PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

beckyebrown
11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I am new to this site. I was just released from the hospital. My blood pressure kept spiking to the point I had to be taken to the hospital from work by ambulance, because they thought I might be having a stroke or heart attack. I was diagnosed with lupus four years ago, however I have had health problems since I was 14. I am looking for all sorts of answers and hope someone can answer these for me. Glad I found this site.

God bless,

Becky :D

MARYCAIN
11-16-2006, 07:59 AM
And welcome! Blood pressure problems can be very frightening - do the doctors believe this was caused by your lupus? Are you on medication to help?

I hope you will find this forum is a warm and welcoming place. So glad you joined us!

Saysusie
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi Beckyebrown :lol:
I am so happy that you found us and that you've decided to become a part of our family. We will be happy to answer any questions that you may have as best as we can. We are here to give you support and to offer you comfort when you need it.
Lupus can affect every part of our bodies, including our cardiovascular system. Cardiovascular complications of lupus include atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. Atherosclerosis is a condition in which fatty deposits build up on the inside of the arteries. These deposits can reduce or block blood flow. High blood pressure increases the risk of having a heart attack or stroke. High blood pressure can also happen when lupus damages the kidneys (kidneys help regulate blood pressure).
Let us know how you are doing, if you are on medications, are they helping?

Once Again.....Welcome

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

beckyebrown
11-16-2006, 09:50 PM
I thought the reason for my blood pressure spiking was the change of my anti-inflammatory to Celebrex. However, I had stopped the Celebrex on my own and had been off for a week. My doctor thinks that could be a possibility, but we are really unsure. Every anti-inflammatory I am prescribed I have some sort of reaction.....so I guess I won't be able to take anything. :(

Having others to share with that have been through the same things was a tremendous relief to me!! Thank you Susie for starting this site. I do not feel alone any longer.

Becky

Saysusie
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi Beckyebrown :lol:
First, let me say that one of the most important things that I want everyone here to know is that: You Are NOT Alone!!
We are here specifically to let you know that and to help you navigate through this complicated and mystifying disease!!
There have been trials studying the effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on blood pressure. Pooled mean treatment effects were computed in each trial for blood pressure, weight, creatinine clearance, plasma renin activity, and daily urinary excretion of sodium and prostaglandins. It was found that NSAIDs elevated supine mean blood pressure by 5.0 mm Hg (95% CI, 1.2 to 8.7 mm Hg). Note that systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurements were not used in some of the studies.
It was concluded that, "Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may elevate blood pressure and antagonize the blood pressure-lowering effect of antihypertensive medication to an extent that may potentially increase hypertension-related morbidity. Although certain NSAIDs and antihypertensive agents could be more likely to produce these effects, the underlying mechanisms require further study." Drugs containing acetaminophen were found to be one of the anti-inflammatory drugs that affected blood pressure.
So, there may be some validity to your assumption that your anti-inflammatory medications may be affecting your blood pressure. More studies must be done before any conclusive correlations are made, but the possibility seems to be real.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

MARYCAIN
11-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Has you doctor recommended medicine other than NSAIDS for your lupus? Many rheumatologists use plaquenil as a first-line treatment for lupus because it appears to reduce the chances of the disease progressing, as well as improving fatigue and joint pain in many patients. Other treatments are available for patients who don't respond to plaquenil. You didn't mention whether your lupus is being managed by a rheumatologist? If you continue to have problems with your blood pressure, referral to someone who specializes in managing hypertension would be a good idea.

A healthy diet can be very important in managing high blood pressure - the DASH diet (dietary approaches to stop hypertension) is a dietary program developed by doctors and nutrionists, whhich can help many people lower their blood pressure to a safer level. If your blood pressure is extremely high, diet alone may not control it, but may help you reduce medication. The DASH diet emphasizes whole-grain foods, limiting salt and caffeine intake, eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products like yogurt, and also eating heart-healthy nuts, seeds, and beans (legumes). Your doctor can refer you to a nutrionist who can help you tailor a plan that fits your needs and food tastes.

People with high blood pressure need to be careful in general about their intake of salt/sodium, and also caffeine, which can raise blood pressure in some people. You also need to be careful about over-the-counter cold and allergy medicines that contain decongestants which can raise blood pressure. Many diet products and energy drinks also contain stimulants which can raise blood pressure. Some prescription medications can also raise blood pressure, so you should always let your pharmacist know about your medical history.

I hope you are feeling better! :)