PDA

View Full Version : EXTREMELY Painful Menstrual Cramps!

IloveHistory
12-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi Everyone!

Does anyone else here experience EXTREMELY painful menstrual cramps?

I have always experienced very severe menstrual pain. Infact, I used to pass out from the pain before I got my pain medication and I have a very high pain threshold! :( My doctor prescribed 1100mg of pain medication, given to people with Endometriosis, for the days when I am menstruating. I was also given a diuretic, but I can no longer take it because of my kidneys.

However, I am on day two of my period and even though I have already taken both of my prescribed pills for today, I am in such SEVERE pain that I feel as if I might faint! :( The pain extends over my entire abdomen and now feels as if it is shooting up my esophagus! I'm not even sure if all of this pain is even related to my period at the moment because I have been experiencing SEVERE abdominal pain for quite a while now. However, this pain is very different and I have had terrible problems with my organs "popping", which is very painful, recently. I was born with a very enlarged spleen and lately it has been "popping" and driving me crazy with pain! :mad: It feels as if my spleen is squashing my ribs and I have had ENOUGH now! The pain feels as if it is extending to my kidneys now, while I am typing! :( I have a very irritable bladder, which gets infected, often with one of my kidneys, practically every second week (I am not joking!) and since my period started last night, I have been unable to stop urinating! I am going every five minutes! :mad: I am even struggling to let my colon work at the moment because it causes me such severe pain (I do suffer from chronic, severe constipation, but for once, I am not constipated, so that is not causing me any pain, although I am permanently, severely faecally loaded; I have just got over a bout of Dysentery, actually.)

I saw my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist today (I am sixteen) and he wants me to go and see a Gynaecologist as soon as possible, but I know that I will never be able to get hold of one before January! My pain has also quadrupled since I saw him this morning and it's a Friday night and I have no idea what I should do! :( One of my doctors thought that I might have Endometriosis, but I need to see a Gynaecologist for a thorough examination.

I am not sure what to do; I am sitting here with a hot water bottle on my abdomen and another one against my back! :( The pain is driving me CRAZY! :mad:

Does anyone else have similar problems with this?

Thanks and keep well!

MARYCAIN
12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Bless you honey, I know you are miserable - Yes, I had endometriosis and I remember the terrible menstrual cramps all too well - it sound like that may be what you are experiencing. Do you ever had nosebleeds during your periods? That's pretty good tip-off that endo may be present. You should also ask your doctor whether you have interstitial cystitis - it often goes along with endo and can cause recurring bladder infections and stomsch pain.

Is there any way to get hold of your doctor to see if you can take more pain medicines? Ordinarily I would tell you to try taking ibuprofen to help with the cramps and bleeding, but since you have a kidney problem, that might not be a good idea. Try lying down for a while, then getting up and walking around a little - sometimes the alternating rest and movement helps some. A warm bath might also help - eat some calcium rich foods like yogurt if you tolerate dairy foods. An herb called valerian can help to relieve cramps - you can get it as a tea or as capsules. There just aren't many home remedies that work when your cramps are that bad - ibuprofen helps but please don't take it without checking with your doctor. I find that Vitamin B1 (thiamine) helps some - you can find this in stores that sell vitamin products - it's best to get a b-complex vitamin that includes Vitamin B1 instead of taking it by itself. Sometimes all you do is put on some music and try to distract your self from the pain. Having your mom or somebody rub your back may help some too.

IloveHistory
12-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi!

Thanks very much for the advice and support! :)

No, I have actually never had a nosebleed (except when I broke my nose, but that's quite different! :wink: )

I do take High-Potency Vitamin B-Complex Vitamins every morning, which definitely help with boosting energy levels! My mother is an aromatherapist, so I will go and ask her if she can massage my back for me, thanks.

I used to take Evening Primrose Oil, but then I found out that it had an interaction with my Lamictin (Lamictal/Lamotrigine), so I had to stop taking it. I am now on Epilim (Sodium Valproate) though, but I am not sure yet which homeopathic remedies interact with it, so I'm afraid that I cannot try anything like that until I know. :(

Unfortunately, sitting and lying down seem to aggravate the pain even more! :( Standing appears to be more comfortable, for some odd reason?!

I will go and eat some gluten-free yoghurt ( :wink: ) now and see if that helps, thanks. I love yoghurt! :) I am also going to go and climb into a nice hot bath and pray that it will relax my abdomen somewhat!

Thanks again and keep well! :)

Milagro
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago because of it. Endo is an inflammatory condition and is common with lupus patients from what I have read.

See a gyn-oncologist or an endocrinologist for help. A regular OB-GYN doesn't have enough specialized knowledge to help.

mnjodette
01-15-2007, 05:18 AM
I had Endo years ago - hysterectomy at 29. Not diagnosed with Lupus then, but who knows? Might have been related. I saw more ob-gyn doctors in a year than I've seen in all the years since!

I hope your feeling better, Ilovehistory, and that your doctors can find something to give you relief. I remember well that kind of pain. You're in my prayers.

Jody

IloveHistory
01-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of your advice and support! :)

I went to see a Gynaecologist today and she nearly collapsed when she heard that I sometimes menstruate for fourteen days!

She was very thorough and is convinced that I have a few endocrine problems (the possibility that I might have Hyperaldosteronism already existed), so she took some bloods and will let my mother and I know when she receives the results (I will let all of you know when I hear from her). If there are a few endocrine problems, then she will refer me to an Endocrinologist.

She is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound as well, to check for ovarian cysts (I will let you know how that goes too).

She thinks that I might have Endometriosis and gave me a booklet on the subject, but she wants to sort out all of the other problems before we consider this possibility.

Keep well, everyone! :)

MARYCAIN
01-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm glad she is being so thorough - hopefully you will get some answers soon. I remember the unbelievable cramps and days and days of bleeding all too well. All my friends had "normal" periods, a couple of days of mild cramps and bleeding that hardly slowed them down, so they had a hard time understanding that a period can be a major health problem instead of a minor inconvenience. But please be assured that many of here can relate exactly to what you are going through!

IloveHistory
01-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks, Marycain. I honestly do not know what I would do without all of you on this Forum! You are lifesavers and your support, advice and encouragement keep me going! :D

IloveHistory
01-16-2007, 09:52 AM
P.S. By the way, I just thought that I should mention that my ex-G.P. was prescribing potent anti-fungals to me to treat Thrush (even though I kept telling her that they weren't working! :(), when the Gynaecologist told me that my discharge (:oops:) is not Thrush at all, but indicative of an endocrinological problem! :x My G.P. never swabbed it or anything! :shocked!: My Gynaecologist was FURIOUS! :mad:

littlered
01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Bless your sweet heart, ILoveHistory. You are so young and are dealing with so much--and with great maturity! I sure would have loved to have you in one of my classes when I taught history! You hang in--Kathy

MARYCAIN
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
ILoveHistory, do you mind my asking what symptoms led your doctors to consider the possibility of hyperaldosteronism? It's such an unlikely disorder for a sixteen year old girl, I'm just wondering what would lead them to that.

IloveHistory
01-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi!

Thanks so much, Littlered; I would love to have you as a teacher! :D

Marycain: I don't mind at all; honestly, you can ask me anything! :) Well, I have a lot of problems with Hypokalaemia (led to paralysis once, we think :?: ), heart palpitations, headaches, fatigue, frequent urination, EXTREME thirst (and I am definitely not Diabetic), Hyponatraemia, constipation, odd blood pressure fluctuations (I suffer from Orthostatic Hypotension and always have low blood pressure, but when I am sick and/or am having problems with electrolyte imbalances, I get very high blood pressure, which is worrying! My Paediatric Cardiologist is quite concerned about this. :(), etc. I had my adrenaline levels tested a short while ago and they were VERY high. They are going to test further for this though, but we are waiting for my Gynaecologist to get the results from the screens she sent my blood off for and depending on the results, I may see an Endocrinologist.

I know that it's very unlikely and also that it's very rare, but who knows? My Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist was EXTREMELY doubtful that I had Hyperaldosteronism and told me as much, but now with the bloods and with what my Gynaecologist says, I don't know? My Gynaecologist thought that Hyperaldosteronism was definitely a possibility. We definitely know that there are endocrinological problems, we'll just have to see what they are and what's going on.

Does that answer your question?

Keep well! :)

MARYCAIN
01-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Well, I was thinking about your age as a factor, but with lupus, stranger things have certainly happened! Conn's syndrome can definitely cause all those symptoms, especially the electrolyte imbalances, but most women with Conn's have extremely high blood pressure all the time, and one of your previous posts had mentioned orthostatic hypotension, which was why I was wondering about your symptoms. High adrenaline levels can be a result of stress, or a malfunction in your adrenal system. So seeing an endocrinologist sounds like a great idea - will it take long to get an appointment?

I love history too - so much it was one of my majors in college (or University as you would call it). Is there a particular era that fascinates you, or just history in general?

IloveHistory
01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi!

No, it shouldn't take too long. There is a brilliant Endocrinologist just five minutes away from me at my local hospital! :) I have to wait for my Gynaecologist to get the initial bloods first though and see what she says.

I'm so pleased that you love History too! :D I love History in general, but I am particularly fascinated by the French Revolution, Napoleon Bonaparte, the Russian Revolution and Eastern European History. :) Even though I want to be a Neurosurgeon, I still want to get my Ph.D. in History (probably on some aspect of the History of Neurosurgery, which I would then be able to lecture on); my Psychiatrist advised me to do this because I couldn't decide between being a History Professor and being a Neurosurgeon (very different, I know!)! :lol: :D Is there a particular aspect of History that fascinates you? :)

MARYCAIN
01-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I think history and neurosugery would be a fascinating combination of interests. Although it takes so long to become a neurosurgeon, you might be quite tired of school by then. But the history of neurosurgery would be a fantastic topic for a doctoral dissertation, especially when you consider that some techniques used in modern neurosurgery go all the way back to Hippocrates. Unfortunately, most students aren't as interested or motivated to learn as you obviously are - as a graduate student, I taught introductory history and literature classes to college students who had never heard of the Russian Revolution. So you are already well ahead of the learning curve there!

Like you, I find both the French and Russian Revolutions are a fascinating period, turbulent, tumultous, full of larger than life figures like Napolean in France, and Rasputin in Russia. The thing I've always loved about history is the "what if" questions. "What if" Czar Nicholas's son Alexi hadn't been born with hemophilia. Would Rasputin have still become an influence in the Imperial Court, and would the Revolution still have happened the same way. Or if the American revolution had failed, would the French Revolution even have begun? I guess that's what fascinates me, those single defining points of time that change the face of the world. I'm also interested in the cultural aspects of history, like ethnology and folklore. So you could say that I like history in general, but certain periods are certainly more interesting than others. :)

IloveHistory
01-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Hi!

Thanks, Marycain! :D

I also love to ask those "what if" questions! :wink:

I am cross at the moment, though because yesterday was my first day of the new school year and everything was going brilliantly, when suddenly I experienced amongst the worst abdominal pain that I have ever felt! :cry: A few minutes later, my stomach began to "run" really badly with blood in it (sorry! :oops:). My stomach "ran" all night and is still running now! :x Thankfully, my Paediatrician/Paediatric Cardiologist gave me the most fantastic solution (it tastes DISGUSTING though! :wink:) to use when I have Dysentery or really bad Diarrhea and it's definitely helping! I am SO angry though because I couldn't go to School today and it's only my second day! This is the FIFTH time that I've had Dysentery in nine months! :cry: :x I still have a throat infection too, my lymph nodes are all swollen and my back's gone into spasm again! :cry:

Plus, my period is due soon! :mad:

IloveHistory
02-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi!

I went to see the Gynaecologist again yesterday and she had my Endocrinology bloods back from the Lab.

My Thyroid function is fine (which we already knew anyway); my Prolactin level is fine; my Folicle Stimulating Hormone (F.S.H.) level is fine; my L.H. (:?:) is fine; my 17B Oestradiol (E2) - seriously, I have NO IDEA what this is, but the level is fine; my Sex Hormone Bind. Globulin level is fine (although my Gynaecologist says that it's too low; she needs it to be much higher); my Free Androgen Index is fine; my D.H.E.A.s are fine; my Random Cortisol level is fine and my Progesterone level is fine. However, my T-Testosterone level is very high and so is my Androstenedione level.

So, my Gynaecologist has put me on a low-dose contraceptive pill for eight months, after which I must see her again, to control my hormone levels, to help with the severe pain and to kick-start my body into its own rhythm (i.e. shorten my period to a suitable length - I bleed for FOURTEEN days!). Plus, it should help to clear up my skin - I have Acne and the Epilim (Depakene in the U.S.A./Convulex in the U.K.) which I take for my Epilepsy is aggravating it and making it worse (my Neurologist did warn me about this!), so that will be great! :) My Gynaecologist said that this pill has been specially formulated so that there are no weight-gain side effects, thank goodness! :)

Just thought that I'd let you all know!

MARYCAIN
02-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I hope it works well - keep us posted!