PDA

View Full Version : Lupe from NYC

kbergin16
10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm Kelly, I'm 20 and I go to school in NYC but I'm from the Jersey shore (though I call it the beach!). I've had lupus for about 6 years now, and I take Plaquenil (on a lower dose now because of eye toxicity), and I just started prednisone at 10mgs. I'm kind of nervous about this but it's better than the alternative, which was methotextrate. I also have a primary immuno deficiency which has kept me in and out of hospitals since I was 1, so I'm used to this whole sick thing. I love to surf, laugh, hang out, shop and go out (when I can and in moderation). Everyone tells me not to drink but I think NOT drinking is my hardest battle because I'm in college and everyone is partying around me. I'm funny and would love to work in medicine one day helping kids like people helped me. Glad to be part of this group--took me six years to realize it might be good to talk to other people.

MARYCAIN
10-29-2006, 06:15 AM
I hope you find this forum a warm, welcoming place. There are several members who are also in college, so I'm sure they understand what it's like to juggle your life and your disease. Luckily in a big city you get access to first-class medical care - with your immune deficiency I'm sure you've had a lot of experience with the medical system. I hope the prednisone improves your situation.

It's important not to drink while on prednisone - the two are a bad combination, because alcohol can increase the risk of side effects, especially stomach problems, So stick with the non-alcoholic drinks for a while, okay? It's better for your health and probably better for your grade point average too.

I'm sure some of the college age crew will be posting to welcome you.