PDA

View Full Version : Celiac Disease and Lupus

IloveHistory
12-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi! :)

Does anyone out there have both Celiac Disease and Lupus?

I have both and I would assume that there would be a connection between the two because they are both auto-immune diseases. Does anyone know whether there is a proven connection?

Thanks very much! :)

Keep well! :D

Saysusie
12-22-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi ILoveHistory;
Systemic lupus erythematosus has been associated with false positive autoantibodies for primary biliary cirrhosis, chronic active hepatitis, Sjogren's syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disorders, syphilis, and scleroderma. Recently, researchers are finding an increased prevalence of autoantibodies in celiac disease and systemic lupus erythematosus, which share the human lymphocyte HLA-B8 and HLA-DR3 histocompatibility antigens. As such, studies are finding a prevalence of celiac disease autoantibodies in systemic lupus erythematosus patients.
The exact cause of celiac disease is unknown, but it's often inherited. Many times, for unclear reasons, the disease emerges after some form of trauma: an infection, a physical injury, the stress of pregnancy, severe stress or surgery. When people with celiac disease eat foods containing gluten, their immune system responds by damaging the small intestine. Because the body's own immune system causes the damage, celiac disease is considered an autoimmune disorder. However, it is also classified as a disease of malabsorption because nutrients are not absorbed. Celiac disease is also known as celiac sprue, nontropical sprue, and gluten-sensitive enteropathy.
People with celiac disease tend to have other autoimmune diseases as well, the connection between celiac disease and these diseases may be genetic:
Dermatitis herpetiformis.
Thyroid disease.
Systemic lupus erythematosus.
Type 1 diabetes.
Liver disease.
Collagen vascular disease.
Rheumatoid arthritis.
Sjogren's syndrome.

Like Lupus, Celiac disease is a chronic disease. Your doctor will probably suggest that you start a gluten-free diet in order to help manage your Celiac disease. By following a gluten free diet, you can help your body to repair the damage to your intestines. Here is one of many websites with helpful information about the gluten-free diet: www.gastromd.com/diets/celiac.
I hope that this has been helpful. I wish you the very best

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

IloveHistory
12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi!

Thanks very much for all of your interesting information, advice and support! :)

I am currently on a gluten-free diet, which really helps! Infact, even my Haemoglobin scores have improved since I stopped eating gluten and quite a few of my skin conditions have either cleared up completely or improved! :)

As well as Lupus and Celiac Disease, I also have Dermatitis Herpetiformis (which has improved IMMENSELY since I stopped eating gluten) and Sjogren's Syndrome.

Thanks again and keep well! :)

Betty
01-20-2007, 03:45 PM
I think you and I are two of a kind. I also have Celiac and the same skin condition ( I can never remember how to spell it). Sometimes I feel like my body has a new surprise illness for me every five years.

I've had the skin suff since I was a kid. I was diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago and am doing soooooo much better on a gluten-free diet. I'm still waiting on a diagnosis for the SLE but they thought I had it 8 years ago and I'm going to see a new Rheumatologist next week.

Is there any other history of autoimmune illness in your family? I haven't found anyone in my whole family tree who is sick like me and my sister. Its like our generation is a health fluke. She still doesn't have a diagnisis either but everyone says she has an autoimmune disease and she's in and out of the hospital all the time. This last time she was in the ICU for a week because they thought she had liver failure.

IloveHistory
01-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi!

Good luck with the new Rheumatologist! :)

Not really! My mother is Insulin Resistant; my second cousin on my mother's side of the family has Rheumatoid Arthritis; my great aunt has Arthritis, Gout and Osteoporosis; my maternal grandmother had Arthritis and Osteoporosis; my uncle and first cousin on my father's side of the family have Crohn's Disease, but there's nothing like S.L.E. or Scleroderma in my family. However, there is the possibility that my mother has Sjogren's Syndrome.

I am the only one in my family who has Lupus, Celiac Disease, Dermatitis Herpetiformis, Fibromyalgia, Overactive Bladder Syndrome, Epilepsy, Exploding Head Syndrome (don't ask :!: :lol: :roll:), Scoliosis, Spina Bifida Occulta, Scheuermann's Disease, Fine Motor Co-Ordination Problems, Low Muscle Tone in my back and feet, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, Raynaud's Phenomenon, Splenomegaly, T.M.J. Dysfunction Syndrome, Bruxism, Pelvic Tilt, Allergic Rhintis, Contact Dermatitis and Keratosis Pilaris (which is SUPPOSED to be genetic, but which can't be in my case because NO-ONE else has it!). Where does all of that come from?! :?

My maternal grandmother had Tachycardia, so I take it that I inherited that from her and my maternal grandfather's mother had Asthma, so I take it that I inherited that too, somewhere. My father has Orthostatic Hypotension, so I must have inherited that from him and my mother has Irritable Bowel Syndrome (as did my maternal grandmother), so that's definitely genetic. My maternal grandfather had polyps in his sinuses, like me, so perhaps I inherited that too? Who knows? It certainly doesn't explain where all of this "other stuff" comes from?!

However, my mother was pregnant with twins and the one twin got absorbed at a crucial development stage, but I survived. However, when I was born, I "popped" out with all of these really strange bone and muscle problems. My feet were very strange and some of the doctors actually thought that I might never be able to walk and that I would end up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life, but after a few weeks, my legs corrected themselves and there was no problem (apart from the low muscle tone in my feet and a problem that I have with my ankle bones). That's where the bone and muscle problems most likely came from and according to my Neurologist, where the Epilepsy might have come from too, so who knows? Maybe a few of my other problems came from there as well? :?:

I hope that you and your sister get better soon!

Keep well! :)

Betty
01-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks. I hope so too. Lately we seem to be taking turns in the hospital (my turn).

Have you thought about writing a book. I bet geneticists would think your history is really interesting.

IloveHistory
01-26-2007, 06:54 AM
Thanks, but they will probably fall asleep reading it! :wink: :lol: