PDA

View Full Version : MISSY, IS THE BAD WEATHER AFFECTING YOU?

MARYCAIN
12-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I remember you live somewhere in the Pacific Northwest and it seems like that part of the country is just getting pounded by bad weather. I think some other people on the forum live around Seattle - hope everyone is doing okay!

mnjodette
12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
On a lighter note, when I first got sick I told my sister that since I have Raynaud's I would have to be careful to stay warm. And, since I have lupus, I would have to be careful to stay out of the sun. She said "I know the perfect place for you - Seattle! It never gets too cold and it rains so much the sun isn't a problem!"

Jody

MARYCAIN
12-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I sure wouldn't want to be there right now - no electricity and temps in the thirties, and the hospitals are getting multiple cases of carbon monoxide poisoning from people buring things in their houses to stay warm. I guess people aren't used to it being that cold there so they aren't prepared. Definitely not a nice place to be right now.

mnjodette
12-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Yes, not a place to be right now. I'm thankful to live in Northern Minnesota. It can get cold and snowy here, but we very rarely have any extreme weather. My heart goes out to folks who suffer at the hands of the weather...sometimes there is no warning and no chance to get out of the way.

Missy
12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Oh, so sorry I haven't gotten here!

Fortunately, I'm an hour north of Seattle, and barely missed the brunt of the most recent storm. However, that storm was not much compared to what we had in our county two weeks before - we did lose power a couple times then.

My sister teaches near Seattle, and had just gotten a memo from her superintendant saying that even if the power was out to expect to come to work and make it safe for kids......(how?)Anyway, they called off school the next day, so her winter break started early! I think kids around Seattle are going to be in school until July with all the closures. Our school district was out of school for a week with the first storm - too much ice - all the roads were just a sheet of it.

Anyhow, my mother in law lives on the peninsula and was out of power for 3 days.

It has been so sad to hear of all the stories - the carbon monixide stories are the worst........people just don't know. And a woman died in her basement when it flooded, too.

We are very fortunate to have a wood stove for when the power goes out. The funny thing is, we've lived here 3 years and this is the first year we've had any problems and it just keeps coming! I hope it's done now........

Thank you so much for thinking of me!!!!!! :D

MARYCAIN
12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Some of the stories on the news were so tragic - it made me really concerned for anyone in the area. It's hard to imagine drowning in your own home - it's like Katrina without the hurricane. We live in a "tornado alley" and get bad windstorms a lot, but at least we don't have to contend with ice that much. Hopefully the worst of the bad weather will be over soon so you can enjoy the holidays.

Missy
12-20-2006, 07:02 PM
We are headed down to Oregon tomorrow for the holidays. Things are much better here now.

It's sad when you live in the Pacific Northwest and you're happy for the rain to return because it means milder weather!