PDA

View Full Version : Wondered how Lupus has impacted people's ability to work ?

GlassHalfFull
11-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Outside the home that is.... I'm defining people who telecommute as workers outside the home BTW

Missy
11-18-2006, 07:28 PM
A couple options fit for me - since I was disabled and off work for more than a year, but now work, only less than before. I'll just answer how things are now! :D

mnjodette
11-19-2006, 03:55 PM
I've been fortunate enough to be able to switch from a 50+ hours per week management job to a 24 hours per week special projects job with my same employer. I can work out of my home when I need to and (for the most part) can set my own hours. My husband has been really supportive and that makes all the difference. I'm thankful every day!

Jody

stjames13
11-23-2006, 10:27 AM
8) Due to the myriad of problems I have the DOCTORS are still un sure whether or not the LUPUS caused my coronary problems and if it had anything to do with my bonemass being depleted thus causing BOTH my neck and back to collapse and break several vertabrae.

My disability and retirement came with the combination of LUPUS, my BACK and NECK breaking , Coronary problems along with 2 heart attacks, liver caner, and too many auto-immune disorders.

But still I live a FULL AND HAPPY LIFE !!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

It's to easy to be MISERABLE, though it is a fight to smile when one feels so badly but a smile will certainly put a smile on your heart !!!!!

STJames 8)

overit
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Just lost my job last week after 9 years with the company. Pleuritis/costochondritis since beginning of sept. Between pain and lack of sleep and side effects of meds, I had to drop to half time. Dr's basically resorted to painkillers, sleeping meds, and waking meds as the traditional lupus meds aren't helping and come with a variety of side effects. I was out of FMLA due to surgery earlier this year, and company refused to allow me to work part time in my position, and then blocked me when I found someone who wanted me to work on their project part time. I'm definitely over it all. They've offered me severance (with a waiver that I won't sue them of course) and then I'll be entitled to unemployment. My initial reaction is fight to try to find a part time job right away, but I'm trying to refocus my energies on getting better instead for a little while. My health is more important than my career ( if I say it enough times I hope I will start to live it).

MARYCAIN
12-06-2006, 01:47 PM
You might have a valid claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act, or your state's equal employment opportunity laws. Just remember that many states have very strict time limits within which to file a discrimination claim, and often require plaintiffs to file an administrative claim with the State EEOC office first before you can pursue a court claim. The time limit for federal claims under the ADA is generally the time allowed for filing a personal injury claim in your state. The time limitation starts to run from the date of the discriminatory action, so if there is any possibilty you might pursue a claim, you should find out what your options and time frames are under your state's laws. Otherwise, even if you decide you want to fight your employer's actions, it might be too late. And if you had insurance with your employer, you might still have COBRA or ERISA benefits even if you were fired "for cause", which would allow you to retain your health insurance benefits. I know it's frustrating and tiring to think about, but be sure you know exactly what rights you're giving up before you sign any type of release. If severance allows you to draw unemployment and keep your insurance through COBRA (you pay the premium but at the group policy rate with no loss of coverage), then it might be a good option, especially if you can negotiate job placement or retraining benefits too. You might also qualify for help through your state department of vocational rehabilitation to help you find a job with an employer who will accomodate your health problems.

Lula2ya
12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I quit a job I loved about a year and a half ago, It was too hard on me to go out everyday and work I was so fatigued and I could never rely on how I was going to feel, plus my job could be a little physical at times. My boss and co workers were great and would cut me a lot of slack they would have kept me there for 50 years, but it came to the point where I felt I needed to quit. My health has actually deteriorated since then and I can't even imagine holding down a job now. My hubby is fine with it, he loves to have me home, I think he feels I'm safer some how. I've thought about applying for disability, we don't really need the $$ but I would do it to offset some of my medical expenses. Sometimes I feel bad that I cost us so much $$$.

littlered
12-07-2006, 05:12 PM
I was a teacher....a great one. I loved it, was born to do it. Then Lupus got worse and worse. Principal after principal would refuse to renew my contract; nevermind that my classes were always among the highest scoring on the state tests, were well-behaved, and the kids LOVED me because the way I teach, it's FUN to learn. They'd shake their big ugly heads and say, "Well, we just can't handle a teacher missing so many days." It boiled down to money. They had to pay me 10 days of sick leave (which I often used up and still had to miss work, meaning a loss of income for me) in addition to hiring a sub. The the accident with my leg happened. With St. James's help, I'm going to fight for disability, but I miss teaching so very much. Half the kids in the neighborhood come over from time to time because they don't understand or can't remember how to do the homework they've been assigned. And YES I help them...because it's who I am, whether employed or not.