PDA

View Full Version : Okay, another holiday topic

MARYCAIN
12-21-2006, 11:06 PM
I thought of this as I was coming home this evening and we went past a house with the most lit-up plastic thingies I've ever seen in a single yard or roof! The worst were these giant candy canes that looked like barbershop poles and flashed red and white - I'm surprised I didn't have a seizure on the spot. :lol: They also had a Nativity scene, a santa with sleigh and reindeer, a snow family, and I'm sure there were some other things I was just too stunned to fully take in. The crowning glory of the yard was a tractor (a real tractor) wrapped up completely in flashing christmas lights!

So the question is, what are the tackiest outdoor decorations you've seen this year?

mnjodette
12-22-2006, 03:56 AM
There's a house we pass each day that has a really long driveway and at the end of the driveway they built a very formal stone wall, one on each side of the driveway. At the corner of each wall is a lion. Pretty fancy, huh? Well, for Christmas they mounted these white globes all along the top of the walls (probably about 10 of them on each wall) about 6 inches in diameter. Then, below that on the walls were mounted these blue disks. So, at night the white globes flash colors, rotating in some pattern, the blue disks light up and blink, and there are flashing lights all the way up the driveway, leading to some kind of big, blue thingy on the house. And, the lions are now dressed up in a Santa hat, and lit up. It's all just too much.

peach224
12-22-2006, 09:08 AM
There is a house in our neighborhood that has these giant, light up, black and white cows, in a fence and a huge state of Texas that says "Merry Christmas Y'all!" in the center. It cracks me up.

Saysusie
12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
There are several of these houses in my neighborhood also. The thing that I've noticed is that each of these houses are the homes of families with several young children and they allowed their children to do much of the decorations. On my daily walks, I watched as they allowed their kids to do the decorations. I imagine that the kids get a kick out of the over-croweded decorations on the lawns, the house, the hedges, etc.
I actually look at some of them and smile thinking..."I guess that is what it is all about, letting your kids make their holiday bright"
Now, that is not to say that there are not some adults who just get carried away with decorations...I have seen many of those also and they are not cute or amusing :lol:
But, I do enjoy the ones that the kids do......

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

ButterflyRN
12-24-2006, 10:47 AM
We have 2 houses that have basically competed with one another to have as much stuff in their yard as possible. You can't even see the house :lol:

Missy
12-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I just saw one of these that had a holiday plastic carousel in the yard. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought it had children playing in it - I can't imagine wanting to pay the electricity bill to run that 24 hours a day - and I didn't see it at night - maybe it lit up, too!

What I want to know is.....where do they store it all the rest of the year?

MARYCAIN
12-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I never thought about that - maybe they rent a storage building? I got tickled when we saw one of the houses here that had the roof and yard both covered - my youngest son was really concerned and wanted to know how Santa would have room to land the sleigh? Six year olds - gotta love them.

littlered
01-14-2007, 03:01 AM
:oops: I am guilty this year of the tackiest thing of all...I have been feeling so sick that I have YET to take down the Christmas tree! I just keep looking at it and feeling sad that this is the last christmas we will have in this house. And this year, the tree was the loveliest we have ever had. Getting so sick this year really made my holidays more poignant and more meaningful. But the tree comes down tomorrow! I promise. :roll:

cryssyjojo
01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't feel so bad I haven't taking my down yet either. I've just been to worn out. I might try today with help from my husband. Maybe