PDA

View Full Version : Kind of scared...need some advice

AndyD
10-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Hello, I'm just a little nervous so would appreciate some advice if anyone's around now. I'm suddenly having lower right abdominal pain and it's become really severe. I've had this before but not as bad and gone to emergency worried that it was appendicitis but it's never been that so I don't want to waste another trip for that same result. It's considerably worse this time though, so I'm not sure what to do. It's hard to stand up straight cause it hurts. I've been told though on other visits that there are glands or lymph nodes or something around your appendix that can swell in some cases and cause syptoms similar to appendicitis and knowing that us lupies tend to get swollen glands as a symptom I'm thinking that might be it again. Don't know what to do, safest is probably go get checked, but I hate going there, they're starting to think I'm a hypochondriac I think...oh well, we'll see what happens I think. Thanks for your help.

Andy

lupusgirlstefanie
10-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Andy

Please go to the ER, take if from someone who has had apendisitis and l have lupus please please go to the ER.

I was fooled the time I had my apendisitis I was told by my dad who had his removed also that oh you'll have pain in the lower right side of the stomach and nausea, possible vomitting and fever.

Umm.......nope not me I had very, very mild nausea and that was actually way after we had gone to the ER, no fever, all I had was the pain in my tummy on the right side THAT"S IT!

by the time they agreed that it was that and I went for surgery they said had I waited even another few min it would have burst!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm telling you, you just never know it is better to be safe than sorry. And yup true that we lupies get a lot of swollen stuff but never, never let something like that just sit around.

THe only reason is cause if it were to burst because of our lupus and comprimised immune system it woudln't be good.

Please do go to the ER a little inconvience now might be a lifesaver.

Take care and keep us posted.

KayCee31614
10-29-2006, 04:24 AM
I agree with Stefanie,
I think you should definitely go to the ER fast. I had my Apendix out at the age of 14. This could be very dangerous if they rupture. It could cause severe infection into your intestines and abdominal cavity if they rupture. Please go to the ER immediately.

Kathleen

MARYCAIN
10-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Just because it wasn't appendicitis before doesn't mean it isn't now - medications like prednisone suppress fever and can mask the symptoms of appendicitis and other abdominal problems, so it's important to make sure the ER docs know you have lupus, and what meds you're taking. At the very least you need a complete blood count and urinalysis, and an abdominal ultrasound or CT, so be sure the doctors do a thorough exam and labs before ruling out anything. Some people have atypical symptoms because their appendix is located in a slightly different place, and a skimpy medical exam can miss this. If you feel you are not getting a thorough examination, ask for an attending physician or a GI consult, many ER doctors, especially in larger ERs, are interns or residents who may not be familiar with lupus. You should also make sure the ER calls your own doctor.

AndyD
10-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was stupid and I let it go overnight and luckily it eased off sometime after I finally went to bed and hasn't come back since then. I suppose I should've gone to the ER but I've been 3 times now with the same thing and it's never appendicitis so I didn't go. I was lucky again this time as I'm sure if it was appendicitis it would've been a major problem by now and the pain is almost non-existent at this point. Thanks for caring and I wish all of you the best.

Andy

lupusgirlstefanie
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey

Andy good to hear, I just want to mention that my friend also had her apendix out not to long ago and she was having mild tummy discomfort for three days before it got bad enough to trigger her to go to the ER, she even tried to exersis it off.

So just be aware that even if you had it and it feels as though the pain is getting better if it comes back full force or worse again Please do go to the ER and get a good examination.

take care and hope you feel better!

stjames13
10-30-2006, 08:17 AM
8)
ANDY ,
It may be STRESS, CONSTIPATION or a re-action to your meds but probably is STRESS due to this new diagnosis of LUPUS you got.

But I must agree with the LADIES GO TO THE ER NOW !!!!!!

GET THIS CHECKED OUT ASAP, but first CALM DOWN......and do not help it by being STRESSED OUT !!!!

NOW GO TO THE ER AND FIND OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THIS !!!

STJAMES 8)

GO NOW !!!!! :wink: