PDA

View Full Version : Plaquenil did not work starting chemotherapy

TMWeaver
10-28-2003, 08:51 PM
My doctor advised me today that I have not responded to the plaquenil so my next step is chemo. I am not looking forward to the side affects. Has anyone been on Methotrexate? Does it work?

:cry:

muriate
10-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Hello,
I am on plaquenil. But a friend of mine has been on methotrexate for years. It has worked for her. She has had little of side effects. Here is some info I found on it.

The most common side effect of methotrexate is nausea. The nausea from methotrexate use often disappears on its own though and may be controlled by lowering the dose or spreading the dose out.

The drug can cause hidden problems too and tests are done to monitor whether or not these problems are occurring. Complete blood counts are done since methotrexate can suppress the production of new blood cells and lead to severe forms of anemia. Liver-chemistry profiles are done to watch for possible effects on the liver. Liver damage is among the worst potential problems since once the damage is done it is irreversible. Since most serious damage to the liver is not revealed in a blood test, a liver biopsy may be recommended periodically.

Another potential threat from methotrexate use is lung disease. Dry cough accompanied by fever and shortness of breath could indicate such a problem. Some people who use methotrexate develop sores on their skin and inside their mouths. These are signs of a toxic reaction to the drug and its use may need to be discontinued.

Wish you the best,
Write if you need anything
Muriate

JenHa55
12-26-2003, 10:45 PM
After my most recent hospital visit, they have decided to put me on chemo as well (aka methotrexate). I'm pretty new at this one drug as well. Let me know how it goes and I will do the same. Some people I know have side effects from it but better then Prednisone is what I hear. We'll see...

Best of luck to you. Sending you good thoughts.

tinajee
12-26-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi I am on Methatrexate now and the nausea was bad at first but after being on it for a while your body kinda gets use to it and it's not so bad. But with me the medicine has still not put me in remission. I have been on both Plaquenil and Methatrexate for about a year now and no remission yet. So I pray you have better luck than me. Good news the factor of losing hair on it is not that bad either. And always remember it will grow back. Good luck!!!!!!!

annette
03-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,has anyone been on cellcept? My docter wants me to go on this new drug.I have had Lupus (Diffuse Proliferative Glumorulinephritis) for 16years.And have been on prednisone and plaquneil for 16years as well.But my Nephrologist say i need for drugs to keep my lupus in remission. Thanks

Love,
Annette