PDA

View Full Version : Trazadone?

mnjodette
11-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Can someone tell me exactly what trazadone is and what your experience has been with it? I use Ambien for sleep problems, and it works pretty well, but I hesitate to use it very often. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I see a lot of you have used trazadone and I am thinking about talking to my doc about using it (or something else.) Any suggestions?

I'm on plaquenil, imuran, neurontin, actonel and prednisone - any drug interactions with sleep meds like trazadone?

Jody

kkelly
11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Jody
I tried Trazadone last week after reading about it on this forum. I use Imovane (only in Canada). But I had a bad experience with trazadone. I had the spins - it was awful, every time I would move in bed I would feel like I was flipping around. Its an anti-depressant that also helps with sleep issues. My doctor thought it was a good option also but I guess it just didn't agree with me.
hope this helps.
Karen

MARYCAIN
11-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Trazadone is an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drug (technically it is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and is also a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist). Because it causes sleepiness (sedation), it is also prescribed as a sleep aid - in lower doses than used for depression. As an anti-depressant, it is often prescribed for people who can't take Prozac-type antidepressants. It causes less nausea and vomiting than than the prozac type, and the manufacturers claim it works on depression within the first week.

As a sleep aid, it is often prescribed for people with fibromyalgia because it blocks the abnormal dreams and nightime muscle spasms that mamy people with fibro have. It does have a lot of drug interactions, so you should check with your pharmacist about your other meds. You should not use trazadone if you have heart disease or a seizure disorder, including lupus seizures. It also interacts with grapefruit juice, so you shouldn't drink grapefruiit juice while taking this med.

If you are concerned about dependence, you might ask your doctor about Rozerem. It is supposed to have the least potential for dependence. It was just FDA approved last year, so there's no generic available - but if your insurance pays for ambien it should also cover Rozerem since they are in the same drug class.

SoleSinger
11-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Trazodone has been great for me! It doesn't do anything for pain or depression which my doctor said it should, but it helps me sleep like no other! And I don't wake up feeling groggy or anything! I LOVE that stuff! I got used to the 50mg dose, but the 100mg dose is just as effective as it was 7 months ago!! It's great! Let us know how it goes!

atedj
11-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I took trazodone for awhile as well. I was having a terrible time falling asleep and then staying asleep because of the meds. I took trazodone on the nights when I really needed sleep (because I hadn't well slept the night before) and it worked miracles. Like Solesinger, I slept amazingly well. I fell asleep easier, stayed asleep and slept like a rock (which is amazing because I'm usually a very light sleeper and wake up at the smallest sound). And I didn't feel hungover the next day or have trouble waking up or anything. I was told I could take it every night, but I tried not to since I didn't want to become dependent. I can't remember the dosage, but I only needed half the dose my doctor recommended so I'd cut the pills in half.
So basically, it worked amazingly well for me. Hope this helps!

peach224
12-03-2006, 09:04 AM
My experience with Trazodone has been pretty good as well. It does not help me fall asleep, but it does help me stay asleep. I have fibromyalgia as well as lupus and the night time muscle pain and spasms, as well as panic attacks were a major problem.

The only side effect that I have is that if I am awakened in the night to use the bathroom, and first thing in the morning for about 15 minutes, I have very blurry double vision. I have learned to let my alarm go off about 15 minutes before I need to get up and I look around the room and give myself time to wake up slowly to work around this. Otherwise, Trazodone has worked better than anything else I have tried.

SoleSinger
12-03-2006, 07:33 PM
That could be the meds drying out your eyes... Try some saline eye drops and the biotene line! My eyes and throat have been really dry since taking Trazodone and prozac... Those really help

peach224
12-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I do use the products in the biotene line and natural tears drops, because of Sjogren's. They have been a godsend! But even using those, I still wake up with blurry vision. I didn't have it before I took the Trazodone, so I figured that was it.

beautifulbeluga
12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi, I used to use trazadone as a sleep aid and at first it was a miracle pill. It really helped me fall asleep and stay asleep. I have had sleep problems for years. The problem for me was that after a while (a few months) I began to wake up again about 3 hours after falling a sleep. My doctor increased the dose and that still did not help and with an increased dose I began to have other symptoms (dizzy, groggy in the a.m. ) and finally rebound sleep problems. With rebound sleep problems I mean I would fall asleep OK but after a few hours I would wake up and then Not be able to fall asleep again.

I finally had to quit taking it because of these issues and now sleep better without anything.

mnjodette
12-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all of your good advice. I also have Sjogren's and need to be careful about anything that dries out my eyes. I've had that problem severely for years. I have had both of my lower tear ducts cauterized shut and my upper tear ducts have plugs to prevent loss of moisture. I use over the counter moisture drops and have tried Restasis (burned my eyes too much.) But, dry eyes or not, if trazadone can help me sleep better, I'm willing to give it a try!

Jody

MARYCAIN
12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Jody, has your rhuemie ever mentioned Evoxac for the Sjogrens? I used to take saligen for the dry mouth, but my rheumie recommended changing to Evoxac, which seems to help both the dry mouth and the dry eyes and stimulate tear production. It's a pill, not eyedrops, so no burning like restasis (which caused both my eyes to get inflammed and practically swell shut). My eyes feel a lot better and I don't have to use the artificial tears as often, plus I don't wake up feeling like I'm choking on a mouthful of cotton wool. The Evoxac made my stomach a little upset for the first couple of weeks but it went away as I got used to the drug, and it was worth it to get some relief from the sjogrens, which was causing my salivary glands to swell so badly I looked like a chipmunk! :)

mnjodette
12-04-2006, 08:53 PM
No, she hasn't mentioned Evoxac. I'll ask her about it next visit (couple week from now.) I dislike the dry mouth feeling, but haven't had any swelling. I also have very dry membranes in my nasal area and have nose bleeds a lot. I haven't found a solution for that one yet (or at least one that I can tolerate.) Now that it's winter here in Minnesota, the dryness is even more problematic. Thanks for the tip.

Jody

PR2001
12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi, I recently started taking trazadone because of trouble sleeping. So far, it works great. The pill is 50mg, so I take 2 nightly and sleep tight.

I tried this naturally sleep aid, Melatonin, but it didn't do the trick. After trying 3 pills and still waking up at 2 AM, I consulted my doctor about the trazadone.

littlered
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
I've just recently been taking 150 mg of Trazodone. I LOVE IT! I sleep incredibly well, better than I have in a LONG time, and I haven't noticed any side effects other than a *slight* grogginess in the morning. What's great too is that Trazodone is generic, and so much less expensive than Lunesta, which did nothing for me, and Ambien, which is verrrry expensive.

MARYCAIN
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Does your local wal-mart have the $4 generic drugs? Although I hate going to Wally world, it saves so much on some of the basic drugs like trazadone and some of my other meds that it's worth the hassle of finding a parking place. I think Texas is one of the participating states. And some of the drugs are even cheaper than $4 - my last prednisone refill was less than $2

littlered
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks, I will check Walmart. I never even thought about it!