PDA

View Full Version : Types of "Light"

GlassHalfFull
11-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I know that I am supposed to stay out of direct sunlight between 10 am and 4 pm per my Dr -- but I was wondering about other types of light. I saw a promo for a dry sauna the other day, and they were talking about the light/heat.

How does UVA vs. UVB vs. whatever else is out there (natural or artificial) comparatively impact lupus?

MARYCAIN
11-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Here is a link to an article that might answer some of your questions.

www.lupus.org/education/articles/lightsensitivity.html

kkelly
11-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Glasshalf full
That article on photosensitivity was informative. I wanted to mention that I am using UVA-1 light therapy as an adjunct therapy to help relieve my symptoms. I find a big difference with the fatigue and my joints /rash seems better as well. That being said I don't think I am particularly photosentive. I am always careful in the sun (lots of block and usually long sleeves) but this year I tested things a little to see if I could notice a difference. The thing is I have been in full flare mode since the DX (3 years) but the sun doesn't seem to make things worse.
Anyhow, I am finding the UVA helpful.....I also took rituxan in august so I think both things are helping me.
I am worried about long term effects of UVA but not alot more than some of the long term effects of some of the drugs I have been on.
Hope this is helpful.
Karen