PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

Emmas mom
10-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this sight, was online browsing around for somewhere to go to talk to people who would understand what I"m going through. I'm 22 years old and I live in southern California, in the desert. I have a 3 year old daughter names=d Emmary Jade, she is what keeps me going most days. I was diagnosed with SLE in February 2001 and right now am being tested for hypothyroidism. My T4 is in the range, but the lower end, they prefer it at the higher end. Hopefully everything gets resolved soon. I'll keep you all posted. Hope to meet you all very soon.

Erin :(

KayCee31614
10-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Hi Erin,
You will like this forum a lot. There are a lot of nice people that are very knowledgeable about Lupus and related illnesses. I have SLE, but I don't have a problem with my Thyroid, so I don't know what to say about your thyroid test. Marycaine will be on shortly and she will know what to tell you. I just want to say that I am glad that you found this forum. Hugs, Kathleen.

MARYCAIN
10-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Our wonderful moderator, saysusie, is also from California desert country so I know she will be really happy to "meet" someone from her area - she's on vacation now but will be back next week.

I know it's really hard to raise children when you have lupus - it can make even simple things like playing outside with your kids a real challenge. If you'be been diagnosed since 2001, you know that lupus can cause inflammation in many parts of the body, including the thyroid gland. Sometimes inflammation of the thyroid damages the cells, so they are unable to produce enough thyroid hormone. This condition is called autoimmune thyroiditis or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It can occur by itself, or in connection with lupus or other autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune thyroiditis is the most common cause of thyroid gland failure.

Since the main function of thyroid hormone is to keep the body's metabolism running, people with low thyroid function will have symptoms of a slow metabolism - which can iniclude
Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles

Not everyone with hypothyroidism will have every symptom - like lupus, it varies from person to person. Even some people whose thyroid level is "normal" according to lab tests may have symptoms because their bodies need a higher level of hormone - those patients may need to see an endocrinologist who specializes in hormonal and endocrine diseases.

There are several different replacement thyroid hormones available, and you may have to try a couple of different ones to see what works best for you. Once you start treatment, the symptoms of hypothyroidism go away, but you will need periodic blood tests and the dose of thyroid replacement adjusted.

There are several people on the forum who have hashimoto's - I'm sure threy will be glad to share their experiences with you. In the meantime, welcome! I hope this information helps. If you have specific questions about symptoms of treatments, you may get more responses by posting under the symptoms or medication sections.

I hope you find this forum as warm and welcoming as I have!