PDA

View Full Version : CA members

ejrifkin
10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
anyone else from CA? i live in west la/santa monica area

oh i see someone else posted about southern cal...how do i delete this thing??

Saysusie
11-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Don't worry about deleting - It is quite all right (lol)
I am in Victorville (San Bernardino County) - approx. 50 miles east of Los Angeles!

Saysusie

Kammellia
11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I live locally around westla. I am 31 years old and have been living with Lupus for 16 years. The counties they posted are to far away from our area. If you want chat sometime

adria420
01-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi I am 27 and live in hollywood cali. I am dealing with this too and actually dont know how. I am new to this as well as lupus. The stress is killling me alone...I feel so alone.

bonnie
01-26-2007, 12:41 AM
My name is Bonnie and I'm 26. I live half the week in the Hollywood Hills too! My husband and I spend half the week in Santa Barbara too. I've had a really hard time finding a support group in either area. To the poster above..I am so sorry you feel so alone, you aren't. So many people understand what your going through, and I'm not far away...feel free to send me a private email. Maybe the answer to the problem is to start my own LA support group, don't really know where to start though.

bacchi220
05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Hi. I live in both Laguna/ Palm desert. I travel between both. My sis is from SM.

SwirlyGirly
05-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Hello all Cali members!

I'm further north... I am an hour south of Sacramento, an hour east of San Fran. Little town called Manteca. I have gone to two local support groups and was asked to leave the first because I was too positive and optimistic. The leader said I made the other members feel that I was not really sick at all and just made them feel miserable! The second one I tried was so depressing, no support and not positive at all! Grrr. I'm trying to get up the nerve to try to find another one...

Saysusie
05-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Who would think that it would be so difficult to find support groups in California? There are none in Victorville. Kaiser hospital offers one in Fontana, but that is an hour's drive for me and it requires driving through the Cajon Pass (Southern California's grapevine) which is a very treacherous road when the weather is bad. So......I, too, am rather lonely :(

Saysusie

SwirlyGirly
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Which is exactly why I'm so glad I found this place! **group hugs**

Saysusie
05-19-2008, 06:53 AM
:D

banderosa
05-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi
I just registered here. I had my first bad flare one year ago and right after that, moved to Burlingame, California which is 25 miles south of San Francisco. I have very srong sun sensitivity. Even though I'm using sun-screen, every time I go out I get fevers afterwards, my symptoms worsens. Please, tell me, how do you manage to live in this climate? Or you are not so sun sensitive? I go out with long sleeves, a hat, 50sun-screen - nothing helps. It's always sunny, never cloudy, never rains. I started thinking I'll never have a remission if I live in California. Please, tell me, have you ever had a remission here? Do you swim in pools, do you go hiking, what do you do to protect yourselves from the sun? Does the sun cause flares for you?
Thank you

nants54
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
HI,
I just registered. I'm 26 years old and have been living with lupus for 4 years. I still don't know how to deal with it. I get really stressed out whenever I flare up because I don't know what to do and just want it to go away. I've had three big flares since I've been diagnose. I live in Orange County, CA. Please let me know how everyone else deal with the pain and mini flares, Joint pains, hair loss, fatigue, sever headache, stomach pains etc.. I'm currently taking 5 mg Prednisone tapering 1 mg every 7 days till I'm at zero and 200mg Plaquenil.

Thank you

Saysusie
06-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Banderosa;
I live in SoCal and, yes, I swim, I hike, I enjoy outdoor activities. However, I take lots and lots of precautions. I use sunscreen as body lotion each and every day (rain or shine) with a minimum SPF of 50. I wear tightly woven, loose fitting clothes in the summer that covers my entire body (I dress in layers to keep cool). I wear big floppy hats and sunglasses with UV protection. Then, I limit the amount of time that I am in the sun!
Remission is just as unpredictable as this disease. No one is assured remission, but it does happen. It happens with the help of medication, lifestyle changes, taking precautions, keeping doctor's appointments, eating healthy, and getting regular exercise. This does not guarantee remission, but remission will not occur without these.
I wish you the best

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Saysusie
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi Nants;
Each person has their own experience with Lupus as it does not affect any two persons the same. Most of us deal with our various pains with medication, taking rest periods, limiting our activities and listening to our bodies. The fatigue can be debilitating, I know, but we have to find ways to give our bodies needed rest and to get recuperative sleep. Talk to you doctor about medications that can help in these areas.
The hair loss is another issue entirely. I had to finally wear wigs due to my hair loss. But, you should know that the hair almost always grows back once the symptoms become more under control.
If, while tapering your prednisone, your symptoms are not getting better or they are getting worse, you may have to re-up your dosage until your symptoms subside. Many of us have to play this roller-coaster game with our prednisone, and some of us have to stay on a small dosage to control our symptoms (upping that dosage when we are in a flare). Talk to your doctor about this also, you may have to stay on a higher dosage for a bit longer.
I wish you the very best and hope that you find some relief.

Peace and Blessings
Saysusie

Candace_Lenore
10-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Candace and I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I live in Ontario. If anyone ever wants to meet up to chat, I am here.

soopr
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi everyone, I am looking to start a support group in San Francisco Bay Area. Anyone interested?

magistramarla
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Cool idea, but I live too far south - Monterey Bay.

lrs76
08-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi!

Where are you located? I am in Livermore...