PDA

View Full Version : Question for MaryCain......Re:Food Poising

lupusgirlstefanie
10-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi This is a question for MaryCain

I read the post about the kitty litter and although I don't have any pets (mom hates animals lol) I thought that was a great post cause when I move out I wanted to get a cat.

But my question is you mentionded something about food poising and ilnesses and I just wanted some info on that my doc never mentioned anything about food or pets.

Thanks MaryCain

MARYCAIN
10-30-2006, 03:05 PM
People whose immune systems don't function well, which includes most lupus patients, have to be careful about food-borne illnesses. Many of these illnesses will just make you really sick but some of them can be life-threatening. So we have to pay extra attention when we eat, especially when eating out.

As a general rule, you need to stay away from anything made with raw (unpastuerized) milk, and anything with uncooked eggs or egg substitutes (like cake batter). Milk, cheese, and yogurt that are pasteurized (heated at very high heat to kill bacteria) are usually safe - stay away from farmer's cheese because it is unpasteurized. Soft serve yogurt, soft serve ice cream, and fountain soda drinks can all be "iffy" beause you don't know if the machine has been cleaned recently. Some dressings and sauces (like Caesar and Hollandaise) are made with raw eggs, so ask about this in restaurants. Raw honey contains botulism spores, so you should never eat it.

Some cheeses contain mold spores that can be dangerous for us - it's best to avoid soft cheeses like Brie or camembert, or "blue vein" cheeses like Stilton and blue cheese. Processed American and other cheese slices are pasteurized so they are okay.

All meats need to be cooked all the way through to at least 160 degrees to kill any bacteria or parasites - this is especially important for pork, chicken and any ground meats. You can't always tell by browning, so it's best to check with a meat thermometer when in doubt, Use different cutting boards for raw and cooked foods so you don't cross contaminate them, and disinfect your food prep area with bleach and water. Almost all chicken contains salmonella so handle raw chicken carefully and wash your hands afterward. Thaw frozen meat in the fridge, not on the counter, and freeze or refrigerate left-overs right away. Remember that foods at room temperature can breed bacteria, so reheat any leftovers until steaming hot. Mayo and egg based products will spoil quickly so be extra careful with them.

Also be careful of eating out in places like delis and buffets where you aren't sure how long the food has been sitting out, and don't hesitate to ask questions or send something back if it's undercooked. You should also be careful about salad bars, and avoid any raw sprouts. Washing all your fruits and vegetables will also help. Also remember that "smoked" meats and fish are not the same thing as cooked, so you should avoid things like smoked salmon.

I know this seems like a long list, but a lot of this is just basic food safety and a little extra caution. It doesn't mean you shouldn't eat out, just be careful.Hope this helps.

B

lupusgirlstefanie
10-30-2006, 05:16 PM
thank you so much, i was never told this by my doctor, most of it you are right it just being careful and comon sense but some of it I didn't know.

Thank you so much