PDA

View Full Version : Sores normal but in the throat?

ndl06
11-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi. I was wondering if the fever blisters and sores you get run down your throat too? My throat is very swollen, like a lump inside down the side it feels and today is so hard to swallow. Is it the sores???

I'm allowed to use I could use Abreva for the lips, but now that this popped up too I'd like to know if there's anything over-the-counter that I can use for the throat or something more natural, any good remedy for it? (I am on meds for the Lupus itself, just looking for this seperate remedy).

Thanks, I am glad I found this forum. Just want people to know we're not alone in this and little by little Lupus will be better known if we keep together and help each other. Know there will be good days and bad and it's good to have support. Also, I'm sure you all know of http://lupus.org it's so informative!

MARYCAIN
11-19-2006, 08:41 AM
The oral ulcers from lupus are usually on the mucosal layers inside the mouth, and they generally don't hurt. "Fever blisters" or "cold sores" affecting the lips are a different thing - most often they are caused by a herpes simplex virus, much like the virus that causes shingles. If you are taking prednisone for your lupus, and you have the dormant herpes simplex virus, the prednisone can cause the virus to become active and trigger a vicious outbreak of cold sores. Stress, sun exposure, colds or flu, and other medications can also trigger an outbreak. It's possible that this could also affect your throat, but there are many other things that can also cause your throat to be sore - some lupus-related, others "normal" like a cold or tonsillitis. I think sometimes we attribute every symptom to lupus, and forget that we can get other illnesses too. So it's always a good idea to check with your doctor when something new pops up. Prednisone can also cause oral thrush (candida or "yeast infection") which can spread to the throat - so if you are on prednisone or other steroids, you should definitely check with the doctor.

If these are cold sores - l-lysine supplements may help bring them under control. You can find these in most natural food stores. It's also a good idea to avoid foods high in the amino-acid arginine, which can also trigger an outbreak. Foods high in arginine include chocolate, peanuts, oatmeal. peas, and whole-wheat products. Some people think that b-complex vitamins, especially b-12, and vitamin c, also help. Eating yogurt with active cultures, or taking lactobaacillus supplements if you don't like yogurt, can also help reduce the recurrence of cold sores. You also need to wash your hands thoroughly after applying medicine to the sores, and sterilize or replace your toothbrush often if these are herpes simplex cold sores - this is a virus and like other viruses it is contagious. Only your doctor can tell whether these outbreaks are related to HSV or lupus or sometime else, so definitely discuss it with your doctor.

ndl06
11-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi & Thanks for the informative response. So for the throat, is there anything else to try, maybe throat syrups, whether natural or OTC? Or is is this bad if you have Lupus??

Thanks again.

MARYCAIN
11-19-2006, 09:34 AM
I think it's important to find out first what's actully causing it - if it's a sore throat from a cold or infection, or oral thrush, or swollen lymph nodes from the lupus - different causes would need different things to help. Just for pain relief until you can get to your doctor, chloraseptic throat spray tastes awful but works great. You can also get cepacol sore throat lozenges in most drugstoes - they are very effective in numbing your throat so you can swallow, annd also come in a sugar-free form.

Many natural food stores carry zinc logenges, or slippery elm lozenges, which also soothe the throat. Hot tea with honey can also help, especially blackcurrant tea, which you can find in some health food stores. You might also be able to find blackcurrant lozenges or extract in some larger stores. Blackcurrant has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties and may reduce the outbreak of cold sores. A product called Sambucol, a black elderberry extract, is available in most health food stores - it is very helpful for viral illnesses such as colds and flu which may cause sore throat. Many herbalists recommend propolis lozenges or tablets but you shouldn't use this if you are allergic to bees or prone to any type of allergic reaction.

Hope this helps!

ndl06
11-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully something will work today until I can call the doc.