PDA

View Full Version : What the heck I now have pneumonia???? help

veryhappy
12-15-2006, 08:45 PM
I am tired of this lupus. :mad: I have never been so weak in my life. I used to be known in my family as the "war horse" I never got sick. I just returned from the doctor's office and had a "wet x-ray" which showed I have pneumonia... I hope I don't end up in the hospital. Has anyone gone through this...?

Help and answer please.

Missy
12-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I haven't had pneumonia, but I have gone through the ups and downs of problems with Lupus.

I will wish the best for you and a speedy recovery!

mnjodette
12-16-2006, 02:33 AM
No pneumonis so far, but I know many of this forum have had that experience (I'm sure you'll hear from them.) No one is affected in exactly the same way with lupus. I think of it as a 'shape-shifter' disease. Just about the time I think I understand it, it takes another shape. You're in the right place to learn about lupus. And if you don't have a good doctor on your side, one who really 'gets it' about lupus, try hard to find one. It makes a world of difference. My best to you!

Jody

jaimeluv
12-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Before I was diagnosed with Lupus, I had a few weird illnesses. I had pneumonia and viral mentagitis. I also had a few respitory infections. I feel your pain. I wasn't hospitalized with the pneumonia but I was with the viral mentagitis. I hope you feel better soon!

Quarterhorsegal
12-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I have had pneumonia 3 times, a lung abcess once, and bronchitis so many times I lost track years ago. I get really tired, like I have slept for 3 hours so I have just enough energy to get up and walk to the couch where I need to sleep for another 3 hours because walking there wiped me out! Take your antibiotics, rest, and drink LOTs of water. Hope you feel better soon.

littlered
12-16-2006, 08:56 AM
I concur with Quarterhorse...rest, drink lots and lots of water, and take those meds. Did they give you a nebulizer? Those breathing treatments really help. Ask them to give you a prescription for one and USE IT.
I've had pneumonia a few times. It really wipes you out, and it is DANGEROUS...I can't believe they haven't hospitalized you. If you start feeling too badly, GO TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY!!
My prayers and good wishes to you--Kathy

Saysusie
12-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Unfortunately, with Lupus, we are susceptible to infections of many kinds! We are more susceptible to infection than most people for two reasons:
Lupus directly affects our immune system and reduces our ability to prevent and fight infection and many of the drugs used to treat lupus suppress the function of the immune system and leaves our body more prone to infection.
Also, unfortunately, we are advised to be extremely careful at this time of year and to avoid exposure to people with colds, flu or other infections. Infection poses a risk to all people with lupus, especially those who are taking immunosuppressives or steroids. Infection is the most common cause of pneumonia in people with lupus. Also, bacteria, virus, or fungi are organisms that can cause an infection to affect our lungs and turn into pneumonia.
But, Sometimes pneumonia may occur without infection and is then called non-infectious pneumonitis and we are more susceptible to this form of pneumonia also. People with Lupus generally develop infectious pneumonitis. Pneumonitis is an inflammation within the lung tissue and can cause fever, chest pain, shortness of breath, and a cough.
Having pneumonia with Lupus can be scary and, as Littlered pointed out, dangerous if you do not take care of it immediately.
I have had pneumonia and been hospitalized for it, I've also been hospitalized with serious viral infections.
Please take your medications, get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids and give your body a chance to fight off the pneumonia.
I wish you the best!!
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie