PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Veterans!

Razzleberry
11-11-2006, 07:34 AM
I know this is nothing to do with Lupus but as the mom of a Marine ...and a very handsome brave one at that :-) ....I'm like to thank any and all service members out there for their sacrifices and I want to tell you that I for one am very proud of all you do for us each day! So on this Veterans Day 2006 THANK YOU!!!

MARYCAIN
11-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Absolutely! They are heroes.

KayCee31614
11-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Yes today is Vetrans Day. I posted a site to send our service members serving in Iraq and Afghanistan a thank you card. My husband retired from the military and I served 5 years on active duty and 6 years in the reserves before Lupus forced me out. My son served a tour in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne unit. I know that our service members would love a thank you card from all of us. Here is a site that I found where you can send them a card to say thank you. http://www.letssaythanks.com/.

Hugs,
Kathleen

MARYCAIN
11-11-2006, 10:54 AM
As part of our christmas celebration, my husband and I take the money we would spend on gifts for each other and donate to charities of the other's choice. There are many organizations that support the military overseas and at home, including helping military families in need, providing PX gift certificates and care packages to soldiers who don't have family to send them things, and providing phone cards through Operation Uplink. If you are an animal lover, fostering a military pet is a great way to help. You can find information about many different programs at American Supports You - www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/help.html

psalm 56 3
11-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Today I spent the day with an old veteran. He served in the Korean and Vietnam war. His goes by Parker and he is my father in law. We do not see him very often and he is getting old. So this time when he asked me if I would come along with him to the turkey shoot I did not refuse. Keep in mind the turkeys we shot were in the form of paper! No sooner did I arrive I heard my name called out. My husband pointed and said, "Go with dad." To say I was shocked was to put it mildly. All these expert shooters standing around holding their large guns waiting for me to compose myself and face that target.

I was in complete fear, I just knew for sure I would hit the target of my opponent and not mine. I gently squeezed that trigger just as I had been instructed to do. Darn near took my fingernail off and no one told me it would knock me off my feet. I did manage to hit my target, I had two little holes on my paper. Of course they were no where near the turkey but they were on there just the same. Parker was determined to see his daughter in law win a shoot, so with his encouragement I pressed on. The second time I shot I actually got closer and many hits were on that paper. Parker smiled with pride. I heard my name called and stepped up once again. Listening to all Parkers instructions, I hit a bulls eye!! So on 11/23/2006 we will be dining on a fine 23 lb turkey.

The highlight of the day was looking into those baby blue eyes of a man I so admire. To listen to the others talking about what a great guy he is. Women coming up to me telling me they won their first shoot because Parker lent them his gun and taught them how to use it. Watching my husband beam with pride when his daddy beat out the rest and doing it with an old shot gun he has had for years. You cannot put a price on that. I know we will not have him around much longer, he has a leaky heart valve and many other conditions, but I just stood there looking at that man and thinking about the wars he has fought. How he and many others like him were there for all of us. So its to these brave men and women I salute you! Happy Veterans Day
Oh and I carry the bruise on my shoulder with pride :D

Razzleberry
11-11-2006, 06:06 PM
In Flanders Field the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place,
And in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scare heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.
Short days ago we lived
Felt dawn, saw sunset's glow
Loved and were loved,
And now we lie in Flanders Field.
Take up our battle with our foe.
To you with trembling hands we throw
The torch.

Lest we forget!

MARYCAIN
11-11-2006, 07:06 PM
We Shall Keep the Faith

Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
Sleep sweet - to rise anew!
We caught the torch you threw
And holding high, we keep the Faith
With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led;
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields.

Razzleberry
11-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Marycain that is beautiful :!:

littlered
11-12-2006, 10:32 AM
WOW MaryCain, I-am-impressed!!!! Do you do a lot of this style of writing? As a fellow writer, I must know! :shock: :shock:

MARYCAIN
11-12-2006, 12:20 PM
I am not the author of the second poem - I wish I knew who was. Our local VFW prints both these poems on a pretty card that is included with the Buddy Poppies, to explain the significance of the red poppies. So I thought the two poems needed to go together on the forum posting too.

The poem posted by Mrs. Murdena is called "In Flanders Field". It was written by a Canadian surgeon and officer named John MaCrae, in 1915, after one of the most terrible battles of the First World War, the Second Battle of Ypres, in Belgium, an area often known as Flanders. For seventeen days and nights, Allied soldiers held the line against an overwhelming German force although hundreds of Canadian soldiers died from poison gas attacks and artillery wounds. On the day before he wrote the poem, one of McCrae's close friends was killed in the fighting - McCrae had to perform the burial service because the chaplain had been killed. There were no markers or gravestones or flowers, only makeshift wooden crosses and wild red poppies gathered from the ditches and scattered across the graves. McCrae wrote the poem on a piece of paper which he then threw away. Another officer found the poem and sent it to England, where it was published in a magazine, and became one of the most famous war poems ever written. It is engraved on many war memorials, and on McCrae's own tombstone. It has inspired many response poems, including the one I quoted, and several songs, including a ballad called "Flanders" sung by Andy Stewart, the Irish folksinger.

And littlered - I do write - poetry, music and short stories although I'm definitely not a professional - it's strictly for my own enjoyment, and stories for the kids. I teach a legal writing course for the associate attorneys at our law firm, but it is definitely not fun! It's more like an exercise in slow torture - as a teacher yourself, you know how hard it is to teach someone how to condense fifty pages of gibberish into something readable. And it seems more and more people are graduating from college and law school unable to write at all, so I often have to go back and teach the basics.

MARYCAIN
11-12-2006, 12:30 PM
It is awesome that you were able to win the turkey shoot with your father-in-law's help. He sounds like an incredible man. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun, so I'm doubly impressed! I hope your shoulder isn't totally black and blue - the recoil can do some damage! Enjoy the turkey - you certainly earned it! :)

psalm 56 3
11-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Parker really is a great man. I used to think there was no way I would hit my target let alone win. Never say never! I have a huge bruise and I don't care. It was worth it just to see that man smile.

psalm 56 3
11-12-2006, 02:53 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/parkert_2006/VeteransDaywithGeorge012.jpg
The winning shot. Notice he is holding the gun...lol

Razzleberry
11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Very cool picture, Psalm :-)

psalm 56 3
11-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks MrsMurdena. My husband took it right when I fired. I did have my left hand on that gun, but the kick back took it off. I can only imagine where the gun would have landed had Parker not been holding it for me. He called me yesterday to see if I would go back out there Saturday. He is getting a pad put on that gun. As much as I want to say no, I can't. So I am going to try and get my kids involved and maybe we can take turns. Wish some of you were around, I would share the spoils....

stjames13
11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
8)
AS A VETERAN WHO SERVED WITH THE 3rd MARINES DIVISION
2 MEDICAL BATTALION in VIET NAM I would like that THANK all of you for the KIND words and beautifull poems you all have posted on this thread.

This has actually brought a tear to my eyes and a lump in my throat.

Sadly while serving in NAMN my job was to be the MARINE who protected a medic....so I saw my share and more of kids getting killed and mutilated.

It was not an easy job to wrap up a young man and put his body in a blue plastic bag and send him home to his parents.

They sent their child to the service inhope he would return a man and return safely yet thousand returned in bags..... :( :( :( :( :( :(

The only good part of my job was knowing that once we sent these kids home they would NEVER have to do what we did again and there days and nights of fear were over.
WAR IS NEVER THE WAY TO RESOLVE ANYTHING !!!!

Even thoseof us who did come home still hurt from the wounds wether they be physical or mental they are permanant.....yet we did what we did with HONOR and INTEGRITY and always knowing that those back home thought highly of us......
THAT was the BIGGEST TRAGEDY OF ALL about VIET NAM the way we were treated upon our return home.

BECAUSE of that some of us will never forget the betrayal we got from the same people were thought we were protecting.
The citizens of the USA.

It was THE FIRST WAR that the VETERANS were looked at with HATE and called nasty names and it HURT in ways you will never understand.
SO please do not do that to anyone who wears that uniform for they are willing to give there life for you !!!!...and one day they may be oneof your children.

THANK YOU FOR THE BEAUTIFULLWORDS AND POEMS AND FOR REMEMBERING US ON THE ONE DAY WE REMEMBER ALL VETERANS THOSE WHO SURVIVED AND THOSE WHO PASSED....I SALUTE YOU ALL.

STJAMES
USMC RETIRED :cry:

psalm 56 3
11-16-2006, 09:14 AM
stjames13
Please allow me to personally thank you for your efforts in the war. The Vietnam war was a difficult one for our Vets. Parker rarely ever speaks of that war, but when he does we are all spellbound. I know to this day he carries a lot of scars from it. There are some things about it he will not discuss. When he does talk about it you can see the pain in his eyes and we know he will carry it to his grave.

On the night of 11/08/2006 my husband was flipping through the channels and they were airing a segment about a Vietnam Vet. named Wes Harvey. We could not take our eyes off the screen, it was so compelling! It may sound silly, but I cried. Listening to his trials I could not help but think of all the others out there just like him. It made me wish I could personally thank every veteran myself. I could not reach out to all Veterans, but we did have one in the family I knew I could. That is why I went to the turkey shoot. To pay tribute to him and all the others just like him.

Our local paper carried a piece called Echoes of War. No doubt you have probably heard of it. If you have not I have copied the following link:
http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=114214&ran=156807

MARYCAIN
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
It is a shame that so many of our veterans were abandoned by their country. Sadly the legacy seems to be repeating itself with the men returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, some unable to find work, and so many turning to drugs and alcohol to forget what they have seen. Just in our small county, there have been five suicides among returning Iraqi veterans. These men are casualties of war just as surely as if they had been killed by a bullet or an IED, but there is no gold star for the families and no military honors for their caskets. The VA is so overwhelmed by the physically wounded soldiers - they don't have time to reach out to the soldiers whose wounds are on the inside, but just as deep. Our local veterans assistance center tries to help but too often people slip through the cracks.

I play with a celtic group - we have added the Mark Bishop song "Let the Angels Take the Fallen" and now we close many sets with it. But the next time we sing it, it will be dedicated to the memory of the forgotten heroes of Vietnam.

LET THE ANGELS TAKE THE FALLEN

Through the river, through the forest.
Eighteen-hundred and sixty-four,
Marched a young man off to battle,
Old enough to join the war.
When the morning mist has settled
Let the generals count the cost.
Let the sergeants write the letters
To the mothers of the lost.

Let the angels take the fallen
Take the ones who heard the call.
Take the fathers and the brothers
To the One who died for all.

Cold the wind and loud the engines
Nineteen-hundred and forty-three.
Hear the prayers of the soldier
O'er the skies of Germany.
There's a farm in West Virginia
Where the corn is tall and green.
There's a mother who awakens
From the vision she has seen.

Let the angels take the fallen
Take the fathers and the brothers
To the One who died for all.

There's a mother and her daughter,
Mid-November of ninety-four,
In a cold two-room apartment
Just above the grocery store.
And she soothes her daughter's fever
With the lullaby she sings.
One last kiss before the morning
And the sound of angels' wings.

The skies are gray as people gather
On a hill just out of town.
In the shadow of three crosses
A drop of blood falls to the ground.
Let the angels take the fallen.
Take the Son back to His Father.
He's the One who died for all.

Saysusie
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
MARYCAIN :lol:
That was absolutely beautiful and I can just hear it with a celtic melody!!
Thank you for sharing....the words are so poignant...need I say more??

ALways
Saysusie

Razzleberry
11-16-2006, 03:30 PM
St. James: As the mom of a Marine who served as a body bearer for almost 3 years I hear what you're saying about the horrors of putting young men (children really) into body bags and shipping them home. My son is one of the many special (in my mind anyway) Marines who met them in Dover and took them to their families. He said it was the hardest thing he has EVER done. So thank you St. James for your service and your sacrifices. I make it a point (and I wish every would too) to always thank service members wherever I may see them. It means so much to them.

Marycain: That song is simply beautiful. Thank you so much.

stjames13
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
8)
Thanks to all of you who look at our VETERANS WITH HONOR AND THANKS.

The kind words written specifically to me have touched me in ways you will never know so it is difficult for me to express how much I appreciate them....just let it be known that all the LIES you heard of us who were on GRAVEYARD REGISTRATION NEVER EVER EVER EVER woud disgrace that poor child inside that bag nor his porr family by disrespecting them by puttingdrugs inthere and smuggeling them back to the US.

THAT WAS A TERRIBLE HURTFULL LIE some moron started and was not true.

WE cried for each MAN that we bagged, we treated with him with the utmost HONOR AND RESPECT and we prayed for his family.

Personally if it was someone whomwe knew or were there when that person's demise came we would even put in short letters to the family saying how there son had died in HONOR and in the act of HEROISM

Thank you again for the BEAUTIFULL WORDS AND for that BEAUTIFULL SONG.

MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU ALL

LOVE YA

ST JAMES :wink:
USMC retired

stjames13
12-16-2006, 11:43 AM
8) PSALM 56 3

Thank you kindly for the link...I have seen it but it gives special meaning to it when someone sends it to you and I THANK YOU !!!!

The ONLY words we all wanted to hear when we arrived back from being in country was WELCOME HOME and THANK YOU....but those words were never spoken to the vets of VIET NAMN, though oddly those who died and came home from KOREA andother war and THE FIRST war we lost and retreated still came home to a HERO"S WELCOME

The horror's of VIET NAMN will remain with each one of us who served there, the idea that people now want to go there on VACATION SICKENS me, for even today there ARE Still POW camps in CAMBODIA and NAMN and STILL a USA AMBASSADOR ho is respsible for the finding of those camps wel;l if it wasn;t that hard for a platoon of 12 men to find em why is it so hard with today's technology for our GOVERNMENT to find em???

Because they too want to forget the whole thing...well a child of 18 os NOT a THING he is somones BABY, somones FATHER, someone's boyfriend.
OUR GOVERNMENT should hang it's head in shame of how it treats ALL VETERANS .
If any of you ever saw the insdies of a VA hospital you would NOT take you DOG there for treatment.

Someone mentioned watching a show on Vietnam...what that show did not and can not express is the SMELL OF DEATH that lingered in our noses for 13 months while in country and every now and then it comes back PLEASE do NOT go see these movies that claim to portray what Viet Namn was really about.

We know we los over 55,000 BOYS KIA but did you also know that over 100,000 have comitted suicide???
And another 100,00 are homless,jobless and by now mindless....maybe it is they who are the lucky ones for they have BLOCKED the horror ,tragedy and RELUCTANCE of our GOVERNMENT to allow us to win that war, WHY???? BECAUSE the USA was afraid of KOREA and THE RED CHINESE getting involved and causing a 3rd WORLD WAR.

To that I say BULL S****....since then we have attacked GRANADA, and lost now two time in IRAQ, are losing in AFGHANISTAN and are losing allies all over the world.

IF OUR GOVERNMENT IS AFRAID TO FIGHT A WAR TO WIN IT THEN DO NOT SEND OUR CHILDREN TO LOSE IT WITH THERE LIVES.
FOR YOU WHO CALL YOURSELF OUR LEADERS CAN EASILY LOSE IT ON THE BARGAINING TABLES NOT WITH USA BLOOD !!!!!!

OUR GOVERNMENT is losing the war in IRAQ now because we have a spineless PRESIDENT, who not only did NOT do his DUTY when he was able an acitve , but who lies tothe AMERICAN citizens about WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION and NOW wants us to send more kids to fight there CIVIL WAR.

WE had our own CIVIL WAR hundreds of years ago and we still bleed from that....
Why this PRESIDENT has not been IMPEACHED for his out right LIES to the AMERICAN"S he swore to protect and serve I have no idea.......

Yet we spent 45 MILLION DOLLARS on making the DEMOCRATS look foolish by ATTEMPTING TO IMPEACH ONE OF THE BEST PRESIDENTS THIS COUTRY HAS EVER HAD, yet they knew they did not have the VOTES to impeach him but to make the DEMS look stoopid., but they still used our money for POLITICAL REASONS, while people go homeless, SS dwindle's away and we continue to pick fights with other countries......

ALL OF THIS MAKES MY HEAD HURT...and my heart cry :( :cry: :( :cry:

STJAMES :(

MARYCAIN
12-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Amen!!! It makes me furious when the White House spends our tax money on Christmas videos of Barney the dog and $8,000 designer gowns for Laura Bush when soldiers are dying or being brain-injured in Iraq and Afghanistan because the government is too cheap to buy them decent helmet upgrade kits to protect them from roadside bombs. That $8,000 Mrs. Bush spent on a dress she didn't even wear could have provided food and blankets for some of the homeless in Washington. What is happening in Washington these days goes beyond immoral - it's downright criminal. I just hope the Democrats develop a backbone and stand up to the president and his cronies - I guess we will have to wait and see if they make real changes or just play politics as usual.

psalm 56 3
12-18-2006, 05:06 PM
stjames13
You are more than welcome! I was just a teenager when the war was going on but I remember how our Veterans were treated. It made my heart sick. I wore one of those metal bracelets for years waiting for my guy to come home and he never did. I grew up in the military and know first hand that when the government tells you to go you go. That is why I could never understand the hostility towards them when they came home. I would have welcomed all with open arms as would my family.

I realize you still have a lot of pain. As I stated before there are things my father-in-law will not speak of to this day. That war and the others he fought stay with him everyday of his life. I thank God he has better medical care than they give at the VA. Our military does a lot for this country and I am proud of my city and the surrounding ones that often show special appreciation for the military. Busch Gardens will pick a day for the military and their families and give them free passes for the entire day. Golden Corral will feed all Veterans and military for free. There are many businesses that will do similar things to show their support.

I guess I take the military a little for granted especially living in "Military Town" but I really do appreciate all past, present and future soldiers. They are the ones who make this country safe! I pray your heart will heal and some how some way our country will try and get it together. I hate to say this, but I am to the point where I have no faith in our government or the politics. It seems to me they talk a good talk until they are voted in office. In no time all seem to show their true colors. I think politicians do what is in their own best interest and not ours.

psalm 56 3
12-20-2006, 11:47 AM
This was sent to me and I felt such a need to share....

A Different Christmas Poem

The embers glowed softly, and in their dim light,
I gazed round the room and I cherished the sight.
My wife was asleep, her head on my chest,
My daughter beside me, angelic in rest.
Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white,
Transforming the yard to a winter delight.
The sparkling lights in the tree I believe,
Completed the magic that was Christmas Eve.
My eyelids were heavy, my breathing was deep,
Secure and surrounded by love I would sleep.
In perfect contentment, or so it would seem,
So I slumbered, perhaps I started to dream.

The sound wasn't loud, and it wasn't too near,
But I opened my eyes when it tickled my ear.
Perhaps just a cough, I didn't quite know, Then the
sure sound of footsteps outside in the snow.
My soul gave a tremble, I struggled to hear,
And I crept to the door just to see who was near.
Standing out in the cold and the dark of the n ight,
A lone figure stood, his face weary and tight.

A soldier, I puzzled, some twenty years old,
Perhaps a Marine, huddled here in the cold.
Alone in the dark, he looked up and smiled,
Standing watch over me, and my wife and my child.
"What are you doing?" I asked without fear,
"Come in this moment, it's freezing out here!
Put down your pack, brush the snow from your sleeve,
You should be at home on a cold Christmas Eve!"

For barely a moment I saw his eyes shift,
Away from the cold and the snow blown in drifts..
To the window that danced with a warm fire's light
Then he sighed and he said "Its really all right,
I'm out here by choice. I'm here every night." "It's my duty to stand
at the front of the line,
That separates you from the darkest of times.
No one had to ask or beg or implore me,
I'm proud to stand here like my fathers before me.
My Gramps died at 'Pearl on a day in December,"
Then he sighed, "Tha t's a Christmas 'Gram always remembers."
My dad stood his watch in the jungles of 'Nam',
And now it is my turn and so, here I am.
I've not seen my own son in more than a while,
But my wife sends me pictures, he's sure got her smile.

Then he bent and he carefully pulled from his bag, The red, white, and blue... an American flag.
I can live through the cold and the being alone,
Away from my family, my house and my home.
I can stand at my post through the rain and the sleet,
I can sleep in a foxhole with little to eat.
I can carry the weight of killing another,
Or lay down my life with my sister and brother..
Who stand at the front against any and all,
To ensure for all time that this flag will not fall."

"So go back inside," he said, "harbor no fright,
Your family is waiting and I'll be all right."
"But isn't there something I can do, at the least,
"Give you money," I asked, "or prepare you a feast?
It seems all too little for all that you've done,
For being away from your wife and your son."
Then his eye welled a tear that held no regret,
"Just tell us you love us, and never forget.
To fight for our rights back at home while we're gone,
To stand your own watch, no matter how long.
For when we come home, either standing or dead,
To know you remember we fought and we bled.
Is payment enough, and with that we will trust,
That we mattered to you as you mattered to us."

PLEASE, Would you do me the kind favor of sending this to as many
people as you can? Christmas will be coming soon and some credit is
due to our U.S.service men and women for our being able to celebrate these
festivities. Let's try in this small way to pay a tiny bit of what we owe.
Make people stop and think of our heroes, living and dead, who sacrificed
themselves for us.

LCDR Jeff Giles, SC, USN
30th Naval Construction Regiment
OIC, Logistics Cell One
Al Taqqadum, Iraq

MARYCAIN
12-20-2006, 12:35 PM
That was beautiful and brought me to tears. I will print it out and enclose it in the New Years packages for my nephew and other military family.

stjames13
12-21-2006, 12:14 PM
:(
OH MAN THAT JUST GOT ME.........

EVERY CHRISTMAS AND MEMORIAL DAY AND VETERANS DAY all I can think about is THOSE WE LEFT BEHIND....and DID I DO ALL COULD TO HELP THOSE I HELPED????

In a way it's a nightmare in a way it's nice to now that my FELLOW BOTHERS who we stood foot to foot in BLOOD still watch over me while I sleep....

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THAT !!!!!

STJAMES
USMC RETIRED

psalm 56 3
12-21-2006, 12:31 PM
I think it is safe to say that we love all our men and women in uniform. I appreciate them much more now than ever. With so many in our area it is difficult when one dies. We lost one in my city a few months back and it was felt by many. Several soldiers from neighboring cities have died as well. We do all we can to take care of and give financial support to their loved ones. Especially those with small children. I have a girlfriend whose husband works for Wal-Mart. He will collect crates of goods for the military in Iraq and another woman puts together care packages for them. The post office has even gotten involved in giving discounted shipping rates. See, we love ALL of you and appreciate all that has been done for us past and present! Rest easy StJames and have a blessed holiday, your back is covered!

MARYCAIN
12-21-2006, 12:47 PM
You are not the one who left them behind - that guilt belongs to our government. You have enough burdens without taking that weight on your shoulders. You did your duty with courage, dignity, and honor. Do not feel guilty because you survived!!! Even though those boys and men were forgotten by the world, God remembered each and every one of them.

MARYCAIN
12-21-2006, 01:07 PM
The soldier stood and faced his God
Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, you soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
The soldier squared his shoulders and
said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep...
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here,
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God,
"Step forward now, you soldier,
You've borne your burdens well,
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."

To all that serve ...

peach224
12-21-2006, 01:52 PM
I have been watching this thread and not commenting, because this is such an emotional subject for me. As the proud daughter and niece of several military men and the proud wife of a current active duty navy man, this subject hits very close to home.

Thank you all for the lovely poems, for the passionate sentiments and words of enouragement. Thank you Marycain for the great flowing words. Thank you St. James for so eloquently stating some of the great horrors you witnessed and hopefully helping people to see that it's not always what people think.

This is so hard for me because my husband has already been to the Middle East and is going to be sent again in the spring to Balad, Iraq, for six to seven months. I am so torn and frustrated by the current state of affairs and by the government and the president's constant pushing of issues I feel we have no business being involved in. I support my husband and the men and women who work and fight beside him 100%. At this time of year, my heart cries for those who are away from their families and for those families left here to try to struggle on without their loved ones. I have been there, many times in 15 years.

All I request from my friends at this time is that when you are bowing your heads this Christmas, that you send a thought and prayer out for our troops, who are doing their job, defending our right to be free and doing what they are asked, despite the sacrifice and cost.

Thanks.

Jennifer Elliott, proud wife of
Matthew Elliott, Equipment Operator First Class
Naval Mobile Construction Battalion Four

MARYCAIN
12-21-2006, 02:21 PM
I say that prayer each and every day. I will add a special prayer for your husband and your family. I think sometimes we forget the sacrifices made by the military families are just as heavy, maybe more so, because all they can is wait and pray and watch for our loved ones to come home again.

psalm 56 3
12-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I have been a Republican all my life. I always felt they took a strong moral stand and made Christians feel they were looking out for them. The military families we know were all Republicans as well. There take was the Republicans allocate more funds for military spending whereas the Democrats cut military spending. Keep in mind there is a huge military force here. From what I have been told we have the largest Military Instillation in the world here in Virginia. Our last election for Governor I stayed home. I can no longer back the Republican Party and this is so sad to me. Even the military is changing their tone so I am not alone in this.

I understand politics is a very touchy subject, but I am disillusioned with the entire Government Body! They may have good intentions post- election, but once they are in office it is a different story. We took a group of Senior students to Richmond and let them sit in on the Senate. They got a very good lesson that day. What they heard were Senators saying, "You vote yes on this bill and I will vote yes on yours". The "Good Ole Boy" system is very healthy. Our students were astonished at the things they were hearing. I am disappointed with the Bush administration. Our country is in such a mess. I am not saying Bush is to blame for everything. I hold the entire Government body responsible for it. I can only pray the next President will do a better job, and the Senate will look more to helping its constituents instead of themselves. I'll get off my soap box now, but rest assure I pray for every Soldier out there and their families along with my Country!

stjames13
12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
PSALM,
SADLY , The people we elect whether they be DEMOCRATS OR REPUBLICANS no longer remember that they are there to VOTE what their CONSTIUENTS WANT. They vote what is good for them.

How they can sleep while voting themselves a healthy 15% raise when they are forcing MILLIONS of retirees to pay for a PART D in MEDICARE, making parents send their sons,husbands, and daughters better FLACK JACKETS AND HELEMTS and watching while thousand that worked at ENRON retirment fall apart while our own PRESIDENT made 24 MILLION 4 weeks prior to the ENRON SELL OUT and our VP made 45 Million on the same deal only he waited an extra week and made a few more bucks but MARTHA STEWART goes to jail because her investment manager told her to sell a certain stock and she made 40,000.00....
IT"S ALL INSIDE INFORMATION !!!!
Yet MR.CHENEY thinks he is invincible and still makes BILLIONS from his shares in HALIBURTON and ensures that the re-building contracts go to HALIBURTON......soon he'll be so rich he too will meet his maker and I hope he chokes on his money as it is ALL DIRTY MONEY !!!!

THANK GOD that the POLOTICIANS are now finally seeing that the USA resident is getting sick of BUSINESS as usual in GOVERNMENT, and that today's younger generation is NOW VOTING to preserve what we fought so hard for since DAY ONE OF THE USA !!!!!

PEACH.....I am so PROUD of you husband and of you for supporting him.
It's a very hard thing to do, watch as your loved one goes off to a WAR that is UN WINNABLE. WE went to IRAQ for ONE REASON and that reason turned out to be a LIE ,there were NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION and MR BUSH was doing NOTHING but trying to make his daddy proud of him.
Still on a daily basis OUR FIGHTING FORCE is now POLICING IRAQ,which
they are not here to do during there CIVIL WAR.
Your HUSBAND IS A TURE PATRIOT AND I SALUTE HIM FOR DOING HIS DUTY without asking questions....at least some of us STILL BELIEVE IN THE USA !!!!!! MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND ALL OUR TROOPS !!!!

What I really do not understand is How can we track MAD COW DISEASE down to ONE CERTAIN COW IN CANADA at ONE CERTAIN STABLE, yet we can not find out where over 10 MILLION ILLEGAL and WANTED IMMIGRANTS ARE IN THIS COUNTRY??????

Thank GOD our money still says IN GOD WE TRUST because I for one
certainly DO NOT trust those who are in GOVERNMENT....

STJAMES :mad:

littlered
12-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Let's all take the time during this blessed holiday to remember the troops and their wives who are spending Christmas without one another. I have read my mother's letter to my father their very first Christmas....apart, as he was training in England. It broke my heart. Let's pray that God sends them comfort, and brings them together SOON!

MARYCAIN
12-29-2006, 05:20 PM
With the execution of Saddam Hussein, if it goes forward tonight as planned, I really fear for our soldiers in Iraq and pray no one will choose to retaliate against them. Maybe Saddan's death will bring closure to the people in Iraq, but somehow I don't believe that will happen. I just hope our soldiers don't get caught in the crossfire any more than they already are.

peach224
12-29-2006, 06:45 PM
I am terrified of the backlash that this will bring for my friends that are over there and for their families who sit and watch, helpless, from here. I am so terribly torn. My husband says that all we can do is pray, and he is right, but I hate that feeling of not having control sometimes.

MARYCAIN
12-29-2006, 07:19 PM
I worry for all the soldiers, and the Iraqi civilians too - I believe most of them want the same things we do - peace, safety, a little security for their children. But there's so much violence now, I'm afraid it's gone beyond the point of no return. I have a cousin who's in the National Guard, a unit that's taken several casualties. I worry about her more than any of my other military friends or family because she's on convoy escort. I wonder sometimes how the President can sleep at night, sending kids to fight and die in Iraq and Afghanistan who aren't old enough to buy a drink legally in the United States.

littlered
12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
sometimes I think all the so-called leaders all ought to be forced to strip to the waist and wrestle to determine who's the "winner."but...on the other hand...ugh, I'm nauseaus enough without seeing them bare chested!

MARYCAIN
12-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Maybe we could just bring back duels between the leaders? Pistols or swords at forty paces - it makes as much sense as anything else. But I do think it ought to be "leaders first" - No President or Congress should be allowed to declare war unless they are serving right on the front lines - no sitting at home in comfort and safety and sending people to die in a country most of our Congress has never even seen. And if they have sons or daughters of military age, make them serve as well. I suspect Mr. Bush wouldn't have been as eager to invade Iraq if it meant sending his own daughters there to serve.

Missy
12-29-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree with Marycain - I think only those who have served in war times in congress should be able to vote for war (oh, wait, maybe no one would be able to vote then).

My concern is that no one making decisions for our tropps knows what its like to be in their shoes.......I know I don't, so I don't know how I could even pretend to understand. I just hope they all come home safely. And soon.

Saysusie
12-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Gone are the days when the leaders of nations would go out with their men to fight! Bush, his friends and his relatives continue to profit financially from this war and as long as they do, this war will continue. In spite of overwhelming evidence that we should not be there!!
As St. James pointed out, an uncle of George W. Bush is on the board of directors of Engineered Support Systems Inc. in St Louis. This company is a MAJOR military contractor After Bush was elected and after 9/11, the company has seen its federal contracts, revenues, and stock price greatly increase.
Engineered Support Systems receives contracts from all branches of the military. The Defense Department listed EASI in its top 100 contractors in 2001, with $330 million in contracts; and in 2002, with $380 million in contracts. Estimates for 2003 are over $380 million. Interestingly, part of what this company produces are "Field Deployable Environmental Control Units" (FDECUs) to deal with weapons of mass destruction. On Jan. 17, 2003, the company announced orders from the Air Force and the Marines for these units, complete with Nuclear Biological Chemical Kits, in preparation for secret arsenals of WMDs hidden, the White House claimed, by Saddam Hussein.
On May 1, Engineered Support Systems announced the acquisition of its Maryland subsidiary, TAMSCO, ironically, this happened on the same day President Bush made his televised flight-suit appearance to announce "mission accomplished" in Iraq! hmmmm The following week, TAMSCO announced that it had begun technology support for US Army logistics operations in the Middle East, stating that this tech support began linking the US, Kuwait and Germany in February 2003.
I could go on an on about this and other "Bush Affiliate" companies, but I think that it is safe to say that it is quite apparent that Bush planned all along to invade Iraq, but whatever his spoken motives to the nation may have, it is certain that this war benefits him, his family and friends.
I pray each night for the young men and women who are patriots and are caught up in this war for profit. I salute and support and honor each and every one of them and each and every one of our veterans, and all of the family members. You and they are what this country is truly all about!!! My prayers to all of you!!

Saysusie

Quarterhorsegal
12-30-2006, 10:37 AM
I support our military and our country. I know 'kids' serving in the military and Iraq right now. Yes, to me they are kids. People that I actually changed their diapers, taught them how to tie their shoes, held them when they cried, and celebrated with them during birthdays and holidays. I have watched them get married and and have children of their own. They are proud to be doing what they are for their country and feel they are where they should be. I have boys who will be of age to join this all volunteer military if they wish, and will support them in that decision if they do. I support what this country stands for, and that includes the right for everyone to have their own opinion. Just for the record, I do not agree with the tone of much that is in this thread. Thank God that we are a nation with the right to disagree. God Bless our Troops and all they do. God Bless their families and the sacrifices they make. God Bless you All.

MARYCAIN
12-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Regardless of how any of us feel about the war or the political situation in Washington, I think we all agree that we have the greatest military in the world, and we respect, support and honor them no matter what.

Saysusie
12-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes, I have the utmost respect and admiration for all of our military personnell. They are truly the backbone of our nation..always have been, always shall be!! I honor them and pray for them daily!!
I hate war. I wish that I was intelligent enough to understand its necessity. But, alas, I am not. So, all that I can do is to support and honor those who serve and their families!!!

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie