PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lupus and Breast Augmentation?

brenda
11-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the supposed link between breast implants and Lupus? I already have many symptoms and my dr. says I "likely" have Lupus, but I am considering breast augmentation and am worried that my symptoms will worsen. The plastic surgeon I have talked to says there isn't really any link between the two, but I just want to be safe. Has anyone else with Lupus had such a surgery? If so, did you notice symtoms getting worse?

Thank you!

MARYCAIN
11-28-2006, 04:30 PM
The problem with breast implants and lupus occurred with the silicone gel breast implants. These implants were taken off the market for several years because of safety problems with the implants rupturing and leaking. However, no link between these implants and autoimmune disease has ever been proven, although many women believe the implants made them sick. Two brands of silicone gel breast implants have recently been FDA approved for breast augmentation (enlargement) for women age 22 or older. Women age 18-21 who want breast augmentation reasons are restricted to saline implants. There are no restrictions for women who need breast implants for reconstruction after breast surgery. No implants are FDA approved for breast augmentation in women under 18.

Even though there is no proven link to auto-immune disease, cosmetic breast surgery has a very high rate of complications. A Mayo Clinic study found that 25% of women with breast implants suffered local complications requiring additional surgery within five years. Studies by the implant manufacturers themselves reported that most reconstruction patients and a large proportion of augmentation patients report at least one serious complication within three years. In one Canadian study, 41% of women with breast implants choose to have them removed within ten years because of health problems.

Surgery itself can be stressful for people with auto-immune diseases and could cause the disease to flare up. People with autoimmune disease often have problems with slow wound healing, blood clots, and other medical problems which make surgery riskier for them. Since you have an illness which hasn't even been diagnosed at this point, I seriously doubt any reputable plastic surgeon would consider surgery until your medical situation is resolved. And any surgeon who is willing to proceed under these circumstances may be taking chances with your health. So please think seriously about this, and do your research - before you choose a plastic surgeon, make sure he/she is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons, and that any surgery will take place in a hospital or surgery center, not an office suite. Check with your state board of medical licensure to make sure there are no pending malpractice claims or disciplinary actions against the doctor. And ask the surgeon how many implant procedures he personally has performed - you do not want an inexperienced surgeon learning on you.

I do not want to scare you, but please remember that with any surgery there can be complications, and the risk of permanent scarring and disfigurement. So also ask your doctor what his complication rate is, and how many of his patients have required revision surgery to fix or remove implants. An honest, reputable surgeon will provide you with this information - any surgeon who tells you not to worry because the procedure is risk free is not honest, and you should steer clear.

admin
11-29-2006, 01:06 AM
This is the best thread ever.

Saysusie
11-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Conrad ... :D

Missy
11-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, Conrad..........why exactly is this the best thread ever? :lol:

I'm so glad MaryCain brought up all the implications of cosmetic/optional surgery. They are all really important things to think about before making the desicion that is right for you.Personally, with Lupus, I would never choose to have a surgery that wasn't medically necessary due to the high possibility of a flare.

Also, not sure of your age and wishes, but a breast surgery can affect breastfeeding in the future.

Good luck with your decision!

admin
12-01-2006, 05:11 AM
I can't wait to see the version of this in the Men's Forum.

*slithers back to lair*

Saysusie
12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
INCORRIGIBLE I SAY>>>INCORRIGIBLE

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Conrad...I still miss you

Saysusie

littlered
12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Somebody please SPANK Conrad....oh, never mind. He may enjoy it FAR too much! LOL :lol: