up.

MARYCAIN
12-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Laura, is there a free medical clinic anywhere in Plano you can go to? If you think you might have pneumonia, you really need a chest x-ray. Most county health departments have sliding scale fees based on income - you might be able to get an x-ray there. I know Baylor has some programs for uninsured patients - do they have a hospital in Plano? If so, call there and ask to speak to a financial counselor to see if they have assistance programs you qualify for. I understand your concern about not having insurance, but if you get worse, you might get really sick and not be able to work - which would be worse. Did your doctor give you any meds when you saw him before? Some pharmacies sell cough medicines with codeine over the counter, but they are kept in the prescription section, not out on display. So you might call your pharmacy and ask if they can do this. If your cough is dry and hacking, steamy showers and a vaporizer may help - also a cough syrup with an expectorant to loosen some of the congestion. If the cough is loose, it's really best to go ahead and cough so you clear the gunk out of your lungs. And chicken soup really does help - plus lots of fluids and some extra vitamin c. Have you ever had pleurisy before? It's pretty common in lupus, and it can cause severe pain when you take a deep breath. If it is pleurisy you might need steroids to help. I hope you get to a doctor and get some help soon.

Laura07
12-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, the doctor gave me the inhaler with steroids (can't think of the name right now) and a stronger dosage of steroid pills to knock it out of my system, and antibiotics. If I'm not better by Monday, I will go to the hospital. There is a county hospital here. It's always super crowded and long wait, but if I don't get better, i have to do something. I just want to wait it out until Monday when munchkin will be back with her mother, I wouldn't want to ruin her Xmas weekend.