PDA

View Full Version : IM TOO YOUNG FOR THIS!

ejrifkin
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
i feel like an 80 year old woman!! ahhh!
i am looking for anyone else who understands the confusion and frustration of dealing with lupus at a young age. im only 18, but its been 4 or 5 years. i think im too young for steroids (no prednazone for me) but too young to feel this old! the only person i know with lupus is in her 70s...is there anyone else here around my age? i just want someone to relate to
dealing with college and parties and swollen hands--trying to find the balance

MARYCAIN
11-01-2006, 02:04 PM
There are several people on the forum who were diagnosed around puberty - I think some of them are around your age or a little older. You might send a private message to butterflyrn - I know she was diagnosed when she was eleven.

I hope you are able to find some help and some answers soon.

Saysusie
11-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi Ejrifkin;
As Marycain has pointed out, there are several members here who were diagnosed at a young age like you. My daughter was diagnosed at age 17 and, like you, had to go to college with severely active Lupus. So, I can understand how you are feeling after going through it with my daughter.
I know this will not be much of a comfort to you, but your age is the most common age for young women to be diagnosed with Lupus. It generally affects women in child-bearing age (no one knows exactly why yet!)
You are, by no means, alone. I know you must feel that way now. Especially with not having anyone your age to talk to who also has Lupus. You will always find someone here who will understand you and who will talk to you to help you and to comfort you. We want you to know that you are not alone!!

I wish you the very best
Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

lupusgirlstefanie
11-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi Hi Ejrifkin

My name is stefanie and i'm 22 yrs old I know exactly what you mean I was ranting and raving about that very thing to my parents yesterday, I feel like a 90 yr old women trapped in a 22 yr old body and I HATE IT!

LUPUS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to pm me anytime and if you have msn please do add me i'm always on it so we can chat anytime.

take care

msn email address: stefanie_4eva@hotmail.com

kbergin16
11-02-2006, 11:38 AM
hey i totally feel your pain. i'm almost 21 and i'm a junior in college. it definitely sucks and no one really understands. people always think i'm overexaggerating, but unless the pain is visible to them, they don't see it. i think the hardest part is not partying as much as everyone else. it's a constant struggle for me, i'm trying not to drink but i find it very difficult. i too resisted prednisone for awhile, but now i'm on it. but my doctor wants me to go on methatextrate, which i refuse to do. if you need help, or just want to talk, you can always message me. good luck!

ButterflyRN
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi ejrifkin! I've lived with lupus since age 11. I understand your frustrations. I'm 27 now and living with this disease at any age only makes you a stronger person so remember that. Just wondering why do you think you are too young for steroids? I've been on them since I was diagnosed. I understand your frustration too of being young and feeling so old. Feel free to PM me anytime or just post.
Butterfly :D

ejrifkin
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks for all your responses everyone :)