PDA

View Full Version : ok...sighhh...trying AGAIN

littlered
12-12-2006, 10:21 AM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/littlered_015/2971743980026963003wNsblj_th.jpg

Novio, the frat boy daddy

Mama Marisol
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/littlered_015/86266045HkQPBE_ph.jpg

our babies
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o100/littlered_015/66037893fvjnfX_ph.jpg

littlered
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Couldn't y'all just eat em UP? (don't know why the red letters appeared on the last pic....this is 2006!! I'm still learning Photobucket, and still goofing it up...ah, well.

MARYCAIN
12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
They are darling! I think the problem is the date/time indicator on your camera but no idea how to fix it!

littlered
12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
We have a problem....Buster, the boston terrier, wants SO bad to go in the playpen and "mother" the puppies (remember, he is our household 'nanny" dog)...He whines and cries when they are whimpering, and Marisol shows him her Halloween teeth....like, "NObody coming NEAR these babies of mine!" Poooor Buster, he just wants to love em up.

MARYCAIN
12-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I think Buster needs a kitten or puppy of his own to take care of - I'll bet he would make a great "foster" mom even across species - maybe it's time to get a kitten. He probably wouldn't be happy with a stuffed animal to nurture, I think it's so cute the way the boy dogs seem more "maternal" than the females. But if Marisol is that protective, she might bite him if he tries getting in with the puppies. Poor Buster....

mnjodette
12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
The puppies are just darling! I can see why you were so excited to share the news. Nothing like a puppy to take your mind off your problems!

Missy
12-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks so much for the photos!!!!!

homenow
01-09-2007, 06:16 AM
They're SO CUTE!

I love dogs :)

littlered
01-09-2007, 07:19 AM
They will leave in about 4 weeks. booohooo. I will miss them so much!

browneyedgirl53
01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
You'll miss them, until they all start getting curious and are all over the place :D (just kidding).

Those puppies are so so cute.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Much love,
Browneyedgirl

IloveHistory
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi!

Thanks SO much for sharing your photographs, Littlered! :D

Your puppies are absolutely ADORABLE! :D

I am so jealous! :wink:

Keep well and enjoy your new bundles of joy! :D :wink:

MARYCAIN
01-09-2007, 01:12 PM
A friend of ours has offered us a free pomeranian puppy from her last litter, but it's a strictly an indoor dog, and we already have the stray dog we are taking care of as an outside dog, plus two inside cats, and the other outside animals. It's been years since we had an indoor dog, and I don't know if this little furball could survive in a house with 4 kids. But he is soooo adorable - just like a tiny red fox! Our friends are an older couple with no children, so I'm not sure they really understand how lively our house can be. I'm just not sure it would be a good pet for us - opinions anybody?

mnjodette
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I won't ask my 'dog expert' sister for advice again, since she didn't reply the last time. :x There are websites out there that give you info on breeds and what kind of home they would be best for. I know www.dog-breeds.net is one of them. Check Google for others. Sounds like a cutie, but small dogs bring their own challenges.

littlered
01-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh, if we didn't already have so many dogs, I'd take you up on it ASAP! I had one as a girl...named him Aslin. They look like little lions. And they are smart, smart, SMART! Let me talk to my husband he'll say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask)

MARYCAIN
01-09-2007, 08:33 PM
We don't actually have him yet - he's just a month or so old now, we've just seen the puppies at their house, and she wanted me to have one because this will be the last litter from their grown dog. She knows I love foxes, so I guess she figures this is the next best thing to having a fox as a pet. But from what I've read, they seem pretty high-maintenance - we already have two long haired cats who have to be groomed every day, plus the whole outside menagerie to care for, so I think we are going to turn him down, much as I want him. We already have the stray we are planning to keep, and paying the license and vet fees for TWO dogs and all the cats would add up pretty quickly.

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Marycain, I know it's tempting to take the puppy. My father-in-law has several of them. That is how we got our Poma-Poo, he has a Poodle as well. They are high maintaince and do require lots of attention. They are considered lap dogs. Ours will whine when we are in the room and not holding her which does get annoying.

One of Parkers dogs fell from the couch and it was enough to break her leg. With children they have a tendency to play too rough. We are forever telling them to STOP pulling or fighting over them. I watch my daughters PomaPoo while she is at work.

We thought for sure after having them for over a year now that the kids would lose interest in them, not even close. They are from the same litter and it is so much easier to have 2 of them instead of just the one. They entertain each other.

I love my puppy to death and not for a second regretted getting her, but she is our only inside dog and therefore easier to maintain. I hope this helps some.

MARYCAIN
01-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Well, the boys have all been taught how to handle animals gently, and they are very good about it, but a small dog like that is probably not the best option with four young kids. And we already have enough animals that have to be groomed every day. It's a beautiful little dog, but just too much work to take on right now. And in our county, all dogs have to be registered and licensed whether they are indoor or outdoor dogs. Which would mean another trip to the county seat, which is on the other side of the county from where we live, so it's an hour's drive there and back. And your story about the poor thing breaking its leg makes me even more sure that kind of dog just isn't sturdy enough to do well in a house like ours.

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 11:41 AM
I hope I did not make them sound like a poor choice for a pet. My dog is no doubt a bit spoiled. I am sure other people have dogs that are better disciplined and not as whiney. Their hair can be an issue but I do know people who have had them cut like a little lion. We do that with our Keeshond-Chow every summer. As far as Sadie goes because she has Poodle in her we keep her hair short and have no problems with shedding. When it is cold outside there is nothing like having a little dog on your lap to keep you warm. Also we have a large kennel for her. I know the experts say it should only be large enough for them to stand in but she can play in hers. We keep it in the den so she is right there with us.

This is her space and she knows it. She has a cushy bed and toys along with her food and water in it. We put her in her kennel every night. That way we know she will not get hurt or have an accident when we are not around. When the grandkids become rambunctious she will go to her kennel and they know not to touch her while she is in there. Having the kennel has made it a wonderful experience for us. She trained quickly not to soil her space. I will admit I was concerned about having a pet and accidents in the house. Knock on wood she has not had one accident yet. My daughters dog loves her kennel as well. They switch off with her in their bed and the kennel.

So there are ways of keeping these wonderful little balls of fur.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/parkert_2006/puppies091-1.jpg

MARYCAIN
01-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Yours is absolutely adoreable - such a sweet little face. But I would probably be worried constantly that a little dog would get hurt. We already have a menagerie - two indoor cats and a rabbit, outdoor cats, the stray dog we're keeping, three goats and a barn owl, plus ducks and geese. And this year the twins start their 4-H animal projects, so there will also be piglets or lambs to take care of too. So it's not like we have a shortage of animals. :D Michael is dying to get a couple of alpacas, but so far I'm holding my ground there.

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I am in awe of you. I love animals but I also know my limits. I wish I could say I'd have no problem with a bunch of animals running all over my house. Parker has 7-8 dogs. Most are Pomeranians and a miniature Beagle. They have full run of the house and they are a full time job. There have been many occassions where they could not leave town because of them. I think you are making a wise decision. You do have a nice variety already. As I said, my dog is not different from all of Parkers Poms, they all like to be held.

I meant to ask you about your stray. There was an article in our paper today about a case of rabies in our area, it involved a raccoon. It immediately made me think of you. I believe you stated that your stray may have fought with one. Also did you ever name her?

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 12:22 PM
This is another reason I love my puppy so much. She lets me dress her up. She has actually gotten used to wearing clothes and when I do not have a t-shirt on her she will get one and bring it to me. She will even put her little head down to slip it on and put her paws in it. I guess you never get too old to play dress up!
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/parkert_2006/puppies078-1.jpg

MARYCAIN
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, the two cats and the rabbit are the only ones actually in the house, all the rest are in the barn or the pasture. And the rabbit is content to stay in the boys' playroom. We "inherited" it when my oldest brother divorced - his wife got the house and kids, he got the dog and the credit card bills, we got the rabbit! Luckily, with plenty of family in the area, it's not hard to find a teenage niece or nephew willing to animal-sit for us for a little extra cash. And one of my older nieces plans to be a vet, so she's always willing to help out. She is always bringing orphan and stray animals home, and has helped me hand-raise several wildlings, including a squirrel and a litter of orphaned baby possums.

We ended up keeping the stray dog because she turned out to be very sweet once she got over her initial fear. We ran an ad in the local paper and radio stations, but no one ever claimed her. We never knew for sure exactly what caused her injuries, since they did look more like claws than bites. We do have many raccoons in the area, but also have bobcat, fox, coyote, and the occasional wolf. So it's hard to know exactly what caused her injuries. But they are healing well and new hair is growing back over them. The Fish and Wildlife folks in this area are very vigilant about monitoring for rabies in the local wildlife, and there haven't been any recent outbreaks I've heard about. I would be more concerned in the summer, when rabies outbreaks aren't unusual, because of all the caves and bats in the area. But she's had all her shots now, and is past the incubation period if she had been exposed, so I feel pretty safe. We are calling her Mama until she gains more weight and we know more about how she will look at her full weight. She has discovered the "fainting" goats in the pasture, and seems to be almost laughing when something startles them and they keel over. So far she has shown no tendency to chase them, so we are allowing her into the pasture and yard. She has apparently decided that the barn is a better place to sleep than her big crate, so she keeps the goats company at night, and curls up right in the stall with them. It's really sweet, if I can figure out this digital camera business I will post a picture.

littlered
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Marycain, DO think about keeping the Pom. Your kids sound VERY well behaved around animals....tell them to think of him as a tiny baby who you need to watch for and handle gently.
I asked G, he said ABSOLUTELY not (being as we have so many pups running around) BUT...he has a teacher who just a few weeks ago got a Pom puppy and loves him...SHE may be VERY interested. She will even probably pay frieght. I will let you know. Love, Kathy

psalm 56 3
01-10-2007, 01:08 PM
My daughters dog Sassy does the "fainting goat". It kills us, when anyone is the least bit upset with her she will drop immediately to the ground and is very still. So we tag this move as the "fainting goat". We say mine is like a mountain goat because of how high she will jump. Since she was a baby she has been known to get in unuaual places.

I would love to see a picture of Mama with the goats. It would be great to see all of your animals....

MARYCAIN
01-10-2007, 01:22 PM
They aren't breeders, so they don't normally let their puppies go except to people they know locally, where the puppy can come back to them if there are any problems. And with all the horror stories about animals who are shipped by kennels, I don't think they would agree to send one of their "babies" off to a strange state with people they've never met. Sorry!

littlered
01-10-2007, 02:20 PM
ok, worth a try anyhow.
My pups have now figured out how to crawl out of the playpen and are EVERYwhere--we have to be careful where we "step"...don'twant to step on puppy or in poo! (Poor g got caught in a crap-crap trap last night...what ARE the odds of stepping in poo with BOTH feet????)
They are so cute and funny. Buster is now so happy, he plays with them VERY gently and steps in when they irritate elderly (and grumpy) Max. He is so protective! Mama Marisol is so laid back about them now. She wants them all where she can see them, but trusts Buster, the "nanny." Novio (the father)couldn't care LESS about them. Typical Frat Boy.
The buyers have been to see/handle them for the last few weeks. I can tell they'll all be good parents. One wants to breed his female (she's the prettiest one...has black/tan and white symmetrical markings.) He wants to call her "Latifa" cause she's gonna be big and gorgeous.
I think this is the last time we will breed. I had no idea what it entailed. But this was sure fun!!!! Hope I can let them go without sobbing.

MARYCAIN
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I get attached pretty easily - not sure I could stand to let them go. Although stepping in poo a couple of times might change my mind - hope you don't have carpet! :D